Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overweight children are stigmatized by their peers as early as age 3 and even face bias from their parents and teachers, giving them a quality of life comparable to people with cancer.

Youngsters who report teasing, rejection, bullying and other types of abuse because of their weight are two to three times more likely to report suicidal thoughts as well as to suffer from other health issues such as high blood pressure and eating disorders, researchers said.

“The stigmatization directed at obese children by their peers, parents, educators and others is pervasive and often unrelenting,” researchers with Yale University and the University of Hawaii at Manatoa wrote in the July issue of Psychological Bulletin.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19725025/

Parents of my generation gave whippings. We must have been amazingly resilient. The made us do difficult physical work. They made us eat what we didn't want to eat. We had to go to church. We had to make good grades and respect our teachers or there might be another whipping. Quitting was seldom an option.

The man mom was sleeping with was dad. And she was married to him.

For all of our parent's ignorance and misdeeds, most of the people of my generation prize their childhood. We got educations even if it meant working for them. People not only raised children without EIC and ACTC, but they actually paid income tax.

I feel quite sorry for many of today's children who don't get whippings, who eat whatever they want, who play while sitting or just watch, who do not learn how to work, who do not learn to show respect to others, who can not accomplish unless all obstacles are removed and motivation is provided. I feel sorry because many children are living lesser lives for lesser time than what they otherwise might.

6,637 Posts
primroselane said:
I feel quite sorry for many of today's children who don't get whippings, who eat whatever they want, who play while sitting or just watch, who do not learn how to work, who do not learn to show respect to others, who can not accomplish unless all obstacles are removed and motivation is provided. I feel sorry because many children are living lesser lives for lesser time than what they otherwise might.
Outstanding!

·
Premium Member
3,701 Posts
While I don't agree with the whipping part, I do agree that some kids today have no motivation. They are allowed to sit at the tv or computer games for hours while other people do the chores. They are not made to get jobs and support themselves and complain when they do. At 15 I had to get a job. I gave mom 12.50 a week out of the 30 I made. Between my sis and I we paid the 100 a month rent on moms house. Some kids work hard but the majority have no work ethic at all and expect everything handed to them. They want to make 15 an hour right out of high school. Parents! Step up to the plate...

·
Homestead Dreamer
878 Posts
Parents of my generation gave whippings. We must have been amazingly resilient. The made us do difficult physical work. They made us eat what we didn't want to eat. We had to go to church. We had to make good grades and respect our teachers or there might be another whipping. Quitting was seldom an option.

The man mom was sleeping with was dad. And she was married to him.

For all of our parent's ignorance and misdeeds, most of the people of my generation prize their childhood. We got educations even if it meant working for them. People not only raised children without EIC and ACTC, but they actually paid income tax.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
What's really sad about that is the ever-popular embrace of a victim mentality. If a child is overweight, that probably means several things: their health will be less than optimal (extremely high probability of poor health for those who are obese as children); they will struggle with social issues and athletic pursuits; they will likely have fewer potential mates than their thinner peers; they will likely earn less as adults.

Maybe instead of crying about the unfairness of it all...we should help the kids assume responsibility for their own bodies and lose the danged weight? Playing the victim card here seems even stupider than usual. What on the planet do we have more control over than our own bodies?

And even 30-some years ago when I was growing up, children were not the superstars of the household that they are today. Adults' lives were not scheduled around their child's recreational activities; children were often left out of the "good stuff" (restaurant meals and vacations) that their parents had worked hard for; dinner menus were not planned around the kids' picky tastes. Somehow, adults abdicated responsibility and children were left in charge...with predictable results.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I dont know that being an overweight child necessarily means that the child is lazy & spoiled or that the parents have no control. My grand-neice was overweight up until a year ago. She is an honor-roll student, is in the Talented and Gifted program at school, babysits, anything she really wants she pays for herself,her family has never been able to afford cable so not much of a TV watcher but she has always played a lot of sports.

I think that maybe she was so chubby because of body-type. Her dad was an overweight kid who ended up being a very tall man. She has gotten a whole lot taller in the past year (5'6" right now and she's not quite 12 yet) and has turned into a tall, slim, beautiful girl.

I wouldn't go judging a child (or her parents) just on outward appearances.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
primroselane said:
While I think one should think once/twice/thrice before doling out corporal punishment (and it should never be administered while a parent is angry), I think the saddest part of this is that kids today just don't have as much fun as we did. We certainly had a lot of farm chores to keep us busy, but there was lots of fun to be had too. We played baseball in the pasture using dried cow patties as bases. We built our own "high jump" bar using some old boards, a few nails, and a cane pole. No tree was too high/hard to climb. Kids today live "virtually". We sweated when we had fun!

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
I think luck/genes has something to do with it. Although DH and I certainly encourage (a little) an active lifestyle, our kids do nowhere as much work as two generations ago, walk nowhere near as much as I and my generation did (now they only leave home in the car, even when we were closer in to town). And certainly I am getting fatter on what I keep in the house to eat. My kids' main activities are computer, TV not far behind in summer time. Yet they are skinny as rails.

Maybe it's because I am the only one in the family who eats for comfort and luckily I never taught the kids that....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts