The neighbors children arrived again a feeding time tonight

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by moopups, Jan 18, 2007.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The usual four, two younger girls and two older boys, the aged range from 6 up to 12, the girls younger, the boys older (10 to 12). The youngest girl (mouth red because of kool aid or similar) stated she had never had an omelet, upon questing her we discovered that she had no concept of what an omelet was.

Girl older found a catch of about 24 eggs that our chickens layed where they were not within sight, these eggs were awarded to the children to take home for their consumption. Why our hens chose to make such a removed from vision thing was not evident to me.

They left as feeding time was necessary, they had to be shooed away so we could accomplish such. Words of such will be issued in the future, the message will be carried home for them. They can come over when they first see the chicken out and about but they must leave before the chickens are due their chow. It is disruptive for them to be here when such is going on. The night before the chickens were not closed in, they were in the yard this morning, early. The turkeys were on a stroll. Not a desirable thing to accomplish at early hours.

The two girls are huggers, yes I return their contact but only palm only on their backs, not going to take chances these days. The boys do not seek such, thank goodness for such. These children are appearing well adjusted, mellow, and secure; I can only hope such continues through their lives.

2. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

Bless you for being kind to these children.

3. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Maybe they could help to feed the chickens?

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

How much 'hands on' does it take to present a 1.75 vodka bottle, cut at the diminishing upper area, full of chicken feed to issue? Not a lot in my opinion. The bottle is plastic, the children are not, they are real people. I choose to protect and educate such, their parents trust us completely, as is an adequately appropriately thing. Not to be found elsewhere in this day and age. I feel privileged at this time, trusted, and all that. Life as it was much earlier for me.

The mother chooses to trust us, her young ones are to be protected as much as she would if she were here under this households area, they come with out their adult supervision. I enjoy the parallelness of the trust.

5. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

Moopups, this is your chance to teach younger ones to be self sufficent and about homesteading. Wish my grandkids were interested in stuff like that. The best memories I have of childhood is when we would visit my uncle and his family in west Texas. They lived on a farm, raised hogs, had a milk cow, chikens, grew a huge garden and put up their food for winter. They also grew cotton. I loved going to the cotton patch with the family and (Help :rolleyes:) pick cotton. Sounds like these kids are hungry for learning.

6. suzfromWi

suzfromWi Well-Known Member Supporter

Well as Ive said before, when you interact with kids in a warm way, you get it back 10 fold. You will reap benefits from these encounters even if your not looking for it. Its a good thing.... :)

7. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

I would talk to the children about selecting a day/s when they can help with the feeding. Yes, it takes a bit longer when you are training however it not only increases their knowledge, it also will eventually provide you with trained caretakers should you wish to have a weekend away.

Our son did this for friends when he was growing up. It was a real blessing for him and our friends who went to visit grandchildren for 2 weeks!
    BW

8. a1cowmilker

a1cowmilker Well-Known Member

Please take a chance on the kids. It sounds really clear to me that they are starved for attention. I remember a kind neighbor that let me hang out at her house and it was a pleasent excape from my not so great home. I was not abused or anything, I just was made to not feel welcome. I helped this lady cook and clean and would have done anything for her. So please, give these kids a chance, find something for them to do and let them feel helpful. You will not regret it I am sure.

9. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Aww, moopups is a softie... heehee, it had to be said.
    Bless you for welcoming these kids... they'll benefit alot from it (and I bet you will too!)

10. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Ayep, I'm a softie, about like a cornered pit viper if the situtation warrants such action. The 'go with the flow' thing works here also.

11. DonnaKay

DonnaKay Well-Known Member

I know I would be thrilled if my children had such an oppurtunity. You are helping them understand their world a little better. The real world where you can touch and feel things.

Donna

12. knight88

knight88 Well-Known Member

Moo, one question to ask; are the kids possibly hungry? My daughter had a friend that always appeared just before dinner, she WAS hungry. Some people just have no business having kids. Guiess its up to us "old mean ones" to try and look after them. May God bless you. Andy

13. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Aw Moopups....you sound like an ole softy to me too! You can growl all you want to....but we see right through you!!! Pit viper... :angel: LOL! It is good for children to learn how to take care of animals...and to be around people that treat them well!....sounds like you can show them both of those things!

14. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Hmmmm...do you suppose that they really might be hungry? That is awful! My older boys have a friend that comes by here every time his mom is gone..which is quite often...and he always stays to dinner!

15. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

Bless your heart. It reminds me of of words. "As ye have done it unto the least of these, ye have done it unto me".They are all our children.

16. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

I don't believe the children are hungry, but I do believe they are attention starved. I have seen shielded cigarettes, lots of coughing, ect. in the early morning as their father prepares to go to work, sitting outside, waiting for his ride. I will protect the children at whatever cost it takes, feel comfortable in that; though I have none of my own. I still have the protection gene.

17. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Probably wanting to hatch them out. If you only have 2 hens, that means some of those eggs have been there out in the heat for...a while.

18. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

knight88, the children are well fed by a loving stay at home mom. You may or may not have seen the post Mitch made shortly after we moved here. It was about a nine year old girl that came up missing.

We all rallied 'round and the parents of the children from across the street believed us to be caring people. Over the days that followed I learned the children knew they were "not" to go in the road. I'd hear them tell on each other.

The first time the children came over, the Mom came with them and we all had a nice visit. After that, she gives them permission and they come over when they see the chickens are loose. Those children love the animals.

When the children are here Mitch sits in his chair under the carport while I feed the animals and keep an eye on the kids. This last time, the Mom walked over and was chatting with us. She makes sure the children thank me for letting them see and pet the animals.

It's so obvious the children are well taken care of and loved so much. They have a lot of hugs to share and are so full of questions. I do my best to answer their questions and let them interact with and pet the animals. They especially love petting the turkeys.

Edited to add: The girl that came up missing was not part of the family across the street. She was found by the police. She had gone to town with another neighbor and her children.

She was reported missing by the Mom across the street because the last time she saw her was 5:30pm and neighborhood searches came up with nothing. The sheriff's department was here by 7:30 and didn't stop until they found her.

19. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

There are seven hens. Mitch has been the egg gatherer and didn't realize the gals were ducking behind a nest box to lay eggs. None of them are broody and the eggs weren't in the elements too long.

20. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

Man I wish we had kids come by. I would have them go find some eggs and have an omlet with them. Sucks no likes a good omlet more than I do and I look for reasons to make them. We grew up and all our kids left home so now it is just wife and I and our 4 legged kids. We go off and then hurry home to take care of them. Enjoy the kids and you will get back more than you give. Sam