Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We homeschool, and I depend heavily on the library for the preschool unit studies. Every week for years now, I go in with a list of books that I have pulled off the internet and out of resource books. I'm in and out in less than 30 minutes.

I went in today and found out that they have thrown out the classification system for the juvenile books! They are no longer filed by authors last name for fiction and picture books. :Bawling:

When I asked why she said no one knew how to find anything anyway, so she might as well make it look nicer by sorting them according to height. :help:

I asked her if she kept a list of where each book is so they can be found..........she said she had not thought of it, but how hard can it be? :flame:

I turned around and walked out. I couldn't think of a single thing to say, so I just left. I can drive 45 minutes to get to another library, I can buy all the books (if I win the lottery, which I do not play), or I can spend hours each week playing hide and seek. I'll probably just plan 3 weeks ahead (the checkout period) and drive to the next town. But for some reason, this really bothers me.

·
Registered
509 Posts
RockyGlen said:
We homeschool, and I depend heavily on the library for the preschool unit studies. Every week for years now, I go in with a list of books that I have pulled off the internet and out of resource books. I'm in and out in less than 30 minutes.

I went in today and found out that they have thrown out the classification system for the juvenile books! They are no longer filed by authors last name for fiction and picture books. :Bawling:

When I asked why she said no one knew how to find anything anyway, so she might as well make it look nicer by sorting them according to height. :help:

I asked her if she kept a list of where each book is so they can be found..........she said she had not thought of it, but how hard can it be? :flame:

I turned around and walked out. I couldn't think of a single thing to say, so I just left. I can drive 45 minutes to get to another library, I can buy all the books (if I win the lottery, which I do not play), or I can spend hours each week playing hide and seek. I'll probably just plan 3 weeks ahead (the checkout period) and drive to the next town. But for some reason, this really bothers me.
Sounds to me like you have a very lazy librarian. I think that I would find out who is in charge and complain to them. I have never heard of anything like that before.
Hillbillybob

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Whats hard here is Finding books on the Subjects I want to read, Yes I do read. The card catalog will show they have the book. But when you go in ,They say they NEVER have had that book. Even the next towns Liabrary is the same way!

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Contact your county office and ask to speak to someone about how the library's being run..! That is the most stupid thing I have heard in a while.. What gives her the right to change the system???

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She has been the librarian for years. All I can figure is she is making some kind of statement or something. I know that she has wanted to get rid of the computers (they have 8 of them) because that is all kids do, is go online and play violent video games. Maybe she is trying to make a point about libraries being about books? I don't know, but she called me a few minutes ago and said if I will give her a list of books each week, she will have them pulled and ready. I still do not get why they did this, though..........and I may boycott it until it is fixed. It's just stupid.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Rocky...we have the same problem here. Where I live there is no classification system and they only let us take so many at a time (like 7, I think). This is no good for a HSer!!! The library in the next county has a GREAT juvenile section (almost its own separate library) w/ a great fiction AND research selection and still use the good ol Dewey decimal system (which my kids are learning to use). The best part is, even though they only check out for 2 weeks, you can recheck for another 2 weeks over the phone or online. Trust me, it is worth the drive and I get what I need for the whole month. It does stink that I have to do all the extra planning and driving b/c of a bad library!

Good luck to you, I feel your pain!...Rachael

·
Registered
419 Posts
Isn't the dewey decimal system library law :shrug: ?lol I can not believe that she would arrange the books by height. I would definately complain to the board of directors.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rachael, Our library used to be great for homeschoolers. The limit is 10 books, but if you homeschool there is no limit, and no fines for overdue books or movies other than adult fiction.

Have they ever said WHY they don't use a classification system?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
She sounds like a "box of rocks" type person. Nothing upstairs, lights on, nobody home.

Complain loudly! Do it at a higher level. Ask who she reports to, and go on up the line.

That is totally moronic!

She's NOT a librarian if that is how she runs the place.

Eeeegads!

·
Übernerd
502 Posts
When I asked why she said no one knew how to find anything anyway, so she might as well make it look nicer by sorting them according to height.
Wait... what? I worked at a library part-time in high school and frequent them often (I'm a book-a-holic), and I've never heard of anything like it in my life. Heck, even when our local library was renovating and moved their collection into a portable trailer while the building was being expanded, they still sorted the books properly! I wonder if she's a certified librarian (as in one holding a degree in library science)- I can't imagine someone with an iota of professional pride deciding to "sort" the books that way. Completely insane, unless the whole kids' collection is, like, five books.

Definitely write a letter- that's completely unprofessional and renders the entire juvenile fiction section essentially useless, since no one can find the book they want without looking through the whole collection (well, unless they just happen to know the book's height). Madness!

Actually, a thought just occurred to me. If this woman is as lazy as she sounds and running the kids' section on her own (or mostly on her own), I'll bet dollars to donuts that she just got bored doing all of the shelf reading. Shelf reading is when you go through and check the numbers/names on all the books on the shelves to make sure they're in order. It's got to be one of the most boring jobs I've ever done. You have to do it, though, or people can't find what they're looking for. That's the only possible thing I can think of that would explain just ditching any formal ordering system of books- and it's not a reasonable or valid explanation, since it's really just laziness.

Isn't the dewey decimal system library law
The Dewey decimal system only applies to non-fiction books, since they're sorted by subject (then author's last name within a subject). Fiction books just go by author's last name. There are other cataloging systems for nonfiction (the University of Delaware uses the Library of Congress system in its library, and York Uni uses some weird system of its own), but I think all the public libraries I've been to have used good old Dewey.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Faustus said:
I'll bet dollars to donuts that she just got bored doing all of the shelf reading. Shelf reading is when you go through and check the numbers/names on all the books on the shelves to make sure they're in order. It's got to be one of the most boring jobs I've ever done. You have to do it, though, or people can't find what they're looking for.
You've got that right! When I was an aide, we had to spend an hour a day shelf reading, and it was miserable. A Sisyphean task.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Maybe she was just having a dopey kind of day? How does she expect kids to learn the system? (Talk about dumbing it down - by height?... really, sometimes I hate the way people treat little kids) You will just have to bring your ruler to look up specific books.

Do you think she needs more volunteers?

eta: Sisyphean - this was the 2nd word I had to look up today, thanks! :cool:

·
Übernerd
502 Posts
You've got that right! When I was an aide, we had to spend an hour a day shelf reading, and it was miserable. A Sisyphean task.
Oooh, vocab word! Heh. And you're not kidding. My problem was that I'd get distracted. It's so boring, I'd be going along, counting my decimals, and then see a book and be all, "Oooh, that looks interesting!" Next thing I knew, I had been browsing through a Chinese cookbook or something for five minutes. Whoops.

I'm convinced that if they really wanted to force terrorists to spill the beans, they could just sentence them to eight or ten hours a day shelf reading in the Library of Congress or something. They'd be getting confessions in no time at all.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.