The Seeds We Grow

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jeff54321, Jan 23, 2007.

  1. Jeff54321

    Jeff54321 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,094
    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2005
    I think it is good to be as informed as we can possibly be regarding OUR gardens, OUR plants, and OUR food.

    With that in mind here is an interesting fact regarding seeds that points to Monsanto being interested in more than just a few commercial crops:

    "Monsanto became the world's largest vegetable seed company with its January 2005 takeover of Seminis."

    http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_1562.cfm

    I for one intend to be very very careful when buying any seeds as Monsanto's concern goes far beyond corn & soybeans.

    Jeff
     
  2. SquashNut

    SquashNut Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    11,431
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2005
    Location:
    Idaho
    Are you aware they bought Burpee?
     

  3. Paquebot

    Paquebot Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    14,801
    Joined:
    May 9, 2002
    Location:
    South Central Wisconsin
    Burpee had been part of Petoseed until merging with Seminis in 1995. Monsanto bought Seminis over 2 years ago. Burpee's baggage came with the deal. The doom and gloom people are still waiting for something evil to happen and becoming impatient!

    Martin
     
  4. Jeff54321

    Jeff54321 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,094
    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2005
    I have heard that from a few different sources but I am unable to find any actual facts on the subject. What I found states that George C. Ball Jr. owns Burpees and that he is a director at Seminis. Whether or not Monsanto has purchased Burpees through Seminis remains unclear.

    Either way, Burpees is selling Seminis/Monsanto product and I know that a fabulous productive gardens can be grown WITHOUT Burpee seed and for my part that is exactly what I will do.

    Jeff
     
  5. A.T. Hagan

    A.T. Hagan Guest

    We just hashed out the whole Burpee/Monsanto thing a little while ago: http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=159905&highlight=Burpee

    Monsanto DOES NOT own the W. Atlee Burpee company, George C. Ball does. Monsanto did buy Seminis after that company went bankrupt. George C. Ball was a director on the Seminis board but so far as I can find he is no longer on the Seminis board. Other than buying some seed from Seminis I could not establish any present day connection between Burpee and Monsanto.

    If anyone has any factual, verifiable information to the contrary I think we'd all be interested in seeing it.

    .....Alan.
     
  6. Paquebot

    Paquebot Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    14,801
    Joined:
    May 9, 2002
    Location:
    South Central Wisconsin
    With Seminis involved in 40% of the vegetables and fruit produced in the US, does anyone think that we can live on the remaining 60%?

    Masrtin
     
  7. suelandress

    suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

    Messages:
    4,588
    Joined:
    May 10, 2002
    Location:
    The Quiet Corner of CT

    How much of the seed sold as organic does Seminis provide? Is there any safety in that?