The Great Fight

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Vera, May 7, 2005.

1. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Preliminary results are in - Vera, 2; gophers,0!! Somebody throw some champagne on me, LOL! The yard looks a bit like a mine field after a herd of bison went through, but I caught and dispatched 2 very prolific gophers. They're DEAD, gone, fini, no more! Needless to say, I cockadoodled with pride after #2 and made sure that the cats realize what a great huntress I am (as in, "this was your job, how come *I* am the one who caught them??")

Ok, ok, so all the excitement may be a little over the top, but I tell you, after having tried everything from poison and Juicy Fruit to different traps and any gopher home remedy known to man, just to watch new mounds pop up every night all over my ground, a double-win is reason for dancing!

Water did it. Twice. Follow tunnels with the waterhose (blasting away the cap along the length of the tunnel), find the latest new dig, trap gopher in dead end of newest dig with water, gopher will come out of nearest hole to escape drowning. Then his miserable hide is yours :D

I felt bad for killing the first one... poor thing was just trying to do what gophers do, here and there in my yard. The second one, however, was making himself at home in the root stock of my lilies next to the wellhouse. No regrets about his death sentence!

Well, I'm off to celebrate my victory. Where's my belt?? LOL!

2. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

WooHoo! Way to go Vera!!! I have tried this method with no sucess so far, but after reading about your victories I will surely give it another try! It is so aggravating to go out each day and find 'new digs' that at times I just want to get the gun and start blasting away! I do have to give one of my cats kudos though. He has finally, at 2 yrs. old, figured out how to get them on occassion and much enjoys bringing them into the garage to show off his kill......good cat!

Jeannine

3. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

And I didn't even know it was gopher season :haha:

4. Countrystyle

Countrystyle Well-Known Member

Thank you Vera, for the idea. Had not seen this one. I have moles/gophers , some kind of burrowing creature, in my yard. Did not want to use poison for the grubs and make the moles/gophers go out in my pastures in search of food. Had finally decided to live with them. The dogs try to get them but they make trenchs to go along with the mounds! :waa:

Congrats are your victory!

Countrystyle :)