The high cost of chicks..and everything else

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Elizabeth, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

Ay yi yi!!! I went online the other night to place an order with McMurray Hatcheries and was stunned at the prices- the same order for 25 chicks that was under $50 two years ago will now cost almost $75!!!! I wound up not placing the order and now I am going to have to really think about this. It isn't that I can't afford them, but I'm just not sure that they are worth $75 to me. I think I will try some other hatcheries- I have always been happy with the chicks I have gotten from MM, but they are usually the most expensive. In fact, we don't "need" any more chickens right now, but I know that I eventually want to add some other breeds and I am getting nervous about being able to get them in the future- and even if they are available later on the cost might be even more prohibitive than it is now. Has anyone else noticed this increase, or is it just me because I am so cheap, lol?

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I've had the same thoughts as you, that I'd better get what I want now, because it might not still be available to me later. I can't keep too many different breeds of anything, because we don't have enough land to grow feed for very many animals. I was planning on switching over from chickens to ducks for our egg supply, but may keep a few chickens just so I have a few chicks to sell to neighbors later when mailorder becomes unavailable. Most families could feed three or four hens off table scraps and garden waste, and that's what it may come down to.

Kathleen

3. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

the current issues with shipping is probably to blame. the way things are looking it would be best to eventually realize that hatching eggs and a good incubator will be the best option in the future. I sent out 27 stags for shipment to the Phillipine Islands and they were returned two days later. The usps is not shipping anything live that has to be transferred and in some states not at all.

4. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. But i placed an order with Sun Ray hatchery. they have only some "regular" type birds like RIR, Blask Astro, New Hamp. and such for about $1.10 average price per pullet (murry was $2.06) they also have the white turkeys for $2.80 where murry was $4.79. I ended up ordering 30 different heavy weight hens 15 turkeys and 25 jumbo cornish, all shipped, and vac. for About $100
    I found them on a search for sun ray hatchery
    the phone is 18008720481

Belinda

5. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Kathleen,
    We have chickens for eggs but i decided to get some duck to raise up and butcher, last spring...and well, i did butcher a few but the 3 female that i had left, starting laying and all 3 layed an egg every day this winter all throught the winter. I just decided to keep them because of that. If needed, i can butcher them by spring and get a few more for next winter. I think the ducks are a great idea ...i just happend on by accident.

Belinda

6. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

We shop at cackle, they are a 2 hour drive from here, and we bought 165 chicks, 25 layers the rest broilers for under 75 dollars. we went to pick them up of course as we had other things we wanted from that town.

I would find the closest hatchery to you and either plan a trip to them, as the shipping is almost as much as the birds nowdays, or find a friend who might be close to them and arrange to go see them. If you can get rid of the shipping cost you are a lot better off.

_Neal and Beth

7. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

The B&B Supply store here has had chicks for Easter at .49 for years. I will buy as many as I want for meat. Of course, I have to pick what I want breed wise and hope I get a few egg layers in the mix. I am getting them for the freezer this year. I love a bargin and the challenge. I have only lost one small chick in over three years. Of course I can't say that for the foxes. PAM