Another excerpt from the book The Ohio Frontier, Crucible of the Old Northwest 1720-1830 by R. Douglas Hurt. Buckeye farmers sold their hog crop either on the hoof or already dressed. As early as 1810 , Ohio farmers drove an estimated 40,000 hogs over the Appalachians to the eastern markets and during the War of 1812 vast amounts of Northern Ohio hogs were driven to Detroit and other military garrisons in that region.... Through the 1840s thousands of hogs would be driven eastward each year...The most important swine route eastward followed the present day throughfares of U.S. Highways 35 and 66 through Gallipolis and the Kanawha Valley. Although the distance to market was long, hogs were frequently driven with cattle and allowed to forage on the wasted feed. Hogs were driven at the rate of 8 to 15 miles a day, and 2 months may pass before the drive terminated at the eastern market. If fed and driven properly, these swine would maintain even gain weight over the long trail drive. There farmers frequently bought the pigs for 5 to 6 cents per pound and fattened them for slaughter. Others were sold directly to the packers in Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York City.