Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just can't believe how stupid and arrogant some people can be when they get behind the wheel of a 2 ton piece of machinery.

Today, coming home from the store I stopped at a red light. I was turning left. Only one other vehicle at the intersection, a truck on the other side of the intersection which had no turn signals on. Light turns green. (no left turn arrow at this light) Truck sets there. A full 10 seconds later, still setting there. (and yes, I had my turn signal on and it does work) So hoping the truck will clear the way for me to make a legal left hand turn, I blow the horn. So truck comes through the intersection and the driver cusses me as he drives past! Why????

All I can think is maybe he couldn't afford his truck payments and he was mad at me for not turning so he could say I failed to yield the right of way. Yeah, I'm not that stupid.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
You wanna see stupid car and truck drivers.....ride a motorcycle for a while!!!!!!! You won't believe that many stupid people exist! I don't ride like the MSF says I should. I ride offensively!

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Oh, drivers are so busy doing other things that they don't have time to drive respectfully. It's like watching TV and cursing at the football game---you just have to not take it personally. I try to think that they are having a bad day---I try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You wanna see stupid car and truck drivers.....ride a motorcycle for a while!!!!!!! You won't believe that many stupid people exist! I don't ride like the MSF says I should. I ride offensively!
DITTO!! Each time I ride at night (occasional shiftwork) I wonder When (not IF) the car with the blue faced driver (from staring into their phone) will drift into my lane :grumble: I can count on it happening 2 out of 3 nights at least

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
No telling what goes on a traffic lights much less while people are driving. I have seen all sorts of things while driving and some I wish I had never seen. The guy at the light was probably doing his nails and you caught him off guard. By honking, you may have caused him to spill some of his glitter.
Hehe, that was funny.....glitter....I live in Los Angeles. ...i can totally see it!!!!

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...cycle-crashes-chanyoung-lee-motorcycle-riders

Around here easily more than half of the motorcycle fatalities are single vehicle accidents where the motorcuclist was going too fast to stick a curve and either hits a tree or goes off a cliff. And something strang I've noticed lately is so many of them are 50 to 70 years old.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I find driving more difficult as I age. I tend to drive at or below the posted speed limit which automatically means that traffic will pile up behind me very quickly. Even slightly over the speed limit will find someone 3" from my rear bumper within a few hundred feet these days. It's just not to be escaped.

Oh, and the people that think their little Honda is a race car with the little farting mufflers. I wonder all the time how much gas they waste by flooring it when they take off from a stop sign or red light only to go a whole tenth of a mile and then slam on the brakes cause they're turning. Stupid...

They don't use their turn signals. Often they have lights out that might be helpful in telling other drivers what they're doing or have headlights misadjusted so they shine their lights directly into your eyes instead of onto the road ahead of them. They weave in and out of traffic. They yack on their cell phones. They put on their makeup. They eat their fast food. They read. They play their radios at levels that make people wonder if there's an earthquake.

And heaven knows, you don't want to torque one of 'em off unless you're prepared for blazing guns and trying to run you off the road.

Just ain't good out there these days.

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bellyman, I hear you about the speed limit. Ohio recently raised the interstate speed limit to 70 in most areas. This means most drivers are doing 72 mph in the 65 zones. This also means I've got little cars trying to attach themselves to the ball hitch on the back of my van. I don't like going 70 when it's legal, and sure can't afford the ticket where it ain't.

JeffreyD, once on my way to work I watched a car clip the back end of a motorcycle that wasn't turning fast enough, in their opinion. That was a sick feeling watching that bike lay down and spin across the road. I was sooooo glad when the biker got up. But I have seen some terrible motorcycle drivers too. Weaving in and out of traffic, riding in the berm at high speeds, going so fast they pass me like I'm setting still. They know the cops won't chase them and they get away with driving however they want, until they hit something.

Around here it just seems like most drivers don't care about traffic laws and common courtesy when driving. Our car was clipped earlier this week by a hit & run who tried to pass between dh and a car that was turning. Once he got in front of dh, the driver slammed on the brakes. Dh barely missed hitting the car in the rear. When dh stopped the driver sped off.

I just don't understand why people can't be courteous and obey traffic laws once they get their driver's license. Seems like the older (between 30 and 50 years old) drivers are the worst offenders.

·
Bitter Clinger
4,787 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, I was stuck behind an old mercedes in the middle lane on a three lane highway. It's rush hour and crowded. I finally get the chance to pass him on the left (looked over as I passed and he was on his cell phone) and continued in the left hand lane doing 20mph over the speed limit, 80 in a 60mph (don't judge. it's not uncommon on that part of the highway but 80mph would be about the top end of the bell curve)

I see some guy in my rear view changing lanes back and forth, back and forth. He is stuck behind the same mercedes and the slower traffic in the right hand lane. Then he starts riding my behind. (I can't move to the middle lane, there's a line of cars to my right) Then switches lanes again and again until he finally catches a break and lets loose in the far right lane, passing everyone...but...and get this...

Instead of just taking off, he makes it a point to swerve into the far left lane in front of me. The jerk is less than half a car length in front of me. He brake checks me, then speeds off, probably doing at least 100mph.

I was really, really hoping he was not from around here and didn't know about the speed trap down the road, but no such luck. What a jerk.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,911 Posts
I got behind one of those tonight, in the drive thru at the bank. She did several transactions, I bet she held the line up for 20 minutes. That's when you need to park and go inside, witch!

On my drive home, there are two places where the road is two lanes at a light, then squeezes down to one lane after. In other words, drag strips. I would rather have Johnny Hot Rod who squeals the tires and redlines his motor to make sure he gets ahead of me, than Clueless Driver who gets up beside you, then notices their lane is about to end and thinks the only solution to their problem is for you to slow down and let them in. Guess again, scooter. I try to be a courteous driver but the same thing day after day after day wears you down and sucks all the courtesy right out of you!

I used to drive an Olds Aurora, 4 door, looked like an old lady car but it had a V8 and when you put your foot down, you better be ready to go somewhere. I couldn't resist smoking a few young punks with their little Jap mobiles with the oversize mufflers at the "drag strips". Dude, turn your thumping radio down, it must be taking all your power! lol

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
...............I consider myself to be a mildly aggressive driver , I want folks to put their vehicles and their brain in gear and drive the speed limit ! Women , are the worst drivers , in general I have ever seen ! They are NOT in a hurry to do anything but start talking on their cell phones . They will Not enter the traffic flow unless they have a half mile of clear road , they can't seem to get their Tush in gear and use their accelerator properly . I go through this little drama everytime I have to leave W. Mart .
................I sure hope the Good Lord has built lots of shopping centers in Heaven cause there's going to be lots of very frustrated women IF they can't go shopping ! , fordy

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...cycle-crashes-chanyoung-lee-motorcycle-riders

Around here easily more than half of the motorcycle fatalities are single vehicle accidents where the motorcuclist was going too fast to stick a curve and either hits a tree or goes off a cliff. And something strang I've noticed lately is so many of them are 50 to 70 years old.
Yup, that's me!!! I'm 55 and like Ozzy said "I don't want to stop"!! I just gotta go. My wife says I'm a race waiting to happen. Any time, anywhere, I'm up for it. My street Suzuki makes 200 hp and weighs 500 pounds. Quarter mile....mid 9's at 160mph all.day. But, I'm more.of a canyon guy! I don't have "chicken strips" on my tires....just clagg!!! I am cutting back on the wheelies and stoppies and such, but I just can't stop.the wrist from twisting!!! That's why I said I ride offensively, I won't wait for a car driver to do something stupid, I'm way past them before they can! I ride it like a dirt bike! Trail braking into corners, power sliding out at well past a 100mph is just so much fun (except when one crashes) I just can't help my self. My moto. ..bones heal, skin grows back!! And yes, I've been down a few times, hit a car broadside(turned right across my lane) and as someone else posted it's not "if" but "when". My buddy crashed out in the desert and is now a quadriplegic. He told me he's ok with it because he was doing something he loved. I love riding too!!! My wife doubled my life insurance policy! !!!:shocked:

Reactions: Sawmill Jim

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
I'm very glad for the light traffic around here and I don't have to be on the road a lot like I used to. I saw a LOT of stupid stuff in south Florida. All I can say is dash cam.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
North Hollywood? Not a doubt in my mind!!!
Yes, NH! But, technically it's Valley Village. We're still nothing like West Los Angeles, thank god! Interesting how things change. In the mid 70's, some friends and I used to go to a club a few blocks away...The Sugar Shack. Glitter make up was really popular back then. (Not for me since I was a surfer) Man, the stories I could tell! !!!! :teehee::nono:

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
DITTO!! Each time I ride at night (occasional shiftwork) I wonder When (not IF) the car with the blue faced driver (from staring into their phone) will drift into my lane :grumble: I can count on it happening 2 out of 3 nights at least
We had a horrific accident a few weeks ago. Both women were well known in the county. One was 34. the other was 49. The 49 year old was behind a semi and decided to pass at one point. There were at least two oncoming cars. The first hit the berm. The second never had a chance to play dodgem. They met collectively doing 120+ mph. No skid marks. One was wearing seat belts. One wasn't. The one that wasn't, didn't leave the car. Both died instantly on impact.

Completely avoidable. That was first time they've ever brought in counselors for the first responders.

I've grown accustomed to potential actions by others that can lead to accidents. It's gotten to be habit. I'm not sure I would have expected someone to do a pop and go from behind a semi on that stretch of road which was a good two lane secondary in a rural setting.

There are several long straight sections including a few after KYA curves when a good driver can pass a slow driver immediately or even in the curve because of the sight distance.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts