Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After one buyer could not get his loan a second and third appeared. One bid more than asking price and got the place. THEN they, their agent and the lender fiddled around until the very last moment and announced that they had to have assurance that the house was above flood level, or they had to have insurance. They could not make closing date---got an engineer out with his electronics, read the elevation off the satellites--got closing clearance, too late to close on time.

Furniture was gone, Barb was gone with the furniture (she had to let them into the new place) and I spent one night on an air mattress in an empty house. Fuming of course. Next day my own agent informed me that they were penciled in for Friday, I went by the closer and signed the papers, left for Ark. Spent the next day trying to unload my van ...the movers missed an entire closet full of clothing, and there were some vital papers and a few things I did not trust to the movers. I must have looked like the Joad's kinfolk as I rolled down the highway with a big potted rose in the passenger seat.

I got a fitful night of sleep Thursday, Friday I did what I could to straighten out the things we moved, got my driver's license---about 5PM the agent called--all done, the $ will be wired to my account on Monday. A few hundred dollars more than I expected.

Now all Barb and I have to do is decide what to keep and what to give to the thrift shops, trash or stack on top of something else.

Oh, yes; I learned that I cannot get my hunting and fishing licenses until sixty days have passed, but I can then get a too-danged-old lifetime combination license for $35 and change. New years eve, here I come.

Now all I have to do (aside from settling into this place) is find a place to garden.
ox

·
Have a Great Day!
5,197 Posts
It is good to hear You are settling in Ox*I hope that You Like the new Place, and area, and You get to continue Your Dreams* Peace*

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Glad you got it done Ox! Guess there are always hiccups of some kind, at least it wasn't too bad, considering, except for the sleeping on the floor part!

I hate the actual moving part, but I kind of like the settling in, figuring out how everything fits in the new place, making a new nest. :) Okay, maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, lol!

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Glad you got it all completed! For sure, a new chapter you've got to keep us posted about.

Wish you were a couple miles closer!

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Harrison, Ark, Dutchie.

Gary, as soon as I can get my own computer set up I'll send a few pictures. It is not flat country, nor is it particularly mountainous.

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
Happy that you got all moved and the house sold!!! Now you can take your time settling in and enjoy the winter. :)

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
Enjoy yourself, OX. I think the best things about moving has to be the exploring and finding new things! Priceless!

Mon

Reactions: Twp.Tom

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, Kids: Thought this thread had gone away. Here's the update:

I pretty well ran my batteries down getting the move done, so when I got here I promptly came down with a chest thing and a really bad tooth. Went to the Dr. got antibiotics for the chest, took them a week but did not go to the dentist, knowing that he'd not do anything while I was feverish.

Hospital last Sat. night until Tuesday, home with more antibiotics but cleared to see dentist. Took care of that and began immediate recovery. Still two more days of anti-s but feel good and am looking forward to turkey day.

Still getting used to the difference between a hundred-yard walk to the barn and sixty five feet from pavement to back fence. I'll be seeing a lot of Walmart and Home depot while I walk this winter--I hope to have some days when it is safe for a flatlander to explore the countryside, but no way I'll be on these roads in bad weather.

Harrison really is a nice town; trade center for a large area and always bustling. Way more here than you'd expect in a town of 13,000.

Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving.
Ox

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Oh wow, what a way to end a move..hospital and a bad tooth ache! Glad things have improved for you and hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts