Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I expected this movie to be good and maybe it was! After all, it had Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon in it. The storyline was hard to follow IMO.

BUT, the language! My Lord, it was disgusting! We turned it off. Now, don't think I"m a prude or I've never heard or used that language. It just wasn't necessary.

Not family entertainment at all!

Big disappointment.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Haven't seen it, but the older I get the more I hate the language in a lot of movies. Why do they think cursing makes the movie better?? I also know a few people that every other word out of their mouth is a curse word. I admit, I curse sometimes, but really try to watch my language.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Hill Crest Farm said:
if you ever spent any time in South Boston you would know that is EXACTLY how they talk-
It was a great story, but too bad they couldnt' have done it without all that, although like HCF said, that's reality

·
Banned
2,134 Posts
Hill Crest Farm said:
It is really a great pic- but I wouldn't let young kids watch it-
if you ever spent any time in South Boston you would know that is EXACTLY how they talk-
Agreed. Besides, you can't expect to watch a movie about mobsters and expect them to be firing off with "gosh darn" or "gee whiz." It would kinda detract from the realism of the film a bit... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you want to see a really good, more family type movie, then rent "The Astronaut Farmer" w/Billy bob Thornton, it is great!

The Departed is not a family movie, isn't it rated "R"?

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I haven't seen that movie, I don't like alot of swearing or violence in movies as i get older it bothers me more and more..
I like suspense and something that scares me a little bit, but forget the gore it just makes me sick!!
We watched the Last Mimzy last night, cute movie, and the Bridge to Tarabithia that was good..
The messengers was scary, nothing gory just suspense i guess. I rented Premonition with Sanrda Bullock that looks good too.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Wind in Her Hair said:
yes, it might have been "realistic" from a mobster/South Boston/language standpoint -and as far as I'm concerned -thats ANOTHER good reason to stay as far as I can from South Boston...yikeeyyy smikey...I don't NEED that kind of realism. You can have it. :baby04: My ears and sensibilities can only take so much assault. It may be a "fine, award winning" film but its not one I could make myself sit through. And I won't. Its like I tell my children - "Garbage in- garbage out".

I have trouble understanding how folks can just "filter" that stuff out and settle in and can actually "enjoy" the realism - :shrug: I don't ever wanna get "immune" to that kind of filth. Its a sad day when folks AREN'T offended to the point of turning it off, IMHO. :nono: If I couldn;t sit beside my mama and watch it -I ain't a'watchin' it! Thats my barometer.

As far as "that kind of language" being necessary to tell the story - thats silly. Thats just justifying. I have seen many many many gangster movies from the 40's and 50's that don't have one word of filth in them that are CLASSICS. Thats the section of the video store I gravitate towards anyway - the classics.

So, if "The Departed" is the kind of movie the "masses" enjoy, they can rest assured - I won't be standing in their way.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Bitter Clinger
4,787 Posts
If you are talking about the Robin Williams movie where he is running for president, skip it. It's not that great. It is actually this spy/conspiracy voter fraud type thing with a little humor thrown in (probably b/c of Williams)

I liked The Departed. It was a little hard to follow at first, what with all the secret undercovering and both characters are some sort of double agent. But I like the end….

Blood Diamond was EXCELLENT

….I am trying to think of any really good movies we have seen lately, but I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

·
Banned
2,134 Posts
Wind in Her Hair said:
yes, it might have been "realistic" from a mobster/South Boston/language standpoint -and as far as I'm concerned -thats ANOTHER good reason to stay as far as I can from South Boston...yikeeyyy smikey...I don't NEED that kind of realism. You can have it. :baby04: My ears and sensibilities can only take so much assault. It may be a "fine, award winning" film but its not one I could make myself sit through. And I won't. Its like I tell my children - "Garbage in- garbage out".

I have trouble understanding how folks can just "filter" that stuff out and settle in and can actually "enjoy" the realism - :shrug: I don't ever wanna get "immune" to that kind of filth. Its a sad day when folks AREN'T offended to the point of turning it off, IMHO. :nono: If I couldn;t sit beside my mama and watch it -I ain't a'watchin' it! Thats my barometer.

As far as "that kind of language" being necessary to tell the story - thats silly. Thats just justifying. I have seen many many many gangster movies from the 40's and 50's that don't have one word of filth in them that are CLASSICS. Thats the section of the video store I gravitate towards anyway - the classics.

So, if "The Departed" is the kind of movie the "masses" enjoy, they can rest assured - I won't be standing in their way.
And so we conclude our sermon for today...Has the collection plate already gone by?

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, Blood Diamond was a good movie with great acting.

In regard to The Departed, I expected some swearing and profanity. I just couldn't t tolerate a constant barage (sp?) of it.

Like I mentioned, in my life, I've heard and said it all but not in each and every sentence.

Kinda' reminded me of a teenager I knew who could use the Anglo-Saxon word for intercourse as a noun,pronoun, verb, adverb and adjective!

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Wind in Her Hair said:

I think Pirates of the Caribbean is more the kind of movie that appeals to the "masses", with its inane story and cartoonish violence. (And before anyone concludes that I must be an elitist if I think that, I saw it more than once and I've enjoyed many a ridiculous Hollywood movie).

"The Departed" is a very different kind of movie. The story is complicated and disturbing, the characters realistic, the acting excellent (with the exception of Jack Nicholson, in my opinion), and the language and violence part and parcel of the whole film. It was neither silly nor just a rationalization. If you're making a movie about undercover cops and dirty cops and mob vengeance and the criminal underground in a big East Coast city, there is indeed a place for swearing and violence. To clean it up and pretty it up is to make it what it's definitely not: clean and pretty. You can make a movie that is cleaner and less disturbing, and it might be very good and much, much more acceptable to many people, but this movie doesn't try to be that way. That doesn't make it filth, though. It makes it a different kind of movie: one in which the violence was not cartoonish or entertaining or anything but brutal. One that was supposed to be disturbing. One that explored the idea of what happens to men who are on the front lines dealing with vicious criminals.

I'm pretty sure this will be taken wrong, but sometimes I think it would be better to have more violence in films. Not that violence is a good thing. What I mean is, so many movies have cars blowing up, motorcycles racing around, people punching each other, guns everywhere, special effects explosions, but the consequences are curiously bloodless. Instead of being horrified by the destruction, we cheer the good guys and have some more popcorn. "The Departed" zoomed in closer, didn't blink, didn't let the audience shrug it off. That may be the kind of assault you will not subject your mind to, and I certainly respect that opinion, but it doesn't make the film "garbage".

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Ardie/WI said:
Kinda' reminded me of a teenager I knew who could use the Anglo-Saxon word for intercourse as a noun,pronoun, verb, adverb and adjective!

ARDIE Did u know me as a teenager! :) Thankfully I have cleaned up my garbage mouth since then. Not that it doesn't slip out from time to time :shrug: BUT I do try really hard not to use those words anymore.

·
Premium Member
24,574 Posts
ajaxlucy said:
I think Pirates of the Caribbean is more the kind of movie that appeals to the "masses", with its inane story and cartoonish violence. (And before anyone concludes that I must be an elitist if I think that, I saw it more than once and I've enjoyed many a ridiculous Hollywood movie).

"The Departed" is a very different kind of movie. The story is complicated and disturbing, the characters realistic, the acting excellent (with the exception of Jack Nicholson, in my opinion), and the language and violence part and parcel of the whole film. It was neither silly nor just a rationalization. If you're making a movie about undercover cops and dirty cops and mob vengeance and the criminal underground in a big East Coast city, there is indeed a place for swearing and violence. To clean it up and pretty it up is to make it what it's definitely not: clean and pretty. You can make a movie that is cleaner and less disturbing, and it might be very good and much, much more acceptable to many people, but this movie doesn't try to be that way. That doesn't make it filth, though. It makes it a different kind of movie: one in which the violence was not cartoonish or entertaining or anything but brutal. One that was supposed to be disturbing. One that explored the idea of what happens to men who are on the front lines dealing with vicious criminals.

I'm pretty sure this will be taken wrong, but sometimes I think it would be better to have more violence in films. Not that violence is a good thing. What I mean is, so many movies have cars blowing up, motorcycles racing around, people punching each other, guns everywhere, special effects explosions, but the consequences are curiously bloodless. Instead of being horrified by the destruction, we cheer the good guys and have some more popcorn. "The Departed" zoomed in closer, didn't blink, didn't let the audience shrug it off. That may be the kind of assault you will not subject your mind to, and I certainly respect that opinion, but it doesn't make the film "garbage".
:clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
ajaxlucy said:

Thanks, since you and Ravenlost really liked it-I'm going to check it out!! :hobbyhors

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Ardie/WI said:
I expected this movie to be good and maybe it was! After all, it had Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon in it. The storyline was hard to follow IMO.

BUT, the language! My Lord, it was disgusting! We turned it off. Now, don't think I"m a prude or I've never heard or used that language. It just wasn't necessary.

Not family entertainment at all!

Big disappointment.
I agree I watched it but the constant cussing was not needed for the story line . I was pretty disappointed .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts