The Pigs Garden

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Oxankle, May 29, 2006.

1. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Well; the pigs went to hog heaven a couple months ago and I tilled their pen, planted the edges with pole beans, the center in cukes and canteloupe. Wouldn't you know it, the lazy snorkers left enough bermuda roots that the whole thing is beginning to look like lawn.

Sprayed it with roundup. I hope I stayed far enough from the beans and curcurbits to get a crop of some kind. Next rotation has to include chickens in the pen after the hogs THEN the veggies. We'll See.
    Ox

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Hey Ox I see you have solved the problem of how to shovel the poo discussed in earlier thread!!!! That Bermuda must be some tough stuff!!!!!!!!

3. smumitson

smumitson Well-Known Member

We had our 5 pigs in our garden for about a month then moved them for raised garlic beds so they only had half the garden space. The crabgrass in the first half came back very quick... I think if they aren't in there awhile you have to actually pick it out.

The second half however has REALLY been worked over. Butchered four pigs in April and just moved our gilt on saturday. That poo's gonna be "hot" for awhile! - Hoping it will be good enough for some late starts of something in end of july.

We'll see, if not I'll plant garlic in the fall.

kids

4. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

If you get Roundup on a plant, by mistake, rinse the plant with lots of water. This is what I did, whe the town workers sprayed Roundup all over the perimeters of my garden...including the sandbox and the kids' toys.

5. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

After you have the pigs till the garden, move them out and move chickens in for about three weeks to smooth the soil, kill the bugs and week the garden. This gives us virtually weed free gardens.

Eek!