The jersey bug has struck again......

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by allenslabs, Apr 20, 2006.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Well.......... Im gettin another jersey..... :shrug: I had sold my cow Annie cause DH hated the milk cow and let me have milk goats. Well the kids needed a 4H calf and I told an amish guy I would buy whatever the cow had heifer or steer. Well he wrote me and said she had a little heifer!!! I was so excited! I am giving him 2 saanen buck kids and $50 for her and am getting her on saturday!! I just cant wait! She is of course adorable. And yes I did get hubby clearance. So we'll see how it goes. I figure for $150 I can't really go wrong as that's what holstein steers go for here IF You can find them.
    So .......... I'm in the cows agaiN!!

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

For a purebred, that is one heck of a deal... :)

Cow bug will never leave you, even some people who haven't farmed in years have the cow bug, and find a way to be around cows.

Jeff

3. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

Jeff, that's so very true!!! Cows in the field have just always turned my head their direction. I lost my first one to some undetermined illness in 1974, a Brown Swiss that was like a huge puppy, and was heartbroken over that. It never dawned on me in all the intervening years that I'd ever have a chance to get another because I lived in many places during that time where a cow was out of the question and the thought never entered my head, but here I am, with this huge Guernsey XAngus, that that I got in 2001 that AI breeds easily every heat, and is a fine milker. Property can carry 3 cow-calf pairs or 8 feeders, so I want to build to that. Must cross-fence into paddocks first, I believe. Maybe DH will let me get that done this year. It's all in orchard grass that needs reseeded.