Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually lived in Mr. Roger's neighborhood. He lived across the street from me in a nice mansion in Pittsburgh from 6th to 8th grade when I lived in the second floor apt of an older mansion divided into 4 apartments. When he met my friends on the street (I never saw him in person myself) he was polite and kind even when the older hoodlums said something trying to be rude.

I probably watched his show the most of anything- as a young child than as a mocking teen with younger siblings watching it. The epitome of kindness and niceness and don't be afraid. Telling kids not to worry that they might get sucked into the bathtub drain when it's emptying (think he was a granddad by then).

He was a Presb. minister by degree and a TV music type by trade. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Rogers
Noone in Pittsburgh (that I know of) has anything bad to say about him. THis past year NPR played a blurb from him where he said "I would say to adults who remember my show just what I said to them as children: I like you just the way you are." Guess it reflects more me and my mental state that day than him but I had to pull over from driving and have a good cry.

Fred Rogers was a grand wonderful man and the world is a better place for his time on it, and I miss him.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
When I was a little girl, growing up in a dysfunctional home, I wished with all my heart that Fred Rogers was my dad. As an adult I sobbed when I heard he had died.

Thank you Mean Dean!
God bless you and yours
Deb

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
When I was a teenager a friend brought to school a Playgirl that had Fred Rogers in it.. it was a good article and, though he wasn't naked, it did have him at his weight bench in a Speedo type bathing suit:) And nothing else. It was awesome!
It was the issue with Ted Nugent in it I think.
But, I liked Mr Rogers too.. I thought I would just share that I have seen him without the sweater on.

·
Banned
2,113 Posts
As the mother of five boys, I really appreciated that there was a positive television male role model who showed my kids it was ok for males to be kind, respectful, and gentle.

I loved Mr. Rogers.

Janis

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I loved his show too as a kid. Even though he was considered nerdy with his sweaters, I thought he was the perfect grandpa type. My two youngest kids watched his show in reruns when they were younger.

As an adult I wrote to him to tell him how much I admired him, and he sent me back a signed photo. That and the one from Paul Harvey are two of the most cherished in my collection.

Mr. Rogers was a class act...

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
I found Mr. Rogers to be a bit odd and unsettling as a kid.

But, I grew to appreciate who he was and what he did when I had children of my own. Especially during his later years, his show provided a resting place in the broadcast storm that is television. His calmness and compassion were a virtue.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Mr Rogers wasn't on tv when I was a kid - my "hero" was Capt. Kangaroo. Later, I watched Mr Rogers with my kids - we all loved him! None of us liked the frantic pace of Sesame Street & other shows for children, but at the times we had a tv we watched the Capt & Mr Rogers.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I watched him as a kid too. Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers were great to me. I liked that little trolley car and used to think how neat it would be to have tracks all through the walls of the house with a little car on it. I used to imagine sending notes to the kitchen "hey mom, would you send me a pb sandwich?". That would have been fun.

I remember one particular episode where he pulled his legs up and put a blanket over them to look like two mountains and then proceeded to play with little toy people and cars. I did the same thing that very night in bed.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
On new year's eve we went to the Children's Museum in Pittsburgh

There's a "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood" in the Museum
The tree
the trolley (the little one and a big life size one)
the sneakers & a cardigan in glass cases :)
The puppets

When you leave the "neighborhood' in the museum
there's a porch swing and I took a video of the girls singing
"It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood"

It was fun -
It reminded me of when I watched him as a little kid
My girls have enjoyed watching the re-runs as well

“Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people.” ~ Fred Rogers

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
He was just the best!! My kids loved him!! He is very much missed. He was a fine person, full of class. When anyone insuniates that he was a pedophile it makes me very angry!!!!

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
This thread has made me cry.

It is SO SAD that today's society labels any older man who loves children a pedophile. What is WRONG with that?!?! Didn't we all have (or wish for) grandparents like Mr. Rogers?

Neither of my grandfathers was the "idyllic" Grandpa. One was/is disconnected from the family, the other, an alcoholic, probably with PTSD. But my own dad? He had his own issues, but I love him dearly, and he ADORES children. ANY children. He'll coo the babies of strangers in the street, and it freaks out the parents. WHY? Because of today's society. It's sad, very sad.

I'm not sure what's more sad - a parent's fear, or the persecution of a truly caring person giving attention to a child.

Sad. And one of the reasons I hesitate to have children of my own. :(

Mr. Rogers, I miss you. And all that you represented.

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
I think he was a gentile soul who did good things. Unfortunately in today's day /age, children grow up too quickly or want to be percieved as such and so they are too quick to dismiss their own childhood. As a means of manifesting their "sophistication" , children become annoyed with images that they liked only a short time before. Watch how kids react to Barney, or Teletubbies or Mr. Rogers. In their opinion, those characters are now, somehow "beneath them" and they look to mock them or belittle them. It's sad that they can't just move on and let another generation enjoy. When we moved away from Lamb Chop or Howdy Doody, we didn't feel the need to make kids 3 or 4 years younger than us, feel embarassment or shame for enjoying those things. Now if you're not into Grand Theft Auto , hijacking cars and gang banging, somehow "you're not cool" Sad.

·
Registered
504 Posts
When my son was little, he loved Mr. Rogers. One day he came running to me with a penny and said, "Look Mommy the trolley is on the back of the penny!"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts