The more I learn about metal roofing the less I think I want it

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beeman, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I have been doing research on what type of roof I want to install on my home. I have a covered deck with a metal roof and was going to re-roof the whole house with 5 rib metal panels just like the deck. Well the deck has issues already with condensation, expansion contraction noise, and now leaks around the screws after 2 years. I've been reading the metal roofing.com board and it seems that everyone has problems with everything about the installation. I've spoken with the metal roofing manufacturers and none seem consistent or even seem to care about installation. I do like the look and don't question the durability of the panels, I'm just thinking that maybe metal is best for barns and sheds.

2. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

I have a metal roof and like it just fine. It's been up there almost 4 years now and not one problem yet. When I put it down though I would put the screws half way in then squirt some chaulking arond it and continue on. One friend said I was wasteing my time but heck I don't have rain on my head. :) I also ran a bead of chaulking down any of the seams just to make sure.

3. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

We had really nice metal roofing on the house we bought in town. I LOVED it and wanted to use it again when we build out here. It was one of the things I missed when we moved. I loved hearing the rain. Never had any problems with it. When we put in a porch we matched the roofing and it seemed easy for DH to install, I'd have to ask him though.

4. Bubba Can Dance

Bubba Can Dance Well-Known Member

We have a metal roof and have had some problems with it. We have had two different roofers to work on it other than the installer. Both of the roofers agree the problem was poor installation, not the material. The roof was installed on 1x4 lathes with regular roof screws, and were over tightened causing the screws to strip out. Both of the roofers recommended replacing the regular screw with bumblee screws, which are about twice as large. In the places where we have had leaks and replaced the smaller screws, we have had no further problems. My suggestion is find a reputable roofer that can provide references, then check out the references. It may cost a little more, but it will be worth it in the end. Other than the problems with the installation, we really like our metal roof.

5. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

We are about 10 yrs into the metal roof on our house and absolutely love it, esp the rain patter on it. It was a lot less cost than shingles because we were able to put nailers up and go right over the old roof. We'd have had to remove the old roof to re-do with shingles. The only down sides are that we go through at least one surge protector each year (phone only, not elec) and do have to watch when the snow comes off at times. We need to put up snow hooks - never did do that.

6. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I just had to reroof my place this year, went with metal as that was what was used previously. The installers laid self-sealing strips at every panel overlap, sides and tops/bottoms and each and every screw has a rubber washer sealer. I had some clear panels installed on the porch section and it's great letting sun into the house and being able to see the stars perfectally at night. No worries about hail damage and particularly fire damage, guaranteed for 30 years on the color. LOVE a tin roof.

7. bare

bare Head Muderator

I've put on lots of steel roofs over the years and never yet had a call back. You have to ask for the recommendations of each different manufacturer because they vary as to instructions. If recommendations are followed as to screw type, placement and direction of lay, you won't have a problem and the metal company should guarantee it.

Don't trust any so called roofer to check the manufacturer for specs though, make sure you do it yourself and make sure your roofer follows them to a T.

8. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Ive put in many metal roofs, none leak, some have been up since 1991 when i started building for other people.....

one trick is when installing a roof, on 24 inch metal is to use 4 screws in the field every 2 feet [measure and use your chalk line and pre-drill the holes using a 1/8 inch drill bit.... hold 3-4 sheets with a vise grip type pliers, dont rry to drill without using 4 pliers one on each corner and never drill more than 4 pieces, sticking to 3 when possible, you will lose a drill bit or 2 on each roof cause they are small bits] all the holes will line up, leave the last hole not drilled, and put it in to lock down the next piece of metal... if the metal moves when putting in the first row of screws, back them out and go to the next row, putting the first row in last or the metal will move again as the screws will "pull" back to the first hole.

ALL roof types require venting properly, barns annd sheds tend not to be fully sheathed therefore they tend not to have moisture problems....

William

9. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    I live almost on the opposite coast to most of you, and in a suburban tract house (where I'm trying to subsistence farm for vegetables in the back yard), so the materials we have available here might be different from yours. One of my neighbors had their roof re-done with an aggregate coated metal that looks a lot like wood shake. The advantage for them was partly less noise, but also more insulation from heat and cold. I don't know how expensive it was compared to regular metal though.

Nobody here has a metal roof (other than tin roofs on sheds and such). People have tile, fire-treated wood shake, and different variations on aggregate/asphalt.

I'd like to see what a metal roof looks like if anyone has a picture?

10. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I have a metal roof and love it. It was on the house when we bought it 15 years ago. We've had some fairly bad hail storms that didn't hurt the roof, although it did bust the window out of the car. The only problem I can report is that the roof is dark brown. In the heat we have here, I would prefer a lighter color. Also, it's looking a little bit faded. It would probably look new again if I was to go up there and clean it. Maybe even spray some liquid wax on it to make it shine. LOL

11. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

just brush a blob of koolseal on each screwhead, you wont have any leaks.

koolseal comes in white... or black.

its wonderful gunk.

12. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

My dad put a metal roof over his existing shingle roof. I like the idea. It would be much more expensive in initial cost, but I think it would last many more years.

13. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I'm looking at the painted metal ribbed panels so kool seal doesn't work.

I've spoken to manufacturers and installers and I don't think there are 2 that install the same. Most and the advice on the metalroofing.com site say never apply roofing just over strips on your rafters that they need plywood underlayment. They all have different recommendations on where to put the screws, flats or ribs, but they all say the rubber washer on the screw will go bad and leak. Every roof I know of makes the popping and cracking when heating and cooling which is putting pressure on the screws every heat/cool cycle.

4 screws in 24" means a screw every 8", that sounds like a lot of screws, does everyone have that many screws in theirs? I guess this is another some do some don't of the installation process.

How about walking on the roof to clean chimneys and such? What about the spaces at the end of the roof where the raised ribs are, any insect problems?

14. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Ny installers used 1000s of screws and from where I'm sitting it looks like about every 8" or so. The ends of my roofing were seated on some sort of foam expanxion strip so there is no gap for insects. I walk on the roof to clean the chimmney no problems. I'm under the impression the reason to use 4x8 plywood underlayment sheets is to cut the noise level from rain and hail. It does get a tad noisy once in a while in a hard rain but not intolerable.

15. harrisjnet

harrisjnet Okie with Attitude

We installed a metal roof this spring. We put a screws in each valley every three to four foot, plus the ribs where two peices join together. We put it over existing composition shingles. My son does metal roofing professionally and helped DH and I do it. We purchased foam closures for the eave ends and a different type for the ridgerow. We used both short and long screws. So far so good. I think the spacing on screws has to do with the pitch on your roof and how windy your area is.

16. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

As far as walking on a metal roof to clean it - be sure to wear a harness. My husband had been up on a particular metal roof (he used to have a side window cleaning business) a bunch of times. One day he slid and could not find anything to grab. Plummeted 20 feet onto agregate. Fractured his pelvis, his face, his wrist was in so many pieces he has A LOT of pins and a titanium plate in it. He also had several contusions on his brain, which fortunately did not cause any permanent damage (however having him ask me for a week what day it was and why he was in the hospital 20 times a day was a little frightening!).

It took three (and maybe four to take out another plate) surgeries to put him back together again. The airlift to the hospital alone cost $8000 (that's for 60 miles) One day in the trauma ICU - $15,000. Between the trauma center and in patient rehab He was hospitalized for nearly three weeks. Espensive price to pay for want of a $100-$200 harness!

He was out of work for two months, in a wheelchair for 6 weeks. No fun. Thankfully all he has left of that are the huge scars on his arm from two surgeries!

Lesson Learned...

kids

17. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We have metal roofs on all of our buildings. We paid to have the original cabin's roof professionally installed and my husband watched and learned how to do it. Since then he's put the roof on the bedroom wing of the cabin, the sixstall horse barn and an assortment of machine sheds and outbuildings. We have had no problems with any of it at all and we really love it.

18. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I put 5 rib metal on both my homes here. I put a long screw on the ridges about every 18" exxcept on the edges where wind ccan catch it there I put the every 8 ir so inches.

every overlapped rib was painted with coolseal, and all the screwheads were painted with coolseal

I did it the lazy way directly laid on the old shingles, because the more I asked about it the more diffeent only one ways" I got from people.

so far about 8 yrs has gone by, no leaks. and the roof leaked bad on the other house before I put the tin on.

coolseal will stick to the painted metal thats what I have.

I like it because rain shed faster, snow slides off it. Mine doesnt crek or pop it make noise.

I have used the rubber washer nails on the horses shed with the same kinda roof, after a few yrs in the sun the rubber washers shrunk and cracked and the roof leaked and I still had to reseal it all with koolseal.

yeah you bet dont walk on a wet metal roof..... it hurts!

19. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

My home has a metal roof.

It has been LOUD when it rains or hails though.

No leaks.

I installed it. The company [US Steel] sent with it a bunch of bags of screws to use. They were all 'self-starting' and had rubber washers on them. None of them would 'self-start' though. I ended up drilling all of the holes, through the roofing and through the metal rafters.

Just this week I finished spraying styrofoam insulation underneath it. So it is a lot quieter now.

I would squirt a bit of the reall stinky caulk into each hole as you drive each screw in place. That should seal it good. I have been up there tons of times.

I think that metal roofs are the best roof around.

Mine has a baked-on enamel finish that is to last 30-years, same as the walls.

:)

20. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Nobody mentioned the differences, OR preferences in the guage of the tin used in roofing. Ive seen it the thinness of a sheet of typing paper, to somewhat thinner than the cardboard back of a big chief tablet, yet no mention of this which I would think was very important. Also. I was also taught to put in the nails on the tops, not the valleys assuming, that in the valleys you would have a more vigerous flow of water constantly than on the tops, which, the only water they at the tops would be getting was what actually fell. The valleys would get that also, along with the flow down from the tops. Finally nobody mentioned pitch in roofs. That is VERY important. My, (then) FIL designed this house which is 2 gambrel roof storage sheds connected by a V roof thats pitch is 1 in 20. WAY to little pitch, BUT, the gambrel roof on the largest shed has a couple of leaks in high rain that I cant seem to find. I believe that the leaks are where the roof changes pitch. Ive caulked it, but I really think ive only made it worse, or not helped it at all. The V part leaks bad and to such an extent that Im afraid to go up on it anymore