Homesteading Forum banner

The Mom Adoption Agency

441 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Loriann1971 
#1 ·
Ok, since some of us don't have the best moms out there, I think we should have a mom adoption agency... for those of us who need a mother's advice and can't get it lol

Ya think I could charge money for this and get rich? :shrug:

(kidding)....

I've adopted at least half a dozen 'mom's' in my own life---co-workers and neighbors who I can always depend on to lend a helpful ear...

So who is available here for adoption? lol

Line up, so that we can:
Get advice on cooking a pot roast
Get advice on husbands and kids
Get advice on jobs...
Get help doing the laundry
Get an allowance? (OK, was just checking...ya never know...)
etc. etc. etc....

#2 ·
We joke with my mom that when she dies we'll have to rent an auditorium for her funeral! She's adopted so many - coworkers, many of my friends and my siblings' friends, neighbors... mothering them all and makign sure that any child that went through her doors left them with a hug - because she knew many of them didn't get them at home, and giving them the most unconditional love a human can give - because many of them don't get it at home. She firmly believes in "Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin" and has made sure we all know that even when we make bad choices, she loves us.

I just wanted to encourage those mothers who can, to 'adopt' people - because even the smallest things, like a hug, can make huge differences in a life.

#4 ·
My great grandmother mothered everyone, showered them with love, I have so many stories of her during the depression, taking care of everyone, making due, keeping all her nieces and nephews and baking 8 loaves of bread a day to keep them fed, and strangers that came to her door needing food... I didn't know her long beore alzhimers took her, but if it wernt for her of my grandparents, I would of never known love and compassion! That is why one can never have too many moms...Its great to be loved, and to pass that love on to others who need it as well. A couple of Polish ladies here at work have adopted me, though I never asked to be adopted, they are always insisting on treating me to food and such, though I try to pay them back in tomatoes and things, they won't let me pay them back except in hugs LOL

#5 ·
My mother "mothered" everybody too. One after the other after another got up and spoke about my mother at her funeral. She got a standing ovation.
She was a good listener and a whole lot of fun. She expected the best from everybody, and overlooked people's faults.

I guess I'm like my mother somewhat. I've "mothered" a whole lot of cowboys and friends of my kids, grandkids. I have a whole lot of men friends too..."brothers".

I guess I just grew up with treating people like family. It seems natural.

I rather like the tone of this HT for that reason, I suppose. It seems like a family deal, pretty much.

But NO....don't show up at my door. I'm not taking in boarders anymore.

#6 ·
Wildwood Flower said:
My mother "mothered" everybody too. One after the other after another got up and spoke about my mother at her funeral. She got a standing ovation.
She was a good listener and a whole lot of fun. She expected the best from everybody, and overlooked people's faults.

I guess I'm like my mother somewhat. I've "mothered" a whole lot of cowboys and friends of my kids, grandkids. I have a whole lot of men friends too..."brothers".

I guess I just grew up with treating people like family. It seems natural.

I rather like the tone of this HT for that reason, I suppose. It seems like a family deal, pretty much.

But NO....don't show up at my door. I'm not taking in boarders anymore.
Can I show up at your door for a homemade oatmeal cookie? :) :p

#7 ·
chickenmommy said:
Funny, all mus sons friends wanted me to be their mom. Son now, was a different story. I would be happy to help any who need it. All wayward kids, young or old are welcome at my door for hugs, meals, a snuggy bed or just an ear and a cup of tea for a while.

LOL! I can SO relate!

My kids' friends used to hang out here, individually or in groups. They'd want to talk, and they were welcome in my kitchen (though I often put them to work!) Some of them still come by to say "Hi" and have a cuppa (or a beer these days!)

But a couple of times, a kid would say, "I don't see what Mike is complaining about!"

I'd just remind the kids that nobody is perfect, and when you live with people, you get to know their flaws pretty well, and you sometimes bear the brunt of their imperfections. I'm not a perfect mom, and my kids are the ones who had to deal with my learning curve. :shrug: Of COURSE they'd complain.

It's all good now, though. Mike comes by and still brings his friends. And he doesn't complain about me anymore. Maybe because he can look at me and say, "Mom, I'm a grown-up now. Remember?" And we laugh and move ahead. :)

Pony!

#8 ·
A lot of the kids my children went to school with called me "momma B" and some of them still call me momma when they see me.

Although I have always loved my mother I have never felt her love for me. But I had a wonderful lady who loved me like her own but unfortunately she died in a car accident on January 9th this year. I miss her terribly. When I was sick or needed anything I called her much quicker than I would have my biological mother. My bio mother will tell me in a heartbeat that she couldn't do anything to help but my "Mrs. Gladys" always said "I'll be there in a minute." and she was.

Talk about needing a gym for a wake...when Mrs. Gladys died, we stood in line for an hour before we could get into the parlor at the funeral home. I would love to be half the lady she was. She was special.

southrngardngal-Jan

#9 ·
I know what you mean. I lost my Mom in May and I can't tell you how many times a day that I reach for the phone to tell her one quick thing, or I think of some question to ask her about the garden, my daughter, my pregnancy, dinner, etc and it takes me a minute to realize that there isn't going to be anyone on the other end of the line. It is very strange to suddenly be without a mom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.