The Power of 1/2

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by YuccaFlatsRanch, Aug 11, 2004.

1. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Another way to be frugal and save on the usage of things is the power of 1/2.

An example - you are using shampoo. Try using only half as much. If this still cleans your hair, then try using half of half as much. keep doing this until you find out how much you really need to be using. It works and each time you half the amount used you double the length of time until you run out of the product.

2. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I do this with my dryer sheets! I tear them into small strips and a box will last me a year. I hang my blankets, sheets, towels, socks and undies on the line but I use the dryer for outer clothes and these little strips help with the 'cling' that happens in the winter..

3. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I already do that with shampoo - actually I use about 1/4 as much as I used to. And it really works!

Course, I only have 1/4 the amount of hair that I used to have.. :confused:

4. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Great idea. I saw this done as a way to loose weight---eat only half of your meal, take the rest home for a meal tomorrow. But the trick is to ask for the "to-go" box immediately and put half of it away before you eat.

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Heard about the farmer who tried this with his milk cow. Every day he cut her feed in half. When asked about how it went he said I got her down to one straw a day before she died.

6. While my 5 children were still living at home I used half whole milk and half powdered milk, then gradually cut back on the whole milk to all powdered milk. Powdered milk, if prepared a day in advance and served ice cold, is delicious!

7. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Then you just keep diluting the powdered milk down until you get to 100% cold well water and you save even more.

8. No, then you'd have 100% water, not milk!

9. By the way, Hermit John, sounds to me that your mama made you drink powdered milk?

10. deviator12000

deviator12000 Member

As a child my Mom tried the powdered milk thing. She quit it after none of us 5 kids would drink it. We didn't have any problem with buying and drinking milk from the Amish, tho. I liked putting the cream in an empty jar, and shaking it up until it was butter. Best butter I've ever had.

11. RAC

RAC Guest

You have to have decent-tasting water for anything else (tea, powdered milk, etc.) to taste good.