Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my time off last week, I did the morning milking instead of my son, just because I could ;) I also took my two year old with me. The chores took twice as long but the memories will always be precious to me.

While sitting in the stall and milking our Jersey, Violet, Ethan (2) was sitting on my lap and reaching in to "help Daddy". He would then get up, walk to Violet's face and say "Thank you for the milk, Violet!" and kiss her on the slimey snout.

Our Nigerian dwarf doe let herself out of the goat pen and shared Violet's hay with her as I milked, a stray cat that has adopted us came in, sat next to me and put her paws on my leg and an 'ousted' rooster came in the stall to visit with me at the same time.

I stopped and texted my wife with the message "I LOVE my life!", and I meant it. It was a very Daddy/Dr. Doollittle moment.

Why do I ever let the stresses of life make me forget how blessed I am?

What are your "I love my life" moments?

Cliff

·
joy seeker
1,482 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing that with us--bravo to you for taking the time to enjoy the moments in your life!

I have those moments often, I truly make it a life pursuit to 'be in the moment'...I'll share one of those that happened this evening just before that husband o' mine came home.

The teens and I were all in the living room with supper simmering on the stove, Christmas music playing and we were each reading a book...just hangin' out, reading n commenting here n there, waiting for that man to get home for supper. I thought 'oh yeah'...an overwhelmingly contented moment :)

~~

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
I love my life because:
My grandbabies kiss me and sit on my lap.

When friends little blind daughter hugs me and talks to me about her day, when I'm visiting.

When I hear my grandkids laughing.

When my dog bounds onto the porch for a dog biscuit, but can't be coaxed in because he has to stay on the job "protecting his cows."

When my Professor rewards us by cancelling class, because she kept us late so many times.

When I get A's on my essay papers.

When I get to buy toys for the Toys-4-Tots box at work and head-up the collection we're doing for the Soldiers Lounge at the Airport.

When the people I work with greet me at work every morning.

When my husband shares his day with me.

When my brother calls from the road and lets me know what how he's doing.

When my Aunts email me and fill me in on their daily doings.

Thanks, Cliff - sometimes I forget to count my blessings too!!!

·
I am a Christian American
2,974 Posts
Sigh...mmmmm. All of it makes me smile.

·
I am a Christian American
2,974 Posts
Every morning my 16 mo old grandson grabs the phone and hands it to his mother saying "talka Nana?" She calls me and he says MOO, I say Moo back and I love you, he kisses the phone and says "Bye!" mmmmmmm...sigh

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
I recall when Kara was about 1 and a half, and I was lugging her from room to room doing chores. She climbed up on the bed (it was a gorgeous early summer day and the windows were open) and sat looking out the window. She kept calling me to come and see, come and see. Finally I felt guilty and went to peek out the window. I think we ended up sitting there for an hour, watching the horses, watching the birds, watching a bee...

There was one moment non-kid oriented that will last forever in my mind. It was dusk and I happened to be looking out the window into the horse field. There was a herd of deer in there with the boys, and all of a sudden, all of them took off running across the field. The horses mingled in with the deer, they had deer in front, around and behind them. They all just ran across the field, nice and easy, perfection. It was a Kodak moment, but of course, I had no camera. I never do!!!

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Awhh, you guys are making me tear up. We are blessed.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I don't think I can top any of these sweet stories. CJB, your post sounded so sweet and peaceful!

I have had a lot of trials and tribulation in the last year and so this time in my life those "i love my life moments" are when my 18 yo opens his arm and asks me for a hug after three days of arguing and tension because he snuck out (AGAIN!); my twenty year old calling and telling me he got "employee of the year" last night and then coming in tonight to move the first half of his stuff back in because he found out he really isn't ready financially to live on his own (even if he and his two buddies ate TWO loaves of french bread, half the gumbo, and half the snickerdoodle cookies!); my husband reading our advent devotions with candles lit and complimenting supper (he is not a man of compliments usually); my 14 yo asking for and being very happy and content with just two books for christmas (both military aircraft lol); my daughter who is so concerned for everyone and the world, who always prays for everyone and is growing up so pretty and talented and always with her nose stuck in a book every day; and watching my youngest as he sleeps (although his giggles tug my heart too!) all count for my "i love my life" moments.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
During my time off last week, I did the morning milking instead of my son, just because I could ;) I also took my two year old with me. The chores took twice as long but the memories will always be precious to me.

While sitting in the stall and milking our Jersey, Violet, Ethan (2) was sitting on my lap and reaching in to "help Daddy". He would then get up, walk to Violet's face and say "Thank you for the milk, Violet!" and kiss her on the slimey snout.

Our Nigerian dwarf doe let herself out of the goat pen and shared Violet's hay with her as I milked, a stray cat that has adopted us came in, sat next to me and put her paws on my leg and an 'ousted' rooster came in the stall to visit with me at the same time.

I stopped and texted my wife with the message "I LOVE my life!", and I meant it. It was a very Daddy/Dr. Doollittle moment.

Why do I ever let the stresses of life make me forget how blessed I am?

What are your "I love my life" moments?

Cliff
Awww, what a nice post! You sound very content ... I'm glad. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy! :)

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great stories, all.

Willow, I've missed you - we haven't chatted for a long time! I hope you're well and blessed. By the way, I now completely understand your affinity for bovines. :)

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
What wonderful "I love my life" stories... I am sitting here bawling at kisses and thank you's for Violet.. What a wonderful sweet child!!

I LOVE my life, also, and thank the good Lord for my precious husband, kids and grands...

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
I was down at the barn a couple of weeks ago, and watched my 9 year old running through the field with the dog. Jacob was running wide open, arms flailing, shirt tails flying in the wind, and the biggest smile you ever seen plastered across his face. It was one of those times when you just have to stop what you're doing and watch, feeling guilty that you're enjoying such a moment without sharing it with anyone. A picture couldn't capture it, and neither can words.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Mmmm everyones are so special! CJB thank you for starting this!

The first time my 7yr old grandson Logan milked the Nubie Grace..just a couple of squirts but during the same few minutes 6th grader up the road who has spent lots of time with our goats tried it and she cut him off, just turned around and looked at him as if to say "Who are you these are mine!"

When my daughter asked if I had any milk cause Logan was asking for some Grace milk.

The first few days Grace was here...I went down to the barn and she pawed a hole int he straw next to me, laid down and put her head in my lap.

Pyro please more info on those great pics? Is that you as a young father??

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are some pics. Poor quality because they were on my cell phone:

The little man with a very cheesey grin

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Enjoying the fruits of his labor. Yucky, how he can drink it warm like that...

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Two of my stall buddies and Ethan's mode of transportation in the barn...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts