The Nutcracker Ballet

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by AngieM2, Dec 14, 2006.

1. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

[​IMG]

I don't know how many of you enjoy ballet, but I grew up doing ballet for six years and danced in Nutcracker two seasons in local ballet company when I was 15 and 16... So, I associate Nutcracker with Christmas.

I just came across these webshot photos of the Russian ballet doing Nutcracker, and the photography has caught some mid-jumps, etc. REally nice.

I thought I'd share with those of you who appreciate ballet.

Angie

(seamstress ladies, there is a ribboned tutu that is amazing, and I was wondering about the making of that thing.)

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow...wonderful pictures! That ribbon tutu is awesome!

3. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Although I don't enjoy ballet for the sake of ballet, I have enjoyed watching The Nutcracker serveral times.

One thing that people don't know about our largest, closest city (Cleveland, O.) is that it's theatre district is second only to broadway. We've been bless with a lot of good theatre/ballet in NE Ohio.

4. jd4020

jd4020 Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you for sharing Angie.
    My girls have studied ballet for 16 years now and are currently in senior company at a local ballet school. If you would like to see some of their performance photos, you can go to tcbdance.com The gilrs are the first two listed in the company ballet photos and the photos of the actual performance is last years. Last year my older daughter was in the snow number and was also the Rat Queen. They haven't posted this years pics as of yet. This year both girls were in snow and they were the two arabian doll dancers. They had I.S.U.s' Braden Auditoriums' stage all to themselves. The teachers are from Russia and have done an excellant job with all the kids. This years performance was just wonderful.
    Again, we do enjoy the ballet and thanks for the photos.

5. AngieM2

How wonderful for your girls.... I like the "white" ballet more than the modern ballet. I only made it to "Flower Fairy" status in this. but remember learning 4 parts of Les Sylphids one summer, and having to buy 1/2 size smaller shoes for school due to the amount of pointe work were were doing.

I'll go look at your daughter's photos.

Angie

6. jd4020

Also wanted to add, that ribbon tutu is awesome. Having helped sew the costumes here I can appreciate the work involved in it. My younger daughter was allowed to design her sisters rat queen costume last year and their arabian costumes for this year. Do you know what role she wore the ribboned costume for? Seems roles are called different things in each ballet, it looks like ribbon candy and one director for one ballet, included what she called the marzipan dolls. Their tutus' were designed with lots of different candies on them.

7. AngieM2

I couldn't tell what the ribbon tutu was for...

do you sew the short tutu's with the upside down lots and lots of layers of tulle and netting to make them stand out, or do you help with the corps' longer skirted tutus?

Angie

8. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

I lived in Topeka KS until I was 12 and our grade school went to see the Nutcracker during my 4th and 5th grade year. One of my very best friends was a dancer and so I learned to appreceate ballet from her. Like you Angie, Christmas and Nutcracker go togeather. Alas, my kids have never see the Nutcracker, so this year I bought a DVD of it and plan to show it to them during our "Watch Christmas movies and eat popcorn until you are silly" day. They know a lot of the music allready but don't realize it. I can't wait to see their faces when they realize just how much they know! Thanks for the pix! Beautiful!
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

9. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Cleveland symphony; it's excellent.

10. jd4020

I've sewn both. I had to learn how to quilt the tutu so it would stand out stiff. I also learned that one builds the costume onto the tutu. The dancer never pulls on the costume but on the strings built into the tutu when putting it on. My daughter designed a tinkerbell costume for her solo recital one year and I sewed the thing together. We dyed heavy lace, put sparkle on it and she even fashioned wings out of coat hangers, sheer fabirc and lots of soft glitter. It's really fun, we had a great time. So now when we watch a ballet, not only do we know what moves they are doing but we like to see and figure out how the costumes are designed and put together.
    In the one picture of the group and the two doing the split jumps, what really makes it nice is the ballerina has her back foot pointed ever so nicely up, just giving it that beautiful line extension and finish.

11. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    That ribbon tutu is a masterpiece and must have driven the seamstress absolutely stark staring mad. Just making the fabric of all those ribbons would be bad enough but all that goffering in tulle would drive a saint to drink. Ive made ruff collars for 17th c and Elizabethan costumes and that was bad enough. doing it in a skirt sized garment is an absolute wonder. My hats off to the designer.

12. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Whoa, that's just breathtaking. :)

Like Mark, I have some experience with Elizabethan ruffs (though I gave up in frustration and irritation!), so that ribbon dress is beyond impressive to me!

I remember when I saved and scrimped to take the kids to see the Nutcracker at the Arie Crown when they were 8 and 11. I was so excited, because DD was finally old enough to sit through the performance. (Sadly, there were very many children and their parents who were not quite so disciplined... but that's another story.)

ANYway, it was just wonderful to watch, and although the kids are not and probably never will be fans of ballet, they did like the pageantry and the orchestra and all the specialness of the matinee. And they still like Tschaikovsky. :D

Pony!

13. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

I love Nutcracker.

Our small town once had a very active Arts Council - even though we were a town of only 4,000, we were able to get some really good thing to come and perform. One year a small group from the Houston Ballet did Nutcracker and my daughter got to dance with them - just a small part, but it was a really big thing for her.

We took our granddaughter to see it one year when she was about 4, and her mother had let her stay up too late and she was exhausted. She thoroughly enjoyed the play, but got a little cranky during intermission. My husband was talking to her and telling her what was comming up and he mentioned the rats. She jumped out of her seat and stood up and screamed, "I don't want to see any rats." She brought the house down.

It is a wonderful Christmasy thing, though. Thanks for bringing it up.