The Recepie Thread LOL

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tucker, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Am I overdoing it :shrug:

I remember everyone saying they wanted recepies and since the crash happened ..

hub thinks I'm nuts typeing in all the recepies :rolleyes:

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Well... if you're overdoing it, probably I am too. After all, no one forces anyone to read (or cook) what we post. Tell your Hub that some of us out there are very glad to read new ideas for cooking those tasty little beasties....

3. animalfarmer

animalfarmer Well-Known Member

Keep them comming.Good work,thanks.

4. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

NO!! you are not overdoing it! Keep them coming! It has been very helpful to me anyways! Thank you for taking the time to do it!

5. Sinenian

Sinenian Well-Known Member

No you're not!
    Anyone that raises rabbits for themselves will want all those great ideas! :goodjob:

6. BillyGoat

BillyGoat Well-Known Member

Would anyone have a good recipe to pickle eggs?

7. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Billy ,, My dad taught me an easy way when he taught me to can cheyenne peppers ,,,

wash jars and rings ,, put clean rings & new lids in a pot ,, add water and bring to a simmer ,, boiling the new lids softenes the rubber so it seals better ,,

boil and peel your eggs ,, older eggs peel easier ,, if you can leave the eggs in the fridge ,, turning carton every other day ,, for 2 - 3 weeks ,, this allows the peel to come off easier because the eggs have dried out 'some' ... fresh eggs will not peel well AT ALL ..

put boiled eggs in jars ,, I then set jars in hot water in the sink ,, 1/2 to 3/4 high ,, or if just 1 - 2 pint jars can set in a bowl of hot water ,,

now ,, hub likes 'hot' eggs sometimes ,, you can either add a few pods of cheyenne pepper / tabasco peppers or 2 - 3 tsp. of red pepper flakes ,,

also I have just added 2 tsp. of garlic bits / onions bits for a different flavor ..

pour white vinegar in a small pot ,, bring to boil ,, if you're doing 2 pint jars full of eggs ,, pour 1 quart in pot ,, you 'll have some left ,,

keeping the egg filled jar in hot water keeps it from shattering when you pour the hot vinegar in ,, I've only had 1 to shatter = but I still do in the sink ...

set the jar in the sink ,, use tongs to get ring and lid from hot water ,, have two seperate hand towles ready ,,

I don't use food coloring ,, if you want to color add a few drops now ,,

carefully pour the boiling vinegar in the jar ,, leaving about 1/2 inch room from top of jar ,, set lid on top of jar and tighten ring ,,

don't tighten too much ,, hub has tightened too much and spun the ring completly around ,, so I boil extra lids & ring JIC ..

we will pour 1 jar ,, set pot back on stove bringing back to boil while hub tightens it ,, the fill next jar ,, refill pot with vinegar bring to boil for all the jars you are doing ,,

this is how I do hubs cheyenne peppers too ,, I will pack the peppers in the clean jars ,, and boil the vinegar to pour in ,,

also do pickled okra the same way ,, will pack full of okra with a few cheyenne peppers because hub likes them hot too ..

I will set a towel on the counter and will set all the jars out in rows a few inches appart ,, and for hours you will hear the pops when they seal ,, if I have 1 - 3 that don't seal for some reason ,, I will set them inside the fridge door and they will be ready for hub to eat in a few weeks ,, the vinegar and the cold will keep them from going bad even if they don't seal ..

lord I can run on & on & on & on

8. BillyGoat

Tucker.....thank you so much for the information.

My hubby posted the question, but wanted me to respond because he types with one finger. LOL

He really appreciates it.

I don't have my grandmothers recipe, but I do remember that she used a little bit of beet juice for the coloring.

Thanks! :goodjob:

9. BillyGoat

I forgot to add, hubby couldn't remember where he put his post, until I found it in "Rabbits" thread. LOL Then he ask about pickled eggs! Men!! :shrug:

10. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Ya ,, Yep we have done that too ,, its funny ,, I remember helping mom and grandma can food when I was growing up ,, but I never canned after I left home ,,

I like to garden ,, but never canned anything ,, but hub likes peppers ,, hot pickled okra , pickled green tomatoes , etc .

so a few years ago I decided I was going to set hub up ,, lol I started canning and I fill a large bookcase up ,,

that 1st year I canned hub ... 132 pints of peppers & hot okre , hot green tomatoes & 49 quarts ,, :p hub swore I was trying to collect on insurance canning all that hot stuff ROFL !! :angel:

I have had people that hub has given presents of jars to ,, come back and buy jars from me ,, 1 lady bought 10 jars to give to her grown kids ,, lol she said she couldn't keep them out of her's when they visited :p

I've not got advanced enough to try preasure canning ,, but boiling vinegar I can do :p

11. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I wanted to thank you guys for putting all the recipes back up. I was so disappointed when our thread was destroyed. I'll dig around again and see if I can find the ones I put up before, although of course, none were recipes I'd tried. I got them from old threads on here. Thanks again!!