Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a little about Baha'i and am intrigued. Does anyone have first hand experience with it?

What does the Baha'i Faith teach?
The Baha'i Faith teaches that there is one God, that all humanity is one family and that there is a fundamental unity underlying religion. Baha'u'llah affirms that this is the age in which world peace will be established. As anticipated in the sacred scriptures of the past, humanity will achieve its spiritual and social maturity and live as one family in a just, global society.

What are some basic teachings of the Baha'i Faith?
While retaining the basic spiritual teachings of all the Messengers of God, the Baha'i Faith brings new social principles relevant to the needs of a global society: the oneness of humanity, equality of men and women, the abolition of prejudice, the harmony of science and religion and the elimination of extremes of poverty and wealth.
http://www.bahai.us/welcome/frequently-asked-questions/

These Messengers, Whom Bahá’u’lláh called “Manifestations of God ,” are principally the Founders of the major revealed religions, such as Abraham, Moses, Buddha, Zoroaster, Jesus, Muhammad, and so forth. It is the spirit released by the coming of these Manifestations, together with the influence of Their teachings and the social systems established by Their laws and precepts, that enable humankind to progress in its collective evolution. Simply put: the Manifestations of God are the chief educators of humanity. Thus the principle of the unity of religion means that all of the great religious Founders—the Manifestations—have come from God, and that all of the religious systems established by Them are part of a single divine plan directed by God.
http://www.bahai.us/welcome/spiritual-concepts/oneness-of-religion-2/

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
One of my professors in college was a Baha'i and we had many interesting discussions on the validity and value of religion.

As for most religions, it would be difficult to get people to see past their own ideas, upbringing and thoughts. I have some firends back home in Georgia that when I speak to them about how we are doing out here in Missouri now they are always saying how well G-d has provided for us and taken care of us. I always counter that I don't see anyone else cutting wood with me, or breaking up the dirt, or digging the well, or plucking the chickens, etc. It has gotten to be our running joke, but in their mind, I think they really feel that.

They were brought up to believe that everything (and I mean everything) that is either good or positive or helps you out is a product of G-d doing it for you while anything bad, detrimental or just down right depressing is not any of G-d's doing. How can one person, by talking, change what they have been taught for years and believe?

The future of religion is the same as it's past unfortunately. The sides will never agree, and none of the 'other' religions are right. Heck, take the three mono-religions that garner the news (Judaism, Islam and Christianity). There is more in common between Islam and Christianity than Judaism and either of the other ones. Yet, we see who forms the bonds.

I always like discussing topics like this with level headed people, but usually, most people fall into the "You are wrong and I am right' category and then you might as well hit your head on a brick wall for all the good you can do.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always like discussing topics like this with level headed people, but usually, most people fall into the "You are wrong and I am right' category and then you might as well hit your head on a brick wall for all the good you can do.
I'm looking at it from a sociological point of view. It incorporates much of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, so it might be acceptable to many that are not dedicated to their current religion. It provides a possible way to bridge the gap between different religions. It also seems to focus on the positive aspects or religion, rather than the negative. By that, I mean it focuses on the does rather than the don'ts.

One thing I have always been fascinated by is how productive and prolific the people of certain religions are. To a large extent, I think the US has done so well because our Jews are better than their Jews! Compare the number of Nobel prizes won by Jews to any other religion and it is amazing how many Jews have won for being such a small percent of the population.

In terms of Christian denominations, the same is true for Mormons. And in terms of Islam, very few have won Noble prizes, especially in the sciences.

Just some random thoughts.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I've had some exposure to Baha'i and been to a few of their meetings, likewise with several other religions since it's been a hobby of mine over the years. Baha'i is now one of the fastest growing religions in the world. As religions go, I like Baha'i because it's a gentle faith and the Baha'i folks are gentle and calm, they're not aggressive about their beliefs.

I have a question for you though. Regarding "The Future of Religion" as you've titled this topic, are you referring to the future of religion in America only, or the future of religion globally in general? I ask because I think the present state and future of religion in America is different from the present state and future of religion in other developed countries.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had some exposure to Baha'i and been to a few of their meetings, likewise with several other religions since it's been a hobby of mine over the years. Baha'i is now one of the fastest growing religions in the world. As religions go, I like Baha'i because it's a gentle faith and the Baha'i folks are gentle and calm, they're not aggressive about their beliefs.

I have a question for you though. Regarding "The Future of Religion" as you've titled this topic, are you referring to the future of religion in America only, or the future of religion globally in general? I ask because I think the present state and future of religion in America is different from the present state and future of religion in other developed countries.
World. I think man needs a moral code and religion seems to be the best way to provide it.

·
Dallas
13,851 Posts
. I have some firends back home in Georgia that when I speak to them about how we are doing out here in Missouri now they are always saying how well G-d has provided for us and taken care of us. I always counter that I don't see anyone else cutting wood with me, or breaking up the dirt, or digging the well, or plucking the chickens, etc. It has gotten to be our running joke, but in their mind, I think they really feel that.
Prayer from the movie Shenandoah given by Jimmy Stewart's charector

Charlie Anderson: Lord, we cleared this land. We plowed it, sowed it, and harvest it. We cook the harvest. It wouldn't be here and we wouldn't be eating it if we hadn't done it all ourselves. We worked dog-bone hard for every crumb and morsel, but we thank you Lord just the same for the food we're about to eat, amen.

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
I am not a religious person, but am a person of faith. I am a Christian. I not only believe in God, but have a close personal relationship with him. Religion, even when well meaning, has to many trappings of man. And for some reason, the more the trappings of man the less the closeness to God. Whether a particular Religion rises or falls in popularity, there will always be people of faith. My relationship with God comes through Christ and it is in Christ that I have my faith. He is the constant in my life.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Jesus Christ IS God. Failing to recognize that will have one conjuring the best possible way to save oneself, which is a failed endeavor. Like a "fat free" donut, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Only one way to our Heavenly Father and that is Jesus.

big rockpile

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
World. I think man needs a moral code and religion seems to be the best way to provide it.
Okay. I agree that man needs a moral code but I don't think any one religion can be the 'be all to end all' to provide a universal moral code. What I think is there will be a future demise of established named religions globally as inevitable globalization sets in around the world and single established religions will take a back seat to a blending of universally merged faiths with common moral factors, and acceptance/belief of an un-named higher power. I already see this happening in some other developed countries.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay. I agree that man needs a moral code but I don't think any one religion can be the 'be all to end all' to provide a universal moral code. What I think is there will be a future demise of established named religions globally as inevitable globalization sets in around the world and single established religions will take a back seat to a blending of universally merged faiths with common moral factors, and acceptance/belief of an un-named higher power. I already see this happening in some other developed countries.
Which is why my op was about Baha'i, which I believe is the 1st modern religion to merge faiths.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Which is why my op was about Baha'i, which I believe is the 1st modern religion to merge faiths.
Yes, as you said above, it's a merging of 3 recognized faiths and it's a good start. I think eventually there will be a universal spirituality and moral code (not a religion), a blending of all previous faiths into one spiritual belief system of all that is with no named "God".

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, as you said above, it's a merging of 3 recognized faiths and it's a good start. I think eventually there will be a universal spirituality and moral code (not a religion), a blending of all previous faiths into one spiritual belief system of all that is with no named "God".
It's more than 3 faiths.

In addition to the writings of Baha'u'llah, Baha'is also recognize as divine scripture the writings of His Herald, the Bab (Siy--- Ali Muhammad, 1819-1850); the Quran; the Old and New Testaments; and the sacred writings of Buddhism, Hinduism and Zoroastrianism.
http://www.bahai.us/welcome/founders-and-history/bahai-sacred-writings/

They see it as a progression with new messengers being sent by God from time to time.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
And Baha'u'llah is one of the many messengers.

Well, I think if a person prefers to have a religion to guide them through life then Baha'i is certainly a good choice. All the Baha'i people that I've met where I live are wonderful people and they are very happy and generous hearted.

I like the religion for its virtues and message but it's not for me simply because it's a religion and all religions have certain rules that must be abided by its faithful followers and Baha'i is no exception in that regard. The one thing that put me off the most about Baha'i - when I was attending meetings to learn more about it - was that there are certain dietary or substance restrictions, and followers are expected to fast during the Nineteen Day Fast. Although I understand the reasons for the Nineteen Day Fast and don't really find any fault with the reasons for it, fasting is not for me and I don't need any religion to tell me what or when to eat and how to conduct my life.

Info about the fast: http://info.bahai.org/article-1-4-7-2.html

·
Outstanding in my field
3,339 Posts
There is the problem of sin.... I will define sin as being less than perfect. If God created man then why is man less than perfect ? Is it because God is less than perfect ??????? Or why would a perfect God create an imperfect man ???

.... or is man born perfect and learns to sin ????

How do Baha'i believers deal with sin ???? What is their remedy for the problem ?

·
Premium Member
41,015 Posts
While retaining the basic spiritual teachings of all the Messengers of God, the Baha'i Faith brings new social principles relevant to the needs of a global society: the oneness of humanity, equality of men and women, the abolition of prejudice, the harmony of science and religion and the elimination of extremes of poverty and wealth.

Ok, I see some serious problems here.... this new religion is obviously overlooking human nature! eliminating prejudice? economic equality? world peace? nice dreams.... but I dont see them becoming a reality.... considering the nature of the beast we call humans. Greed, envy, jealousy are just too much a part of who we are to ever become that utopian dreamland.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Moonriver

Did you mean the title to go with your first post? I think that the header/title and does not reflect the original post. That may be why you are getting the variety of answers.

Maybe if it were retitled to something along finding if anyone knows Baha'i.

That may get you more information and less conflict of whether you will spend eternity here or there.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I'd like to know how you can blend the Koran and other religious texts, when the Koran openly demands muslims kill non-believers.
That's easy. You exclude all the nasty stuff and only include all the good stuff.

It's like cooking a good meal, if you can think of it that way. A good meal is a merging of many wonderful ingredients and flavours married together by a sensible chef that is not excessive with the spices he throws in and who understands the best meal is the one that is appreciated by all diners, not just a few.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts