Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Video doesn't come up. Did they sing both verses or just the first?

·
Registered
214 Posts
For those that couldn't view it on the first site....It was a grand and basically traditional rendition....very well, done. I hate it when some star tries to sign the NA and changes the tune all over the place. While I love America the Beautiful, I still think the SSB is much more stirring. Besides, there would probably be a cease and desist order, or it would go to the Supreme Court if we ever changed to America the Beautiful. You know, it has that line..."God shed His grace on thee". Nowadays, you can't mention God for the 10% who deny His existence. Which often makes me think...when is the silent majority going to tell the vocal minority to shut the hell up! OK...enough preaching. Enjoy the video.

Jim

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkw3NS5LykU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Lovely. Thank you for reposting.

The National Anthem has references to God. It is in the second verse, which usually is not sung at events.

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Reactions: my3boys

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Time for the N.A. to be changed, it has little to do with today's world and is too hard to properly hit all the notes.
I would vote for America the Beautiful
I would hate to see it changed. It's a true test of American patriotism that a citizen should be willing to attempt the difficult , if not impossible, to participate in singing it. And it keeps us more humble and unified in that so many can't make it though it but keep trying. It encourages a sense of humor about ourselves that even the worst singers have a place in America.

And I prefer an anthem of endurance in adversity.

Reactions: my3boys

·
Registered
13,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want to see it changed either, it's a beautiful anthem and always gives me goosebumps (unless it's butchered)

I thought this trumpet rendition was spectacular.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
I've always wondered why the first thing that Francis Scott Key did when he woke up on the morning after the battle was to ask some guy named José if he could still see the flag.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
The flag still stands for freedom and sacrifice. I would never want the NA to change. It is still pretty young and the price has been very high. I agree that America The Beautiful is a beautiful song...words and music. I like to sing it with volume anywhere my voice echoes, large open rooms, a farm silo, a swimming pool atrium...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts