The kids got new bikes

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Anita in NC, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

We took the kiddos to Target yesterday. Ben, 6, used some of his xmas money to buy a 16" bike for $35. Peter, 10, used $88 of his money to buy a 21 speed 24" bike.

FYI - if you buy a bike at Target they come already assembled.

We stopped a the park on the way home and Peter, who wasn't that keen on getting a bike because he doesn't know how to ride, learned to ride in about 10 minutes. I guess he just wasn't ready when he had tried in the past. By the end of the hour he was riding in figure 8's.

Ben, 6, had his daddy help him with his bike but he hasn't learned to ride it yet. We'll keep at it and he'll get there soon.

We had bought training wheels for Ben's bike and when we got home DH put them on and they won't work with Ben's bike. Poor Ben upset himself crying. He'll get over it though and the training wheels will have to be returned to the store.

Peter's bike is just the right size for me and even though it has been 25 years since I rode a bike - I still can. :dance:

Even, little Sam, 3, got a bike but it had to be assembled so he didn't get to ride it till we got home.

2. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

Yes, he'll learn to ride it without the training wheels. He just needs to get his confidence up.

3. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Try letting some of the air out of his tires. Its easier to balance on and not so fast/quick to roll. Just compare his body weight to the pooch of the tires side wall, when he is on the bike. But keep in mind as he learns to ride (or if anyone else gets on the bike!) you need to keep the tires tight enough as to not pinch the tube inside when he hit hard objects like the edge of side walks, tree roots and such. Id guess some where around 10 to 15 pounds of air to start with.

He will have the hang of it real soon! :)