Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... in (long-term?) planning needs. Just zombie deer hordes at the moment, but with human hordes possibly following (some years) later. Per news articles like this one:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/deadly-zombie-deer-disease-could-possibly-spread-to-humans-experts-warn
(if this foxnews.com link did't come thru, google zombie deer & deer CWD)

... the zombie threat from disease seems to be moving beyond theory and into possibility.

Up to this point, I had known that mother nature *could* produce zombies in some ways (ie, zombie beetle), but she has now struck twice (first beetles, now mad cow disease & the similar deer CWD) in producing these zombified things.

Just goes to show that we can't count out mother nature in producing something that might lead to human zombie hordes. All she has to do is make it faster-acting, like she has already done in the Influenza pandemic of the early 1900's. We'll do the rest, in terms of spreading it ...

Of course, even without being zombified, the deer already come in hordes to anything I plant outside ...

·
Uncertified Master Chief Village Idiot
1,959 Posts
Hunters who have paid attention know that the info on CWD has been out there since the 80-90s...I guess that it takes the younger generation awhile to catch up.
When I took hunters education many moons ago it was a very large part of the course even then...

GA actually encourages us to kill and report any deer which exhibit signs of CWD even during "off season".

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It appears that the deer story link drew the attention here ... I was hoping the focus would be on disease that jumps from animals to humans, bumping zombie-ism up a notch on the believable scale. Up to this point, I had zombie horde "way way" down there; now, given the number of ways that nature can zombify something, it is only "way" down there.

The 1918 flu pandemic shows that a disease that's been around for awhile can be turned by nature into a pandemic ... things that kinda sorta can zombify could easily be turned by nature into something more dangerous & more real. For me, the CWD article just added one more piece to those things that zombify: rabies, sleeping sickness, leprosy, zombie wasp/beetle (chemical and virus), mad cow, & cwd, etc.

The lesson, I guess, is to prep for pandemics of any kind, given that history & nature shows us it is possible/probable, and not that far-fetched. Some older SEP threads I finally uncovered gave me a real good clue for this type of prep: have enough on hand that you can self-quarantine (stay at home for weeks/months or longer), such that you minimize getting infected; those that didn't prep, had to go forth into the masses (cities) to feed themselves, and brought the infection back. This makes sense, 'cause every time I go to town, someone in a building or crowd is coughing/hacking, and we get hitchhikers coming home with us ... the whole family gets sick in turn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting this should come up again. I wrote a paper last semester about the animal-to-human transmission of this disease (CWD). The prions can take at least 10 years to cause illness. There have been some longtime hunters who developed a disease which has not been identified. Scientists are not going to tell you humans can develop CWD for a long time (has to be tested over and over) :-( From what I read in journals the disease was definitely CWD. Animals get ill and die from CWD faster than humans because they have a higher metabolism and shorter lifespans. We have a higher than average amount of CWD in this area along with Sin Nombre hantavirus.
Being careful not to get brain matter or spinal cord fluid on bare skin will not protect people from CWD because prions are not living and cannot be destroyed by heat, acid, alcohol, bleach, autoclaving, or radiation. They are misfolded proteins and are not living matter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts