Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever hear of it??
It's about the "Law of Attraction" and "Deliberate Creation." ??

I think its basically about the power of positive thinking.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Yes, and it is mostly about very positive thinking, which we need more of on this planet. Believe in yourself, use visualization for what you want to attract to yourself. Don't give negative things your energy or time. Simple but true things these are.

Pat

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
FiddleKat said:
Anyone ever hear of it??
It's about the "Law of Attraction" and "Deliberate Creation." ??

I think its basically about the power of positive thinking.
I have seen it and I think it is mostly a re-hash of the same philosophy that has existed for hundreds (if not thousands of years).

One day I was sitting in the car at the post office and there was a sermon on the radio that kind of went.... "when you ask for something in Jesus name, you have to have faith that you will receive it. You don't think "maybe" my prayer will be answered, you go about your life as though you expect it to happen" I can't remember the scripture he quoted, something about moving a mountain, I believe. Anyway, it sure sounded like alot like the whole "Secret" philosophy to me.

I think that it is a very special thing, like being "in the zone" and I think it only happens once in a while and you cannot control it. Like those days when everything is going just right, or when you have a job interview that you know you ace, and that you have the job.

It would be really great if you could control it. But I don't think that is possible, despite what The Secret movie would have you believe.

donsgal

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
"What the mind can conceive, and believe, it can achieve" Napoleon Hill from his book THINK AND GROW RICH. (required reading before getting married. My ex-'s philosophy bible.)

Angie

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
AngieM2 said:
"What the mind can conceive, and believe, it can achieve" Napoleon Hill from his book THINK AND GROW RICH. (required reading before getting married. My ex-'s philosophy bible.)

Angie
Here is that passage that the preacher was quoting....

Matthew 17:20 (KJV)

"And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you."

donsgal

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
donsgal said:
I have seen it and I think it is mostly a re-hash of the same philosophy that has existed for hundreds (if not thousands of years).

One day I was sitting in the car at the post office and there was a sermon on the radio that kind of went.... "when you ask for something in Jesus name, you have to have faith that you will receive it. You don't think "maybe" my prayer will be answered, you go about your life as though you expect it to happen" I can't remember the scripture he quoted, something about moving a mountain, I believe. Anyway, it sure sounded like alot like the whole "Secret" philosophy to me.

I think that it is a very special thing, like being "in the zone" and I think it only happens once in a while and you cannot control it. Like those days when everything is going just right, or when you have a job interview that you know you ace, and that you have the job.

It would be really great if you could control it. But I don't think that is possible, despite what The Secret movie would have you believe.

donsgal

When I was reading through some of it, they mention the followings of Abraham. And wondered if they were refering to Abraham in the bible. Or where they talking about Abraham Hicks, some other guy who has some part in all of this.

I found it interesting. But yes, it sounded alot like the power of positive thinking to me too.

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
I was thinking about "The Secret" the other day--I heard of it, but never really checked it out.

I have been a proponant of positive thinking my whole life. I have achieved my dreams through prayer and positive actions. I don't know about "The Secret" but one thing I learned is to write something down. Whether it be a prayer or a plan. Draw pictures of it. And then act as if you already have it. Begin preparing for it.

Just one for instance:

When I was divorced and single. I began to be lonely. So I finally prayed for a husband, someone I could love and who would love me. Then I started to prepare for him. I even went out and got a big easy chair. I started keeping my house better. I didn't set a place at the table for him, but just about.

Pretty soon...here he came.

I love that book THINK AND GROW RICH. I've lost my copy. I think I'll get another one. Every page of that book is true.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
I have the book. It was given to me but I only read half of it. Seemed to me to you'd have to go around constantly thinking the positive thought and throwing out the right vibes. Gads, who can control their thinking like that? I AM a positive person but sheesh!!!!! It was all a little much for me.....

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
FiddleKat said:
When I was reading through some of it, they mention the followings of Abraham. And wondered if they were refering to Abraham in the bible. Or where they talking about Abraham Hicks, some other guy who has some part in all of this.
Abraham Hicks is the medium the Hicks' channel that gave them their unformation - as in psychic medium. You can read about them on the Internet.

The Secret is more than just positive thinking - it is using the powers of the universe to your good- manipulating them to your advantage. Psych K is another piece of this as is energy healing. I think it is very harmful in that it turns people away from God and onto other powers. I because I do believe in God and in Satan. Just my 2 cents. I don't take it lightly.

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You bring up an excellent point callieslamb..............instead of tapping into the powers of the universe, wouldn't it be better to tap into a much higher power? As in God!!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I think that gambling addicts are probably the epitomy of a positive thinker and I don't see too many of them rolling in dough and they certainly try to enlist the "powers of the universe" or god or whatever you wanna call it quite frequently. conclusion... poppycock

·
Dances in moonlight
821 Posts
I've got to be honest, and maybe some of the other pagans on the board can back me up, but all of this sounds exactly like casting a spell. You focus your energy and thoughts upon your desired result, and work towards acheiving that goal. I cannot tell you how many times we've been deperately broke, needing gas money for the car or rent money, casting a simple money spell, and within a few days, some money comes into our pockets, through either finding a $20 in a barely worn jacket, or getting a dividend check from our investments - just in time.

On a side note, I also heard (not confirmed though) that the author says not to look at fat people, because that will make you fat. Only look at skinny people, because that will make you skinny...Can anyone who's read the book confirm or deny? Thanks...

·
Registered
630 Posts
Callieslamb said:
The Secret is more than just positive thinking - it is using the powers of the universe to your good- manipulating them to your advantage. Psych K is another piece of this as is energy healing. I think it is very harmful in that it turns people away from God and onto other powers. I because I do believe in God and in Satan. Just my 2 cents. I don't take it lightly.

My thoughts exactly, Callieslamb. I'll go with earnest, heart-felt prayer and faith over worldly mysticism any day. Besides, prayer works consistently for me. Some might say it's the same forces at work when I pray as the principles of The Secret, but the difference is that I give God all the glory and credit because I know it is His work and His will that is in control.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.