"The Runs"

Discussion in 'Goats' started by 9tda1dr, Dec 5, 2006.

1. 9tda1dr

9tda1dr Member

Our nine month female goat has "the runs". What can I do to help her?

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Any other symptoms?? When was she last wormed and with what?? Any recent feed/hay changes?? Is your weather as stressful as ours has been lately?(cold/snow/ice) If so, it could be a flare-up of worms or coccidiosis....or?? Any other info you give would be helpful.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

The "runs" is a symptom. You can treat the symptom with Pepto Bismol or baking soda. But then you need to find the cause. It could be diet, worms, coccidiosis, and so on. And if the symptoms continue, you need to make sure she doesnt get dehydrated. Probios, plain yogurt or an electrolyte solution of water, baking soda ,salt and corn syrup can help with that.

4. 9tda1dr

9tda1dr Member

No other symptoms at this time. I wormed her about two weeks ago w/ a "pellet type" worming feed. She and her sister recently got into some cattle feed and some corn which may have been the cause?? I've since done a better job of keeping this from their reach. The weather has gotten colder, but not for long periods of time. Her sister is doing fine; she's a couple months younger. I'll try Pepto Bismol and or baking soda...how much? Any help w/ the recipie for the electrolyte solution? Thanks in advance...

5. ozark_jewels

Ok, if she was mine, I would worm her with Cydectin Cattle Pour-On at the rate of 1 cc per 25 lbs. The pelleted wormers I tried in the past weren't worth the money as they didn't work well. So I would use the Cydectin to be on the safe side. If she is in good flesh and growing well, she may just need wormed. How long ago did they get into the extra feed and corn?? That could very well be the reason if it was within the last few days.
    For electrolyte solution, I just mix up about two tablespoons of raw honey, a teaspoon of baking soda, a teaspoon of salt, in about a quart of warm water. Some goats will drink it, others have to be drenched.

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Electrolyte Solution
    1 Qt Water
    1/4 cup Karo Syrup or Black strap molasses
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp baking soda

You can Google "Homemade pedialyte" and find lots of variations

7. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I give 30 CC's of Pepto in a syringe (no needle obviously) orally, for diarrhea if it's from a known cause, and too much rich cattle feed could certainly do it. I repeat at 12-24hrs as needed. I leave baking soda out free choice in a pan for my goats. The pelleted wormers, like manna pro positive pellets, don't work. Reworm her as per ozark's instructions above. (And your other goats). And do give her some probios or yogurt with a live culture. My goats love the banana flavor.

8. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

And give that orally, not as a pour-on. (You probably knew this, but just wanted to make sure.)

9. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I think it's common practice to take away all forms of concentrated feed (like grain) and only provide less concentrated feed like hay or browse when a goat gets diarrhea plus continue to provide the usual baking soda and minerals.

10. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

No expert here.

If the goat has runs really bad it could be due to having worms, if have worms worm the goat. I worm my goats with either Ivomec or Valbazen. If the runs smells really awful you could be dealing with Cocci because when they get Cocci it smells really awful. If ate to much corn and not being that long ago that could be the problem so do not give no more grain right now just give hay,loose goat minerals, fresh clean drinking water and if have green leaves at your place give some fresh green leaves because that will help a goat get feeling even more better. Only way I would give Pepto is if I knew I wasn't dealing with another problem.

How to see if your goat is needing worm is get a fecal done by a vet or check the eye lids by pulling the eyelid down if white you know the goat needs wormed, if a light white still needs wormed if a pink on up close to like a red the goat does not need wormed.

Next do not let the goat dehydrated. Check the goat for dehydration. Pinch the skin; if it snaps back into place, the goat is not seriously dehydrated. If the skin stays 'tented' like beaten egg whites, the goat is seriously dehydrated. Mix electrolytes ReSorb or equivalent) and orally drench the animal to prevent dehydration. I sometimes use powerade or pedylite if a goat is showing signs of this.

But first find out what is causing the runs it maybe the corn the goat ate. I hope that is all.

Good Luck hope I helped some.

11. ozark_jewels

I can't believe I forgot to mention that the pour-on is given orally...I *always* mention that....must be brain freeze. :rolleyes: Thanks for mentioning that, it is very important. :)

12. 9tda1dr

9tda1dr Member

Thanks so much for the information! I appreciate everyone's willingness to help us--this is great! We removed the corn and cow feed and took measures to ensure they don't access any additional feed. We have a 3 acre pasture which is partially wooded, and our two goats have it all to themselves--so they have plenty of leaves. My wife took some baking soda down to our goat in the morning and by later today she noticed an improvement in our goat's condition. We'll be sure to keep this as free choice from now on. We also have a mineral block in the barn. I just checked on her a few minutes ago and both she and her sister came running to me. Her disposition is good. I checked her stool and it isn't like pellets, but it's no longer runny; it has shape and is solid. It also doesn't smell bad. I pinched her skin and it snapped back into place. I will make her some electrolyte solution and I'll also replace my wormer for the Cydectin. Thanks again!

13. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

if you just started her on the corn that is probably what did it.

Taking her off the corn like you said probably did the trick.