Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night DD and I camped at the smallholding. We do this quite a bit and it means that I can work later and start earlier with some of the bigger jobs that need doing. So we had a great night and I Started work at 6.00am. Got loads done!! In fact I managed to cross one of THE major jobs of my summer's list - sort of. The end of my barn needs re-building, and I was going to do it this summer - a friend was here last week and said not to buy treated timber as it isn't properly done, buy timber and treat it myself then do the re-build next spring......so far so good. So the decision had been made to patch the end of the barn now, before the September gales and that is what I did this morning. Creosoted what was there, put on the patches, and re-creosoted. Just got the corners to do. Got a couple of splashes of creosote on me but apart form that I came home on a real high. Whoohoo - big job crossed off list!!

Got showered and changed to go and help with one of our carnival week events - and off I went. Lovely HOY SUNNY day!! Within 10 mins of being out in the sun, I was burning where the creosote had hit me - and a few places where it hadn't. I couldn't stand still, my mum went off to the chemist to get something to ease it and I ended up standing in the boiling August sunshine wearing my FLEECE :( as it was the only thing I had in the car to keep the sun off me.

Not a happy bunny - I felt so good this morning and now I jsut want to curl up in the freezer :(

Please someone tell me I'm not the only one to do something this stupid :(

hoggie

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
hoggie said:
Please someone tell me I'm not the only one to do something this stupid :(

hoggie
Homesteading involves the repeated commission of innumerable bonehead blunders. :D

Welcome to the club. :baby04:

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
I still have little white marks on my arms from where I had creosote splashes and it burned - and that was about 27-28 years ago.

It's nasty stuff!

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pookshollow said:
I still have little white marks on my arms from where I had creosote splashes and it burned - and that was about 27-28 years ago.

It's nasty stuff!

Oh goody - more scars to go with all my hogweed scars :(

Yep it's horrible stuff - this is supposed to be the last year I use it - I am looking for an alternative but have a 5 gallon drum to use up first

hoggie

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
hoggie said:
OOOhhhhhhh - does that mean I get a shiny badge now LOL
All scars are badges of honor...........

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Aw, I'm sorry :( I hope it doesn't pain you long. What a bummer! i wonder if jewel weed would help? Every time I mess with nettles, jewel weed is a life saver.

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Nickie - I do't think we get that one - I am putting Aloe Vera lotion on it at the moment - just to ease the burns - and have to keep it covered up from the sun. It was the sun on it that made it bad.

hoggie

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hoggie, DH (who is British) says that when nettles sting there in the UK, to try rubbing with a dock leaf until the skin turns green from the leaf. I don't know that it would help with creosote burns.. but comfrey and aloe vera should bring some relief.

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Oh, I just thought of something else, whenever I had a bad sunburn as a child, my grandmother would give me a calendula vinegar bath!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.