The results are in for the heifers teats

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Nov 21, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well we found out what the heifers teats were affected with. Would you beleive it was a wart? Sure is, that growth was a wart gone wild, and our swiss has one on one of her teats. Also several others have it, but it is either on an ear, or somewhere else. I contribute the problem to the fact the idiotic contractor which delayed me getting the heifers in the barn out of the elements caused this. I knew it had to do with the wet weather, and there was nothing I could do. The reason why I thought it was related to the weather was because it seemed to manifest last month, of course now they are in the barn each night, off the wet, and out of the elements. I shouldn't see anymore issues in that department. It was extremely frustrating trying to get the contractor to finish, he was going to finish a week before it rained hard (the 2nd time), but decided to paint somewhere. Ah well, what is done is done, atleast the barn is done.

Jeff

2. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Dang!!! That was some wart ...

So, is there any hope for her?

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Nope, she will be shipped this coming tuesday.

4. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

That's too bad, Jeff. :(

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, though ... we all learned something new from it, that's for sure!

Will the Brown Swiss be OK? If I remember correctly, only 1 of her teats was affected, right?

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

The swiss can be milked as a 3 teater. That holstein had 1 good teat, so it would never have worked. We are going to treat that similar thing on the swiss with compound W, to kill the wart, and who knows it could go down. But if it doesn't, she isn't a lost cause like the holstein.

Also I was asking our vet back a couple days ago when he came to see the results, etc. He said warts have to live on a host animal, or similar. The virus cant live out in the open, by itself. So this leads to one thing, who brought it in? Back in July, atleast early July I remember seeing some warts on a holstein heifer, I knew that little can be done with them, in most cases you leave them alone, and let the body build immunity. Well this one particular heifer came from a farm where I also got the holstein with the bad case of warts on her teats. Back last winter we got this ananymous letter saying "you bought 10 animals from ***** dairy (I wont list the name here), call ______ this person to get the health records for the animals in question. There has been a history of health problems." That isn't a direct quote, but it is similar. So what comes to mind is that, the fact that one of the holsteins had warts, and then fame gets it x10, with the swiss getting one on her teats. Someone did bring it in, and I doubt it was the jerseys, or the swiss or the 4 other holsteins. Can't proove it, however it seems fishy to me that someone who sent us a letter and single out that farm, then this stuff happens. It can make you wonder.

Jeff

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Sorry to hear that there is no help for the holstein, at least the Swiss was saved from a similar fate. Good luck with the "alien" teats, bye.

7. Mama C

Mama C Well-Known Member

Hi Jeff, was just thinking about your teat problem the other day wondering if you found out anything, thanks for letting everyone know.
    Your vet said the virus has to live on an animal host, so they have to touch each other to get it? Could it live for a while on the milking inflations?