The new place

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by vegascowgirl, Nov 24, 2004.

1. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

:yeeha: .Howdy all, Well, I've been in MO for a few weeks now, and am lovin' it. The neighbors (who live about a quarter mile down) have been real nice and are a major contrast to the stand offish folks in Vegas. Our land is beautiful! a tad overgrown in some places, and a few things dumped on it, but that is nothing that some good hard work won't fix. Lots of Maple, Cedar, some Oak, sumac, etc, etc, etc. Already have some cardinals, nut hatches, Pine Siskin, woodpeckers, and chickadee's coming to our bird feeder. Amazingly enough too, we have a squirrel who makes it's home in one of our trees...and comes down and sits on our deck each moring (or crosses it while hunting acorns). The amazing part is that it is completely leaving the bird feeder alone, as well as the squirrel feeder that we put up for it. It has found both, checked them both out, smelled the seed and nuts, but doesnt even attempt to raid either of them. The little thing must be content with the abundance of acorns it finds each day (especially now that we've started raking leaves)
    We've also found an abundance of wild onion just in our emediate yard area....haven't had the chance to really thoroughly explore our woodland yet. Possibly have some wild strawberry plants as well, but am leaving them alone until spring and a better i.d. can be made. Up until the past few days, it has been like spring here...even fooled some of the Lilac bushes into budding. Now however, it's turning a tad cooler and a slight chance for snow is being reported...N.W. MO was supposed to get snow last night...we got quite a bit of rain....I think either tonight or tomorrow night it is supposed to get down into the twenties for a low...but then temps are supposed to go back up after that.

I only have two complaints right now. First our Electric is still not on. We are having to stay in my folks home for the time being. The co-op really dragged their feet on this one (I think all their people were out deer hunting)...and each time that they get enough work done for the electrician to come out and do his part...IT RAINS...so of course he doesn't come out. Yesterday it didn't rain, but he didn't want to come out because it was turning colder, and it had rained the night befor and he didn't want to dig the trench while the ground was damp. :eek: :mad: :( :mad: I 've been doing a little digging myself, and have found it easier after a rain, so I don't see his reasoning. Heck I'll dig the stupid trench for him, if it will get his backside out here to do the work....I just want to be in MY house. It would be different if I had a fire place or wood burning stove where I could heat the place and cook, but I don't have either, so I'm left to wait for the professionals to get off their tukis and get the job done.
    My other complaint...is already taken care of really, but the lady who owned and lived here befor us, was nice enough to leave all her trash for us to take care of. OH sure most of it she put on her burn pile, but she didn't burn it, and obviously nobody ever told her that you can't burn glass, metal, alluminum foil, etc. And there must have been more than a years worth of newspapers. All this in a mound almost five and a half feet tall. That doesn't count all the tires,metal sheeting, pipes, stone gargoyles, Bucket seats out of cars, etc that she left behind each of the sheds. We've taken care of it all now, but boy oh boy what a mess. Around here there are folks that haul that junk away for free, don't know why she left it for our responsability.
    All in All however, we are enjoying the new place very much. It is beautifull, and the people are nice. we are really looking forward to getting the homestead going.

If I don't hop on here tomorrow...let me say....HAPPY THANKSGIVING

2. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Looks like you have a lot to be happy about this Thanksgiving. By this time next year, you'll be all settled and practically a native of your new state. You need to get some kind of non-electric heat (kerosene space heater, ventless gas fireplace and a way to cook (barbeque grill, outdoor pit) because it doesn't look like your local electric company will be real quick about repairs if there is a storm and power outage! Will you raise a turkey for next year? Keep us posted.

3. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Missouri. I lived in 29 Palms for 10 years. Not to far from Vegas at the Marine Corp Base. We moved here in 93 when my husband retired from the military. What part of the state did you move to? We picked the south central part and just love the Ozarks

4. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

We live in Taney County. S.W. MO.....Address wise , we live in Forsythe, but actually live on 160 just outside Kissey Mills.

5. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

You are probably right about the deer hunting. Unless you are a farmer who desperately needs to get crops out (and those guys take a rifle along in the combine) very little gets done during deer hunting season.

Next year being a resident landowner you should be able to get free deer tags and turkey tags. Nothing like Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner with an animal you have taken from your own land, food that you have grown with your own hands on your own land and enjoyed with family and friends.

Enjoy your new homestead.

6. Ariel

Ariel Active Member

Congratulations on your new land. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.

7. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Ozarks...All the work will make the place truely yours..Biggest problem you will have is taking the time to watch all the goings on ..like the deer with her fawns & the flock of turkeys hiking in the meadow...Everything will get done..Enjoy ! GrannieD

8. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

vegascowgirl Welcome,far as I'm concerned Missouri Ozarks are like no other place on earth,and I sure do love them.

I'm about 2 hours North of you if you need anything just holler.

big rockpile

9. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Everyone that lives in MO loves it, yet if you talk to someone about moving there, they say "NO WAY!!"
    :confused:
    Aren't there a lot of creepy spiders and snakes there? :haha: And humidity and heat and tornados?

Seriously, Missouri is on one of my "I wanna live there" states.

10. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Shygal yelp we got all those things plus much more

[​IMG]

You got me :haha: :haha: :haha:

big rockpile

11. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

you know what they say about the grass always being greener :) LOL

MO is a beatiful state (as long as you don't go near the city).

Speaking of which... Oh I'll pm you don't want to steal the thread. ;)