Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"A newly discovered fragment of the oldest surviving copy of the New Testament indicates that, as far as the Antichrist goes, theologians, scholars, heavy metal groups, and television evangelists have got the wrong number. Instead of 666, it's actually the far less ominous 616."
" Professor David Parker, Professor of New Testament Textual Criticism and Paleography at the University of Birmingham, thinks that 616, although less memorable than 666, is the original. He said: "This is an example of gematria, where numbers are based on the numerical values of letters in people's names. Early Christians would use numbers to hide the identity of people who they were attacking: 616 refers to the Emperor Caligula."

·
Registered
11,304 Posts
So you disagree that a person who studies the Bible for a living may have some insight that the lay person does not?
I believe he has some insight. In the scheme of Christianity and salvation it makes for discussion but he would be wrong, and the article you quoted from would indicate so.
If he notified the NYT that he discovered blonde hairs belonging to Jesus and his snuff bag I'd say that was interesting too, but of little importance and highly doubtful.

·
Registered
11,304 Posts
Irenaeus, noted in the article and from the 2nd century, had already discounted it as an error 1800 years ago.

·
Registered
11,304 Posts
It is important to many that it causes doubt in Christians
I used to know a computer/IT genius (my opinion) who lived and breathed all things electronic. He was a Christian, great guy, a little nerdish, and not well versed in scripture. He started dating a woman from our church who was a practicing version.
He came to me once asking me about the significance of "666". Being the ornery sob I am, I told him that in Latin the numerals translate to "www" and that the mark on the hand signified his right hand on the mouse and the reflection of the monitor on his forehead. I'm pretty sure he urinated a little bit, and it led to a half joking conversation with the preacher a few Sundays later.
I shouldn't have done that.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
It’s all frivolous stuff and nonsense.

Whether they say it’s this or that, it still has nothing to do with the price of corn does it.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Damn! I just had 500 business cards printed up!

·
Registered
21,534 Posts
I doubt it is a coincidence that in reading Revelation you should notice the Anti Christ shows up on earth in the 6th seal, 6th vial, and 6th trump. Seeing as the word 'revelation' in the Greek means the uncovering or to reveal, I suspect we should pay attention. I'm glad people study such things but I also think they tend to over complicate the simplicity in the Word.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts