the price of Eden

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Sep 1, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Unlike the first sings of spring, robins, geese flying north, daffodills and tulips, the first sings of fall aren't so, well, inspiring. Geese are goin' south, and the leaves are just starting to gear up for their grand finale. What happened to summer this year? Did I miss it? I thought it was just a very long, dry spring. I just heard the almanac prediction for this winter, cold and dry for my region. Frozen septics and wells, oh joy!! Love goin' to the privy when its -30 :waa: Haulin' water's a fun thing too! Oh well, the price of Eden.

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I love fall, but maybe I wouldn't if I was in ontario? It beautiful and the weather is nicest in the fall here. Cool and crisp. Out with the humidity. Yea, we didn't have much of a summer either.

3. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

It's always something, isn't it? Cheer up...we're about to get hit with another hurricane and I am still cleaning up after the last one. Anywhere but Florida is sounding like prime real estate now!

Fall is one of my favorite times...bonfires, crisp mornings and evenings. Is your firepit ready with a pile of wood and long sticks for roasting marshmellows & bratworst? Have you gathered all the parts for that camp fire coffee pot? How about a Dutch oven for some scrumtious stews? Make the season something to look forward to (what are the alternatives anyway?). If our geese don't quit trying to nest in the firepit, we may even have roast goose!

All the magazines have lovely photos of "outdoor rooms" and everybody and his brother has one of those cute little fire pots. Ours is much more primitive: a square of cement blocks over gravel down by the pond, with 16" patio stones flanking it so the fire ants won't feast on our feet. Send me some of that fall weather, please!

4. jackie c

I've been watching this storm progress. It looks nasty!!! I hope you and all in the projected path fare well through this monster. Keep us posted if can please.
    I guess it does'nt really matter where you live, there is allways something to make you cringe, be it arctic cold, sweltering heat, or horrifiic storms. I'm not complaining, just getting physched up for the inevitable. It's not that I don't love the fall, or even winter (I love sledding!) I just love spring and summer more.

5. southerngurl

Don't forget humidity. :no:

6. jackie c

Sorry, that's what I meant by sweltering heat. Yeah it's gotten pretty awful here too! I know what its like to try and dry off after a shower in that kind of weather...impossible. We don't get it too often, for which i"m glad to be a northerner.

7. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

The last few mornings have been in the low 50's here and it's been wonderful. Yesterday was my kinda day - high of 70 and sunny. Fall is my favorite season here on the eastcoast and I even like winter - when we get snow that is. Last year was just bitterly cold and we got one storm that gave us 3 feet of snow and that was it the whole winter.

Fall and winter are my favorite seasons - i don't like heat and humidity.

brural

8. Cedar

Cedar Well-Known Member

I'm the same, Fall and Winter is where it is at...

9. southerngurl

Ah, fall.... cool and crisp air flows in, dad kills a couple deer, trees turn and make the mountains even more beautiful, you don't wake up sweating.....it's cool...not hot or humid, with coolness...

and then you have all winter to dream about next years garden... and get exercise busting ice all over the place... then some idiot throws a snowball and it goes down the back of your shirt which leaves you clawing at it like a flea ridden dog - but there's no humidity, yay!

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Autumn is my favorite time of year...October and November are my favorite months of the year...Spring is my second favorite, Winter my third and I HATE summer...the heat and humidity, the BUGS and SNAKES...you can have it, I don't want it! We were lucky to have the mild summer we had this year, but I still cheered when Sept. 1 arrived!

WOOHOO for AUTUMN!!! :)

11. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Greetings from Montana where it is 30 degrees this morning and giving us our first frost of the fall! Like you I must haul water even in the winter. We use snowmobiles and a sled to run the six mile water trek. The firewood is ready for the stove, so that is the good news. I believe we only had one week of real summer weather back the first week of August. The rest of the typical summer season was cold and wet. And now winter will be very very cold this year I am told, hopefully we will get a week of constant -40 below to kill the pine bark beetles that are wrecking havoc in our forests. I plan on staying inside most of the days when the temp drops below zero. Getting older has to have some benefits!

12. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

I wish every year was like this!!! :D No third degree burns from getting in your car and touching the wheel. No 500$ electric bills from the A/C being on 24 hours a day. No 95 degree midnight strolls. Anyone here know the record for how many days over 100 degrees in one year for texas? Wasn't it like 50 days?
    This kind of weather I could get used to! Now winter is different. I hate the cold with a burning passion! The only time I"m not cold is the middle of the summer! Maybe we will get a mild winter. :worship: Oh please!

13. southerngurl

Isn't that the only kind you get down there?