The person who most inspired me

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by teresab, Nov 30, 2006.

1. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

This thread is started because I am so touched by what farmhome5 wrote of her Aunt Irene in one of my other threads. She was truely "touched by an angel". Many of us have had them...people who have truely made a difference in our lives and it would be a tribute to them in the Christmas season to tell us their story and touch all of us.

2. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

Surprisingly...I learned a lot from a boss I had while working at a convenience store while I was in college. He taught me to trust people when your first instincts tell you not to, to believe in people when you really think you shouldn't, and not to forget that we each have fallen into one of the two categories above at some point or another. :rolleyes: Thank you, Adam, you were truly a big part of the person I am today. :)

3. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have 2 people. First is my mother. She was caring, giving, loving and compassionate which has helped me to be a better person. 2nd is my Sunday School teacher from when I attended the church my dad pastored. Myrtle Beabout is one of the Godliest women I know. She has been a great inspiration to me and one of my favorite people.

4. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was a teen, I was "madly' in love w/ this young man. His parents were two of the people who changed my life! They were loving, generous, caring people.Their family was close, showed each other love, pampered and surprised each other... They made me feel good about myself, they treated me so like was their daughter. They moved away just after I married my husband (not their son) and until their deaths --I called them Mama and Papa! They showed me what a real family was and that I could be loved...Thank you mama and papa--where ever you are...Queen Bee

5. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I was most inspired by my grandmother who taught me that life is about working your butt off and never having anything to show for it except a slap in the face when you slack off. To this day I have an inner voice (which sounds like an old lady from eastern KY) telling me I'm lazy and good for nothing. Strange how the deep, male voice I hear every evening and weekend says similar things.

6. SFM in KY

SFM in KY Well-Known Member Supporter

My parents and grandparents, of course. Wonderful role models, wonderful examples to have, tremendously supportive all my life.

Otherwise, the person that probably made the most impact on my life, without ever being terribly close, was a second cousin. He was my mother's cousin, probably 12 years older than I was. He was in his mid-20s, one of three brothers that owned/worked the ranch adjoining ours, very outdoors and physical ... and he contracted polio.

He ended up paralyzed from the waist down, walking with crutches/ braces. Over the years he remodelled his vehicle so he could drive it with hand controls, tractors so he could drive them and do farm work, even took flying lessons and eventually owned an Aircoupe plane (which flies with hand controls) plus had a mule he drove to a cart and a saddle horse trained to lay down so he could step across and have the horse get up under him. The rest of his life, he did his share and helped run a working cattle ranch. I never heard him complain because there was something he couldn't do ... or complain because life was difficult.

But all my life, when things seemed difficult and I wasn't able to do all of the things I wanted to do or needed to do and started whining ... I would remember just how LaRue lived his life.

In a quiet way, I think he was one of the most courageous people I've ever known.

7. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

Well for me it would be my grandmother..my mother's mother. Our family was a mess for many years and when I was 16 things got real bad and a divorce started. I was sent to my grandmothers to live. I was swept away from everything I knew. I went from a straight A student to C's and D's. It was a very dark time in my life. God bless my grandma for taking me in...she was approching 60..my grandpa had died a few years before and left her with no life insurance and she was starting over...with a 16 yo with a broken heart. But she never gave up on me. She is a godly woman who lives what she believes. The two of us went through a lot together over the years but it is through her that I found my faith in Christ. She has dementia now and for some reason the one person she has forgotten is me. I never has anyone who ever stood up for me before and was always there for me. She is a great grandma and a testiment to her faith. Thank you grandma.

To all those grandma's and grandpa's out there...never underestimate the influence you can have on your grandchildrens lives.

8. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Probably my father. When he was growing up, it wasn't even thought of to travel overseas recreationally for "people like him" (whatever that means) and he never gave that norm a thought. He grew up thinking, "I want to go here, and here, and here..." and then when he grew up, he made it happen - everything he wanted. Taught me that there are no real external limitations on what you can do with your life, only internal ones. I still find it very sad when people say, "I could never do this, because I'm too (old, female, tired, poor, whatever)." If you can envision it and you really want it, chances are you can do it.