The Fila Brasileiro

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Smith, May 29, 2004.

1. Smith

Smith Active Member

2. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Really, you can't take care of your horse , you cant afford it, you feed it dog food and chicken mcnuggets, you have SO many animals that no one will help with, WHY would you even think of getting a dog. :rolleyes:
    People here have seen through you, please stop before you make more of a fool of yourself than you already have.

3. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

Fila Brasileiro (aka 'Brazilian Mastiff') is a huge dog (males: 110 lbs minimum, typically range from 140 - 180) and the breed (as a whole) is known for being *extremely* distrustful of strangers. Actually, it's supposed to be the most distrustful of all dogs. Yes, this might sound good for a guard dog - but these require an *very experienced* owner. In fact...

"This is a serious working dog with tremendous strength. Very few people really have the knowledge, facilities, or skills necessary to manage this breed".

I grew up with rottweilers so I'm very familiar with large protective dogs. But the filas make rottweilers look like lap dogs. I - personally - would consider them highly dangerous. (I can't swear to this but I believe they are the only breed where it's not considered a fault if they try to attack the judge at a dog show. :eek: :eek: )

They also drool a lot and are very prone to 'gassiness'.

4. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

These are NOT safe pets, frankly. I'm not even convinced that they're safe working dogs.

I have a friend who has gotten several in as she does dogo argentino rescue (and the breeds are somewhat similar) and all of them have been nightmare dogs. If you like the type, look at American Bulldogs or maybe even dogo argentinos- they'er a LOT more managable. From your posts on the equine board, though, I'm not really sure you need ANY dog.

The fila pepole *I"'ve met don't seem to be especially interested in working their dogs, either. They want huge heads, aggressive temperments, and good hips. Haven't seen ANY of them in obedience, herding, or even agility and flyball. *Might* have seen one at a weight pull event, didn't ahve a chance to talk to the owner. I don't know of any in protection sports, either, but I'm involved in those and don't know many people. Just a lot of claims of 'protective' 'killer' and 'giant'.... and very few actual titles to back stuff up.

For REAL, sane protection dogs, German Shepherds and Malinois are the way to go.

Cait

5. Sunrise

Sunrise Well-Known Member

"Extreme distrust of strangers to the point where he detests being touched by anyone outside his family "
    "Providing tons of socialization to avoid indiscriminate aggression"
    "Aggression toward other animals"
    "Strong-willed mind of his own, requiring a confident owner who can take charge "
    "Serious health problems and a short lifespan
    Legal liabilities (public perception, future breed bans, insurance problems, increased chance of lawsuits)"

If you have children, I do not recommend a Fila Brasileiro. Young Fila Brasileiros (up to about two years old) can be bulls in a china shop. When they romp and jump, they do so with great vigor, and things can go flying, including people. In addition, Fila Brasileiros may try to protect their own children from other children, which could lead to tragedy if kids are simply roughhousing and your Fila Brasileiro decides to stop it. With such a massive dog, I wouldn't take the risk.

Animal aggression. Some Fila Brasileiros will not tolerate another dog of the same sex. Some have strong instincts to chase and seize cats and other fleeing creatures. If anything goes wrong in the breeding, socializing, training, handling, or management of this breed, it is capable of seriously injuring or killing other animals.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/filabrasileiro.html

6. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Judging by the care you take of your other animals, it might be smart to wait until you can afford to feed them before you take on another mouth...

2 year-old Rottie Male

[​IMG]

7. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

All dogs have to be trained! Certain breeds have certain characteristics & abilities, but they all have to be Trained to do what is expected of them. No breed is perfect, & all dogs within a specific breed have different personalities. Every dog will respond to training differently & it is up to the trainer to try to modify the behavior of each individual dog to what is acceptable for what it is being trained to do. Many dogs are either aggressive or passive by nature, or their personality. It is up to the owner/trainer to encourage the good traits, & discourage the bad ones. I guess what I'm saying is that it is up to you, as the owner/trainer, to ensure that your dog lives up to it's abilities & your expectations. I've owned many dogs over the past 50yrs, & I'm looking foward to the ones that I'll own in the future. It's just too bad that they can't be with us longer. I find it sadly ironic that our best friends, who offer us unconditional love,service,& loyalty, should be in our lives for such a short time. I just wish that they could really be our friends for life.

8. Shygal you hit the nail on the head! Thanks for pointing this out again so people won't fall into this kid's trap.

Listen Smith, all you do is post here to stir up trouble. You claim you have studied the breed for "many years"......hmmm exactly how old did you say you were again?? Some of us don't forget all the trouble you stirred up with your Unwanted Horse posting in the equine section.

Let's be honest shall we? ....The only reason you want information on this animal is so you can turn around and sell it for money. Yes, most of us saw your ads of all your other unwanted animals you were trying to sell or get rid of. If anyone has any concerns on this person please check out the Unwanted Horse posting and you'll see what type of person/kid this is.

Now.......be gone before someone drops a house on you!

9. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Again, more Smithtroll drivel. When Smith has deleted all her posts on this thread you'll know what her origional post was.

10. Fla Gal

Yeah right. :no: You're a bold-faced liar.

This is Smith's second post on this thread. She posted it after Corgitails response.

11. Fla Gal

Btw folks,

If you go to one of Smith's posts and click on "Profile" you'll find that she starts threads asking for advise and then tells us how bad our advise is and how we are such terrible people then she deletes every message she's posted.

I haven't check this evening but this morning only the last three threads she's started haven't been edited to delete all her posts.

Smith,

You must be very angry for being depraved in some manner and are in grave need of help. I suggest you seek counseling for your problem of craving attention. You could go to an authority at your school, if you're still in school, and tell them you need help.

If you've quit school you can go to an agency or association in your area that gives aid to teenagers in an abusive or bad situation. You can call the main number of the county administration in Morriston and ask whom you need to talk to to get counseling.

Fla Gal

12. Smith & FilaBrazil2004 are the same troll.

Note the play on words with her topic and alias name. The jig is up.

13. Fla Gal

Yep, you're right, same troll, same drivel. Hopefully Smith, FilaBrazill2004 and the sister (or Smith, or Ron?) posting as Unregistered will get the message.

I haven't checked on the profile of "FilaBrazil2004 but would bet a dollar to a doughnut most of the posts made by FilaBrazil2004 have also been deleted if she/he didn't agree with the replies that were posted to the thread.

She/he asks a question, disagrees with the replies, leaves in a huff and deletes all her/his posts, starts a new thread to continue the apparent lack of her/his education and good judgement .

Fla Gal

14. Fla Gal

For those of you that are interested, as of this evening, 5/29/2004 the last three threads started by Smith are the only ones she hasn't yet deleted her messages from.

15. Cygnet

Cygnet Guest

For what it's worth, there was a case were a small woman was walking a very large, very aggressive dog in -- iirc -- CA and the dog got loose and attacked another woman and killed her in front of her apartment. The dog was a Fila. The owner was convicted of manslaughter because the dog was known to be aggressive and the owner had encouraged this trait -- and she was not, physically, able to stop the dog when the dog attacked.

Any well-socialized dog will protect his or her owner in the right circumstances. My grandparents had a champion Golden Retriever stud who badly bit a burglar, and Goldens are not generally considered a protective breed. The burglar's parents attempted to sue my grandparents, incidently for harboring an "aggressive" dog -- the burglar was a teenager. (The golden stud was a champion or grand champion, I forget, did obediance and agility, and was a working gun dog. And I used to ride him like a horsey when I was a toddler. Not a problem dog at all, very highly trained, and very sane.)

I have little use for dogs with excessive aggression inbred into them. There's no need for it, there's a high probability of the dog hurting someone, owning an aggressive dog is a legal liability, and you can accomplish the same goal -- personal protection -- with a sane, sensible pet that has the native intelligence to know the difference between a neighbor and a burglar.

Leva

16. MamaWolfInWV

MamaWolfInWV Well-Known Member

You can't take care of your horse, so why do you want more animals you can't take care of? :no: You should take the $1200 you were going to spend on this dog and use it to buy HORSE FEED to properly feed your horse instead of feeding it dog food and pay someone to trim it's hooves. Besides that if you already know everything about this breed why are you on here asking for info about it? :confused: Same old troll, asks for info or advice and then disses everyone and disagrees with everything that everyone says. There are millions of message boards on the net, why don't go find another to troll on? :yeeha:

17. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Another nutcase, huh!

Oh well......ignore the troll and maybe he/she will go somewhere and study his/her naval!

18. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

That was a PResa Canario, not a Fila. The woman involved was recently released from prison.

19. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

20. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member