The ONE thing I always wanted for Christmas but never got...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by teresab, Nov 30, 2006.

1. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

For me it was an Easy Bake Oven...I asked EVERY year for one. My mother says she never knows why they never got me one but they didn't. I LOVE to bake now and enjoy it immensely. I always get a smile when I am in the store and see an Easy Bake oven.

2. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

A pony, I got goats instead.
    (I loved my goats but you just can't ride a pygmy goat Ha Ha!)

3. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

I always wanted a baby sister. I'd ask for one every year. Never got one :Bawling:

4. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

For me it was Legos. I loved playing with those things but never got them :Bawling:

5. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

A pony.
    My husband bought me my first horse when we got engaged. It was waay better than the diamond (though that was nice too). I still have the horse. He's 28 now. I have 3 horses now and both of my daughters have/had ponies. The youngest has two. Yes, I am living out my childhood fantasies thru her. It's okay. She says she doesn't mind and we've put money in a trust for therapy later on should she need it. :angel:

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

A horse. We had a mule, but I wanted a horse and never got one. Now I have five!

7. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

thats pretty cool. My daughter wants a horse too. I want a draft horse but they are sooooooo expensive.

8. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

For me it was the complete hardbound set of Little House Books. I did get a hard copy of Little House on the Praire and later a softcover Long Winter, but none of the other books, I still have those two books and when I want to read something comforting I still reach for them. I did read them all by taking them out of the library but would have loved to have access to them all the time.

9. CountryBeth

CountryBeth Well-Known Member

Oh, honey, you never missed ANYTHING, I promise! I had one and it never really cooked anything. We got my daughter one a few years back when she wanted one and the same problem - it took like 20 minutes to halfway cook two cookies! My daughter had a great time making a bunch of stuff out of their mixes and using their pans putting it in the real oven and getting it out in about 10 minutes. Easy bake oven has been at the local thrift store ages ago.

I always wanted a horse. How I ever thought my parents could afford it or where we'd even put it, I don't know. But they did give me a dog one year. It really was registered in my name with AKC. THAT was cool. Still miss that old dog. She used to sleep in my room and listen to all my teenage angst.

10. farmhome5

farmhome5 Well-Known Member

Well, I got the Easy Bake Oven, Little House books, dog, Legos.... But all I ever wanted was parents. Cried every year on Christmas for 20 years. Realized when I was 27 that I had the best parent all along, I just happened to call her Aunt Irene. Have had the best Christmas' ever since.
    Sorry, just read the thread on parents this morning and it got me thinking of her. She has been gone for 7 years now but still the best gift I've ever gotten!

11. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

I never really asked for anything big, but got the easy bake and the barbie stuff. One year I did ask for a huge (think kid life sized) raggedy ann and andy that I saw in a catalog. I got a regular stuffed andy. I got over it OK.

12. CountryBeth

CountryBeth Well-Known Member

Puts it all into perspective, doesn't it? Gotta love Aunt Irene.

13. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

What a great post.

14. JBourne76

JBourne76 Bathtub Ninja

A go cart. Never did get one. Still a tiny bit sad about that.

15. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Black patent leather Mary Janes, a horse with all accessories, and an older brother.

I still love the black patent shoes. Sort of got the horse eventually because we moved next door to a horse farm and I was allowed to ride their horses. The older brother thing never did work out, though!! LOL

MaryNY

16. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

A Lite Brite. I think after suffering through legos and tinker toys my Mom just couldn't stomach the idea of something else with lots of little pieces.

We had an easy bake oven and it worked great! We made all kinds of little cakes and cookies and stuff in it.

17. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Yes, the Easy Bake Oven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never did get one of those, and hubby has heard all about the wondrous things I had planned to bake in one. Countless hours of my youth were spent dreaming of the elegant baked creations I'd make in one of those - if only I had one!

I still get that "I want" feeling when I see them in the ad flyers. Even though I have a full fledged grown up kitchen and I can easy bake whatever I please whenever I want.

I also wanted (and didn't get) that Lite Brite.

However, as an adult I still have the copy of "All Creatures Great and Small" that I got in my Christmas stocking when I was a kid. And I still have the fancy deck of plastic Kem playing cards that I got with a book of 150 types of Solitaire for a birthday present. In hindsight I think they were smart not going for those big, fancy plastic got-to-haves from the commercials.

Still, whenever the Easy Bake Oven ads show up my hubby does have to double check to make sure that I'm doing OK with not having one.

I never did get a pony either. But I've got my very own riding cow now. :)

Lynda

18. gottahaveagoat

gottahaveagoat Well-Known Member

I just wanted some presents. If we got lucky some years we would get a winter coat. I hated going back to school after Christmas break and everyone talking about their stuff, I sometimes would make up what I got. Now I go overboard with my kids. I know I shouldn't but it's hard not to. We do buy for kids who might have nothing. (Reindeer tree at church)

19. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I wanted the big chemistry set they had in the Sear's Wish Book. I never did get that thing. My mom thought I'd et chemicals in my eye and lose my eyesight. Or at least that's the line she fed me. LOL

20. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

"You'll put your eye out, Kid!"
    [​IMG]
    Yup, the old Mom-chemistry set bias...

Oh, wait.

Wrong present. ;)

I wanted a dress from the Sears catalog. Drop waist; red sash; black velvet top; white pleated skirt. That dress is probably where my anti-Santa thinking started. If you tell a kid that if she's as absolutely as good as good can be (and I was an awfully good kid) and she STILL doesn't even get a dress, well...

Yeah, I know. I have issues. :rolleyes:

Pony!