Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my pet Ga Noi. I'm a bit of an oriental fancier.I'm going to breed him to some assorted hens for making meat chickens next year. Hoping he throws some of his size and solid bones, (we eat a lot of broth), not to mention his sparse feathering. Probably not for everyone, but hey it might work out.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He just turned a year old. He should feather up a little more, but still very sparse, and a face only a mother could love. Weighs right at ten pounds.They obviously can't take the cold,(without help) but since I have him, why not let him father a few dozen meat birds? I'm sure he won't mind. Genetically speaking, he is not that far removed from the big Indian Games they used to make Cornish, although Old English Game was added and later Sumatra. At any rate, I should get hybrid vigor. I have some Cochins and some Marans hens to work with. The tendency not to play well with others shouldn't be a factor, they should be in a Ziplock before that kicks in. The worst part would be if they turn out to be tall, bony and gangly, but the Ga Noi tend to have a little more muscle and broader shape to their breast than some of the Malay and Saipan type stuff. With any luck maybe they will inherit the naturally friendly nature that the oriental birds are so well known for. Will be a fun experiment anyway.

·
Registered
912 Posts

He looks beautiful to me. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a White Bresse cockerel growing out. I'm thinking about putting him in with my English Orpington/Swedish Flower mix girls I hatched out this spring. I'm thinking that would make a nice sized meat chicken.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts