Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the spirit of the "Surprising Things About You" thread, I thought up another one. If you're feeling open and generous, tell us about the ones that got away -- old flames, the one you almost married but didn't for whatever reason, old boyfriends/girlfriends that have gone on to do something interesting...etc.

Of course, I will go first.

There's Mr. W., the first real love of my life, who I met at age 15, moved in with at age 18, very nearly married, and finally stopped seeing at age 22.

Of course, even along that road, there were some detours.

Like the guitarist who claimed to be the BEST guitarist in town, yeah right. Gorgeous and charming, but possibly the most irresponsible man I've ever met. Last I heard he'd hooked up with some band and was doing their sound system on tour somewhere.

And the lead singer in a band, who claimed his female roommate and fellow band member was just a roommate, until she announced they were having a baby...tragically he died later that year in a car crash.

Or the fellow from England who proposed to me and begged me to come back home with him...yes, overseas...and I said no, because tempting though it was, I didn't love him.

There's also a fellow I liked very much and dated off and on for a couple of years, but lost track of him and could never find him because he's got the most common name in existence.

Of course, I'm very happy with the one I've got. When I met him, all the other nonsense ended, and as the Rascal Flatts song goes...

Every long lost dream lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
In the spirit of the "Surprising Things About You" thread, I thought up another one. If you're feeling open and generous, tell us about the ones that got away -- old flames, the one you almost married but didn't for whatever reason, old boyfriends/girlfriends that have gone on to do something interesting...etc.

Of course, I will go first.

There's Mr. W., the first real love of my life, who I met at age 15, moved in with at age 18, very nearly married, and finally stopped seeing at age 22.

Of course, even along that road, there were some detours.

Like the guitarist who claimed to be the BEST guitarist in town, yeah right. Gorgeous and charming, but possibly the most irresponsible man I've ever met. Last I heard he'd hooked up with some band and was doing their sound system on tour somewhere.

And the lead singer in a band, who claimed his female roommate and fellow band member was just a roommate, until she announced they were having a baby...tragically he died later that year in a car crash.

Or the fellow from England who proposed to me and begged me to come back home with him...yes, overseas...and I said no, because tempting though it was, I didn't love him.

There's also a fellow I liked very much and dated off and on for a couple of years, but lost track of him and could never find him because he's got the most common name in existence.

Of course, I'm very happy with the one I've got. When I met him, all the other nonsense ended, and as the Rascal Flatts song goes...

Every long lost dream lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you
There was only one for me. My true love you could say. We only knew each other for a short time, oh.... a couple of years. The last time I saw him was in 1984, and a day does not go by, even now, that I don't think about him - wonder how he is - where his life has taken him. In my mind's eye I see a 24 year old who, according to my calculations is 47 now.

Sometimes I have silly fantasies about buying a big straw hat, and wearing oversided sun glasses and parking outside his house - just to see what he looks like now.

donsgal

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Everyone once in awhile I wander down memory lane and wonder whatever became of a few of my old flames. The one that I would most like to know what happened to is C.W. - who was a very dear friend. I sure hope life has been good to him - he deserves nothing but happiness!

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was only one for me. My true love you could say. We only knew each other for a short time, oh.... a couple of years. The last time I saw him was in 1984, and a day does not go by, even now, that I don't think about him - wonder how he is - where his life has taken him. In my mind's eye I see a 24 year old who, according to my calculations is 47 now.

Sometimes I have silly fantasies about buying a big straw hat, and wearing oversided sun glasses and parking outside his house - just to see what he looks like now.

donsgal
LOL - I think the same thing about my Mr. W. -- he's 43 now and I honestly cannot help myself, I try to find out about him when I can. I know he is divorced and has two sons. I think I know where he lives, and as you say, I have fantasies about parking outside his house in disguise. But I am not good at being sneaky and with my luck he'd see me, and it would bring so much drama into my life! Not worth it! Anyway, I think romanticized memories are usually better than reality, aren't they?

G

·
My first love was Mark. He lived a few towns away and since we were in high school we'd see each other only on the weekends. We were both painfully shy and he sometimes had other girlsfriends, but I carried a huge torch for him.

He was in a bad car accident where two good friends of his were killed. Mark was driving and he went through a lot of mental torture with that, even though the accident was totally not his fault. I was one of the first folks who agreed to go driving around with him once he got over his fear of driving.

We ended up going to different colleges and drifted apart. One of the last times we were together we made love in a field for the first time. The next day his folks wanted to go out and have a celebratory dinner. :cowboy::help: It kinda freaked me out and I ran from him (and his family!) What's funny is that he was the oldest of 7 kids and his fertility scared me. Now here I am trying to adopt kids #5 and 6!

Unfortunately he has a name that is VERY common and it's hard to look him up. I don't think he stayed in his hometown as he wanted to be a pharmacist and in a town of 400 folks there just isn't that big of a need for one. He was also in the National Guard and thinking of going full time Army, so who knows where he is. I'll admit that I ALMOST called him up the week before my wedding to see if there was any chance for us. I must have looked at that phone for hours wanting to make that call. In the end I'm so glad I didn't because I love my life now and I can't imagine being married to a man as wonderful as my DH. I'll always feel special because I've had two great men love me, Mark and my DH. A girl can't ask for more than that out of life.

I'd love to see a picture of him and to know he's OK and happy now. I think of him often and pray that he got over his troubles and found a fantastic wife who loves him for who he is and who gave him lots of beautiful babies.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Boy is this hard. At 18 I was madly in love with the sweetest lady I have ever known and I am 63 now. We were going to be married and spend the rest of our life together. This is the first time I have ever put this in writing and it will most likely be the last. On Saturday we went to her families reunion and had the time of our lives and the fact known that we were to be wed. Oh my! It is 3:25 in the morning and it has taken me over 30 minutes to write this as tears seep out and keep me wiping my eyes. I hope none of my family ever read this. Sunday we went to church and everyone in church knew of our plans. We both sang in the church choir and will say we were good and we sang a song together that day for the whole world to hear of our love for each other. Well that was a wonderful day and one that does surface many more times than I care to count as I can't count that far. Monday I tried to call my love on the phone and got no answer. I thought nothing about it and left going to work. I had to go past her home and I will never forget seeing fire trucks in the yard of their beautiful home. Well my love went to heaven that bright sunny morning and left a big void in my heart and a black cloud over my head. I often wonder what we did wrong for this to have happened and will never know. Now don't get me wrong as I do believe in God and know that every thing happens for a reason and if it is your time to go it makes no difference what you are doing or where you are. Man what I have done to forget that day. My life took a big turn that fateful day. Church could not be tolerated my my broken heart so I would have church where ever I may be on Sunday morning or when ever I felt the need to pray which was often. Long story cut short I am now married to my third wife whom I love dearly and she has finally filled the void that I have carried all these years. I will not go into the reasons why my first 2 marriages failed and do not regret them as I have 4 wonderful children and 1 very wonderful step daughter that is closer to me than my own daughter. You all can never know how hard this has been to write and I most likely will never do again. My kids nor my wifes know not of this. I will not go into where my life led me except to say it was very interesting and I must stop this now as It is herd to type and wipe eyes at the same time. Please do not respond to this with pity as that is not needed. Thank you for listening as this is the one and only time I will ever write this story. Sam

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
No pity here Sam. Just want to say that we are blessed with our relationships. Some unfortunately are shorter than others. Yor 1st love sounds like a wonderful woman that taught you how to love with all your heart.

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
Oh my, it's been 30 years since I've seen B! When he rode off on his Harley that day I knew I'd never see him again. He knew I was going to be all right and that Roger would be good to me.

Our love was too fierce, too emotional, just too much of everything! We were young and too immature to deal with it, but we stayed in touch through his two marriages and my three. In fact, once he told me that if he could catch me between husbands, he'd ask me to get married himself:D!

I know where he lives. I'd phone him but his wife didn't like me (For some resaon:rolleyes:). I wonder how many grandchildren he has now. My hope for him is that he has had a happy life.

There isn't a week that goes by that I don't think of him and I still can hear the echo of his laughter in my heart.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
When I was 14 I fell madly in love with "J"the guy down the street, he was 17, almost 18 and my parents (wisely) said no way... he was wild, drank and smoked pot, had quit school and was to be 18 soon. Still we sneaked away whenever possible and he was my "first".

A year later my world fell apart when we moved to Pennsylvania and I had to leave him, it crushed me, but we made plans for me to run away that summer to be with him, at this point he was almost 19. The months dragged on for me, I wrote him every day and called him whenever I could sneak some allowance money and get to a phone booth and he wrote me too for awhile then the letters became infrequent and stopped altogether and his number had been disconnected. Finally my best friend called to tell me she had seen him with another girl more than once and another friend called a few days later to tell me he married a stripper. I was devastated, and on top of that, we moved back to Florida a few months later and I had to constantly see him with her.

He moved away to another state and two years later came back divorced, I foolishly started dating him again and it lasted for about 6 months because I had grown up, was going to college and working hard, had a car and a decent job and he was still partying, drinking, smoking, carless and jobless most of the time. He moved again and a couple of years later I met my late husband and had 16 1/2 years of bliss until his death in 2004.

Off and on over the years I wondered about "J" and even saw a couple of his relatives a few times who always said he was the same old "J". He lives here again on the other side of town and I am told he has been married 4 times and is STILL the same old "J".

As crazy as it is, I still think about the good times and have forgiven him for breaking my heart, I guess because he was my first love but not the one truly meant for me and I realized that long ago when I walked away.

·
Happiness is Homemade
3,512 Posts
David.

Altho I wouldn't call him the one that got away, because I guess that sounds like I'm still longing for him. And My heart is so full of love for my hubby, that is just not possible.

David was the best friend of my brother Dan. They were both 3 years older than me when Dan was hit by a car killed while we were out walking one night at 18 years old.

I had always had a crush on him, but he was my brothers best friend, and he never saw anything other than that. Until Dan was gone. we became inseparable. In the beginning I think it was more of a comfort to help ease the pain we both felt from losing Dan. But quickly it became my first love.

He graduated high school, was working and we were even talked marriage.
Then my mother could no longer live in NC, too many memories of Dan etc.. and wanted to move to Texas. (she even offered to let David move with us! (separate rooms of course!) but he had obligations to his family/job/church.

I was crushed, David and I drifted apart.
he is now married to the preachers daughter and they just had their 6th child.
He is a good man.
He is a great father.
And even though we dont talk. He is still a great friend.

every year he goes to put flowers on Dans headstone. He writes and sends pictures of his kids.

I am happy for him...
He is happy for me.
But every now and then I'm sure we both wonder... What If...

6,637 Posts
I met a woman in CA when I was in the marine corps. we were 21, or 22. She was from woodland hills. SHe was going to college to be a juvinal criminal scociologyst. Probably way to liberal for me today, but....there was something there.

Im sure we were in love, but neither one of us would say it. She came to Michigan twice to see me. We talked about her finding work in her field in Michigan in case we got married. We were...I dunno...almost very close.

Im sure everyone here who knows me, or has seen my writings here, knows I am very backwards, very country, very unsophisticated, almost barbaric. IM not the brightest bulb in the pack, but I almost married a strong intelligent, indipendant classy woman. Trixywick, and a couple other women around here remind me of her a lot. Althought not liberal, they are strong no nonsence indipendant women.

I used to talk passionately about farming when we were together. I think my passion is what attracted her. Her inteligents, understanding, and thoughtfullness is what I loved about her. I would talk about a favorite motorcycle, and a week later she would slip a keychain with that specific bike in my pocket. I was floored! No one had ever shown interest in my thoughts before. I loved astronomy. She called me one time to ask about black holes because she was learning about them in school. The last time I saw her, she bought me a black and white cow bell keychain. She was amazing. SHe was always doing little things like that to tell me that my dreams were important.

...but I managed to run her off.

I was pretty imature. I didnt have that consciousness of other people's feelings. I wasnt selfish exactly, I just didnt know how to pay attention to what people were saying, and do thoughtfull things for them. I was also terribly, terribly terribly jelouse. I did a couple very inconsiderate things to her unintentionally, but I was just to stupid to know any better.

I hope she has found happiness. She was a spectacular woman.

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please do not respond to this with pity as that is not needed. Thank you for listening as this is the one and only time I will ever write this story. Sam
No pity -- just thank you, very much for sharing. I am deeply touched. It is a reminder for all of us to love one another with all our heart and never miss a chance to say "I love you."

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Max, you're killing me!

A few guys in my past I think of fondly, but there isn't a doubt in my mind that DH is It. I would never have married him if I wasn't sure. Still, I have been known to Google the exes from time to time - an old (male) friend sends me an e-mail every so often to remind me, "It's Google-Your-Ex Day!," so I do. They've done pretty well for themselves - one is a vet, one owns a civil engineering firm, one is a big corporate muckety-muck in DC. Wish 'em all well, but no regrets whatsoever here. I got awfully lucky with my DH, and I know it. :goodjob:

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still, I have been known to Google the exes from time to time - an old (male) friend sends me an e-mail every so often to remind me, "It's Google-Your-Ex Day!," so I do.
It never fails to amaze me how many people are completely "off the grid" in terms of Internet references. My ex is one of them. I did find him under the city court records though, before they made it private-access. ;)

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Funny how seldom those "I wonder what so-in-so is doing" days ever take place since meeting, then marrying my husband 11 years ago...I swear next time he needs straigthening out I'm going to blame him for messing all that up! -- ah, maybe not -- maybe I'll just thank him for making my today and tomorrow lots more important then my yesterdays :)

Marlene

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Too many to remember..LOL I just dated alot (after a couple of dates they would get on my nerves)and never got close to anyone.Married at 19 and I know where he is. Married again at 32 and hes still here.(although he does get on my nerves every now and then).The only one I ever wondered about I found before our 25th reunion and he died of liver cancer.

·
Banned
3,368 Posts
A few guys in my past I think of fondly, but there isn't a doubt in my mind that DH is It. Still, I have been known to Google the exes from time to time - Wish 'em all well, but no regrets whatsoever here. I got awfully lucky with my DH, and I know it. :goodjob:
That's how I feel too. The one I think about most often lives in Georgia and I haven't seen or heard from him in years... last week his grandfather died and I kept expecting to see a car with Georgia plates on it, but I didn't. He probably flew in and rented a car. I would like to know how he is-- last I heard he got thrown during a rodeo and he was stomped/gored pretty badly. He rode on a pro circuit or something... He was in the hospital for a few months. That was 15 years ago. I've googled him, but there are a lot of people with his name in GA.

Michelle

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
It's fun to get nostalgic once in a while, but the reason I'm married to dh is that no one else was husband/father-of-my-children material ;)
I have loved other men (and I use that term loosely - lol) but they just weren't the right one........I made "plans" for a future with 2 others, but I think I always knew in the back of my head that they were not "it"
I know where each of them are, how their marriage is & children, etc....I'm not in touch with either, but just hear through friends.
As someone said above, I am also thankful for "Unanswered Prayers" :)
I also can relate to the song "the Broken Road"....."God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you"

1 - 20 of 38 Posts