The joys of the electric blanket!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by painterswife, Dec 10, 2006.

1. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Last year we bought an electric blanket. I pulled it out and put in on the bed last week.

We keep the bedroom cool, less that 65 most of the time. We turn that blanket on before heading to bed.

It is sublime getting into a warm bed. What a wonderful feeling.

We turn it off as soon as we get into bed, but that first intial toasty feel is
    great.

2. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

:) DH had never used one until he met me. We were raised with them.
    DH really likes that initial warmth when you crawl between the sheets. But, like you said, after that, he turns his side either off or down to 1... I keep mine on about 3.

I sleep better with less clothing on (sorry to give TMI) so it works great for me. Otherwise, I'd be bundled up feel "confined".

3. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Here in my part of Australia, where only the wealthy (or wannabe wealthy!) have central heating, electric blankets are widely used. Except for a tiny room heater, that's all the warmth I have in winter. Where I live, winters are very mild (no frost), but I'm a bit of a lizard and like the heat! In colder areas, it's either an electric blanket or a hot-water bottle, and I know which I prefer!

Word of warning: electric blankets are a common cause of house fires. This is mainly because people neglect to have them checked every year for wiring faults. It's important that they be kept flat when on the bed so that they don't bunch up, and when storing them away it's best to roll them up instead of folding them. The constant folding-unfolding can cause the wires to weaken or cause 'hot spots'. Here in Australia, local electricity companies designate a number of qualified elecricians to check electric blankets as a free service to the community.

I love my leccy blanket!

4. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

I grew up in an old farm house where an electric blanket was a must for cold Winter nights, but in the newer houses I've lived in as an adult, I prefer a down comforter. It seems like you're sleeping under nothing, but it sure keeps me warm.

5. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Old farmhouse here! I have had nights where my blanket was cranked up to 22 all night and I didn't feel uncomfortably warm :rolleyes: Fortunately we have dual controls. DH doesn't like as much heat at night. He prefers his heat during the day and I like the downstairs thermostat set at 60. He's always cranking the downstairs heat. As a kid my room was so cold that water actually froze in there. Our house is not that bad but you can often see your breath upstairs. I've pretty much had an electric blanket since I was a kid and doubt I'll ever be without.

6. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

It took me 14 years to talk my wife into electric blanket. We keep the heat off in our bedroom and she always gripes because of the cold bed when she gets in it. And even when I told her I had one when I was a kid she still thought they were a joke and no good. We got one last summer on sale. Now I think she would get rid of me before she got rid of the electric blanket. And she tells me from time to time she sure does enjoy a warm bed when she sleeps.

7. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree on the electric blanket.

When I was a kid, our home was cold - and I mean cold. We only had wood heat and when the heater got cold - that was it. My kids thought I was joking when I told them I slept under so much cover I couldn't turn over at night.

My husband and I didn't use electric blankets until our bones begin to get old and I can't imagine being without one now.

Dual controls are the secret to a happy marriage, though.

8. ~Jenny~

~Jenny~ New Member

Even better is the electric mattress pad! :)

9. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Are electric blankets still available and if so, how much are they? We have one that my mother-n-law gave us and I would like to get the kids one for their beds.

10. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

11. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I prefer to sleep under heavy covers; I find the weight comforting. I don't think I'd want any of them electrified.

12. mj1angier

mj1angier Well-Known Member

My wife has always loved her electric balnket but they have always been to much for me- I am a hot natured person. But his year we have keep the heat a little lower (65 vs 68) and i find myself slipping under it more often. I biggest problem is the cat s love it and them make it hard to turn over during the night.
    Mickey