the garden

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by james dilley, May 7, 2004.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

as of today over half of my corn is tassling out, and the watermelons are vining. the squash is full of blooms, and the tomatoe plants and pepper plants are going wild. anyone else got corn this early??

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

We're also in Texas, and planted corn back in February, three times because the birds kept eating it. :rolleyes: Yep, it's big and pretty and tassling.
    The spaghetti squash and pumpkins are the ones going crazy.
    Little green tomatoes have appeared, and we've eaten the first several straightneck squash. :cool:
    Our watermelons and cantelopes are also beginning to vine. :)

3. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

Whoa! I'm in southern CA, & I just *planted* my corn & squash a week ago! Beans are going in next week. Lost my nasturtium seedlings to frost, the end of April; my peppers & tomatos were still in pots in the barn, so were OK. All my hot weather stuff has to wait until May, unless I keep it sheltered. Re the birds eating stuff - if you plant in hills, & only turn the soil lightly (leaving a lot of uprooted grass tufts, etc), when the corn comes up, the birds tend to not notice it in the other clutter, & the squash leaves choke out any leftover weeds pretty soon anyhow.

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Corn? Is that that white stuff that falls from the sky? :p

5. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Well I decided to not plant corn this year. If I had though I wouldnt have much more than a seedling if that. My warm season seeds havent germinated yet.
    Isnt so great to watch stuff grow, almost as fullfilling as watching you kids grow, just plants dont talk back....lol.

Kathy

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

And if you forget to water them for a week, they'll likely spring back, but if they don't.... it's ok!