The real deal on HDTV ? Need advice on TV purchase

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by clovis, Nov 26, 2005.

1. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Our TV died last week.

We watch enough TV in the winter to justify a new set.

Got up yesterday and bought a new 27" analog TV for $112 from Best Buy. It is a nice set.

I am worried we wasted our money since HDTV is coming in and analog is being phased out.

Should I buy a new HDTV compatible set or keep this one?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!
    clove

2. lewbest

lewbest Well-Known Member

While we're getting answers on this I have some questions too that might be covered in the same replies from someone knowledgeable. I have dishnet. do I need another converter box? is there an extra charge for hdtv? What about recording programs on a "regular" vcr? Also see hd "recievers" advertised & (cheaper) hdtv "monitors." With dishnet will I need an "hdtv" or just a "hd monitor"?

Thanks!

Lew in TX

3. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

When our analog tv dies or gets to expensive to repair, we're going to get an hdtv ready one. More and more programming is available and the picture is much better.

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

From what I understand about it, and that isn't much, you can add a converter box to an analog TV to receive hdtv signals.

5. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I've seen the converter HD to analog on sale, even at Walmart.

There is an ED tv which is enhanced digital but not all the way to HD>

My newest TV is HD. LCD flat panel.
    On cable I have to get a separate HD cable box, and cables to access HD tv at this time.

I do notice regular tv shows and dvd's sure are sharper with this new little HD LCD tv.... It's enough different that I want to get a larger one for the living room as soon as I can....

Angie

6. Ozark-Dew

Ozark-Dew AMDG

I would wait and use this one...if it survives through to the time (2yrs) when digital broadcast is mandated you can 1) replace it at that time as the hdtv sets will be a lot more reasonably priced than they are now..since they will be the norm also the quality of picture and performance will be better in 2 years....OR you can buy a converter that will turn digital signal into analog so you can view it on your current really good DEAL television set.

7. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

We have a tv with built-in HDTV. My husband loves it because of the clear picture, but that is only when we're getting a good signal. We only get three channels because we're not willing to pay for cable. When the signal goes bad on an HD channel, you lose sound and the picture either freezes or goes completely. When the signal is bad on analog, we can usually still follow whatever show is on because the sound is still somewhat there.

The only reason I agreed to paying way more than we wanted for a new tv after our old one went out was because the salesman said that analog was being phased out and replaced by HD. I wish we would have just purchased another analog, because we don't watch enough tv to make it worth the hundreds we spent for a clearer picture some of the time.

8. dalilies

dalilies Well-Known Member

I worked in Sear's electronics a couple Christmas's ago. It comes down to how important is TV to you. HD will give you a clearer picture, but you will be able to buy a converter box for your analog set when everything changes over. Last time I heard, they are talking about pushing the mandatory change to 2009. You will also have more and more shows with the black bars at the top and bottom as more programing goes to widescreen.

We don't watch much tv and the black bars at the top and bottom don't bother me, so we are saving our money for things we like more, like ducks!

HTH,
    Jennifer

9. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

you can convert them but the proplem is more and more movies are format to a differant screen that is why you get a black band on the top and bottom of yoyr screen

10. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

If you use satellite or cable then you will never see a differance when analog goes away. Only the over the air will be affected. Cable/sat will convert the HD to analog for you.

11. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Be VERY carefull, MOST of the HD converters are NOT HD to NTSC analog. They are just tuners for HD ready sets and will nto work on your basic ntsc analog sets.

I dont know of ANY converter that will take an HD signal and compress it into a an NTSC analog signal.

12. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

In Oct there was a statement that the new phase in date is now April 2009 for digital transmission.

13. mike3367

mike3367 lost in my own mind

just to clarify some thing hd ready means you need some sort of box to make the tv have a hd pic. the magnavox and the rca big screen tv's that wally world sell now starting oct 30 are true hd tv's meaning that a out side antenna can pick up the hd signal that the networks send that way. for you money the hd tv's are down enough to buy they are a digital tv any ways and they will clean up the signal that you get now and make it better. plus satallite is digital already so it will look real nice on the hd tv's. also when they do to the hd signal you will have to buy the converter box to make your picture 4.3 again and not the 16.9 they gonna show when the do go hd all the time, so your old tv's will work but you'll have to buy the converter to make it fill out the screen

14. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

If you don't care about picture or sound quality, you did fine. Eventually when analog tv is phased out (2008 now I think?) there will by that time be pretty cheap converter boxes available.

There will be no charge for the broadcast hdtv, it'll be free just like it is now.

You may or may not be able to record the shows. The tv networks want to keep you from recording them. I haven't been following this so I don't know where it ended up.

HDTV ready ones will always need an external hd receiver. This can be just an OTA (over the air) reciever, or it can recieve HD signals from both an OTA antenna and a satellite or cable company. HDTVs with a built in receiver will just connect up to a rabbit ears or rooftop antenna.

The one additional note is that from what some people report, if you have a really fuzzy but watchable picture on your tv now, on the HD channel you may not be able to reliably get a signal. You may need to upgrade your antenna in certian conditions.