Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
23,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a really neat article in an older Western Horseman magazine that Cale was reading this evening. Talked about the history and myths of the Pony Express. It is amazing to think that it used to take months for any communication to come from the eastern states out to California. The Pony Express shortened this to days. The article referenced a website for the Pony Express Museum. There is some interesting information there:

http://www.ponyexpress.org/index.php

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
I just read a really neat article in an older Western Horseman magazine that Cale was reading this evening. Talked about the history and myths of the Pony Express. It is amazing to think that it used to take months for any communication to come from the eastern states out to California. The Pony Express shortened this to days. The article referenced a website for the Pony Express Museum. There is some interesting information there:

http://www.ponyexpress.org/index.php
I read a good book about the pony express a couple of years ago, I think it was called "Orphans Preferred".

·
Registered
261 Posts
My I don't know how many GREAT Grandfather was a Pony Express Rider. He fell off his horse, hit his head and died. He wasn't riding for the express at the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My I don't know how many GREAT Grandfather was a Pony Express Rider. He fell off his horse, hit his head and died. He wasn't riding for the express at the time.
I have a few great (don't know how many off the top of my head) uncle and grandfather in the Pony Express. Charles and Gus Cliff. The museum is pretty cool. They have pictures of all the riders plus the history of it.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
It's such a part of the history of the West....like the cattle drives, Wild West towns, gold strikes, etc....Feels like they all just HAD to be going on for years and year....yet all were in such a short span of time. Pony Express only 1 1/2 years. They fell about the time the bank robbers started having trouble for the same reason...the telegraph lines.

Must have been a terribly exciting time. Things changing so quickly. So many opportunities for those with a quick mind...both good and bad ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts