The Pallet crucifix, breaking pallets the easy way

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by comfortablynumb, Jul 28, 2006.

1. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

Ive been told my posts are overall negative, and nonconstructive. I will offer here a little constructiveness and positive energy.

I read in several places people wanting to know how to break pallets apart for firewood. I was going to use this tool I designed to make me rich, but I figured, if you have the brains to collect pallets and burn them for heat, and you haven't killed yourself or burned down the neighborhood, you are probably a smart enough buyer to say "that's so stupidly simple, I can make those myself!" and in the long run I wont get rich anyhow. Rich wouldn't do me any good, I would blow it all on Chinese food, hookers and big dangerous toys that would get me hurt or killed, so screw it... here use the design.

take a 2x3 for a handle, screw a piece of 2x4 on it to look like a cross. Yes, ironically enough, the best tool I have invented for the house so far looks like a cross. But I think busting pallets apart with it is a far better use than beating people over the head with it, or scaring the bejeebees out of small children.... and I might paint pictures of Jesus on mine. I can just see the look on the Jehovah's witnesses faces when they drive up uninvited, and see me prying apart pallets with a large crucifix.
    I know my catholic SIL will have a hairy cat fit.... she is a lot of fun to torment that way.

"Let Jesus help you with your pallet breaking chores! use the power of the pallet crucifix to convert those stubborn pallets into a pile of wholesome useful firewood!"

Who wouldn't buy that sales pitch?

So on to the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you will most likely need several of these with different length cross-bars on them, (the part Jesus hands would be nailed to) for wider or narrower pallets. The cross bar should always be resting on 2 of the pallets 2x4 stringers, that way when you push down to pop the slats off the handle wont twist sideways off the pallet.

This is such a mind numbingly simple tool, you will agree this is about the most constructive post you ll see here all year.

Even with the religious jokes tossed in.
    and they are jokes... smile and laugh. :p

2. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

Very cool! I may just have to make me one (or two or three) of those if I find enough pallets around!

Thanks, CN!

3. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Plus the added benefit that no vampires will sneak up on you while cleaning up those pallets!

Good post, my overwhelmingly negative friend! ;)

4. Arkie1

Arkie1 Well-Known Member

Everyone knows that in order to repel Vampires, you have to use garlic oil as the finishing touch plus it makes the wood shine real pretty. ;) :p

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Well, I thought everyone used a hint behind the ear like I do...

6. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

some people (not me) stick a clove of garlic up their rectum to rid themselves of parasites. Yucky poo poo!

7. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

awesome idea CN. Looks better than the crow bar I used in the past

8. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

oops I should have posted that on the natural cures forum

9. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting those pictures. We just picked up a load of pallets yesterday and were dreading trying to cut them apart. I can use a sawsall but this looks easier for me to do.

10. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

No credit to the Romans for the crucifix design?

11. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Where were you, when I needed you?!

12. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

comfortablynumb, You crack me up! Thanks for the laugh! :D

13. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

GREAT IDEA!! thanks, I was planning on picking up more pallets, but also dreaded the hammer and crow bar method, especially in this heat. !

14. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

giggling

15. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

thats so simple! Geesh I knew we were just thinking too hard!! Thanks!!

16. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Wouldn't something like oak or pine be a better wood to use than apparently spruce?

With the short crossbar how do you pry up in the center?

How do you get the last slat(s) off?

17. scaryguyoy

scaryguyoy Well-Known Member

Do you burn pallets inside the home?Should i assume pallets are not made out of pressure treated wood?
    Scary

18. treefrog

treefrog Well-Known Member

i don't think i've ever seen a pressure treated pallet. they're made as cheaply as possible because they're an unrecoverable expense to the producer of the goods shipped on them. from his point of view, it doesn't matter if they only last long enough to get unloaded at the customer's loading dock.

pax
    t.f.

19. comfortablynumb

see, my business would be ruined by a copyright infringment before i got one sold...

I told you I suck at business.

20. comfortablynumb

any pallet is good to burn, I haven't had any of the "problems" people attribute to pile or spruce wood in a fireplace. remember this wood is kiln dried and leaves little residue, it also burns so hot, it cleans the pipe out.
    you need to make several of these tools for different width pallets, or just use the one with a long cross for all of them but that gets clumsy with narrow pallets.

ok.. more pics.. first pry off point A
    [​IMG]

Then move it over and pry of point B
    [​IMG]

With A and B loose, you can USUALLY pop off point C the same way, it is easier if someone set their foot on point A, or you can put your own foot on point A.... its easier with 2 people, but I do it alone all the time and once you get into it, you can disassemble a pallet in about 90 seconds. it took me about 90 minutes to undo a whole toyota truck full the other day and i was taking breaks every so many pallets...

sometimes a stubborn pallet needs a 3# short sledgehammer to pop off a few stubborn slats but it beats whacking them all off with a hammer.

super hard oak and maple pallets, you might need to make the whole cross from 2x4s, but so far, the 2x3 handle has worked fine. if the pallets you pick up are OLD, and weathered a bit, it doesnt matter how hard the wood is, they come apart very easy... the nails have rusted a tiny bit, the wood has shrunk and cracked and the slats are already slightly loose, or the nails due to the rust have now lost alot of their grip. once you bust a new one, then an old one youll see what I mean.