Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
MacCurmudgeon
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Black bear season is but three odd weeks away, and this hunter of bruins is more than ready for another go at "Ol' Slewfoot".

My .45-70-405 is all slicked up for the chance. I'll begin baiting the middle of the month, and by September 1st, with luck, we will be on a bear.

Is anyone else preparing for the fall bear hunt?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I've been seeing bear tracks in several drainages, one is a big boy. I've seen a few regular sized bear, too. I'm actually thinking of getting a tag this year. And now that you mention 45-70, I have a Marlin that has never got a bear, that might be fun.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Good luck Haggis!

When you score, we need pics!

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
i doubt i'll get any time in this year. even if i can get back to NC before the season closes, i lost my hogdog to a brain tumor in feb06 & my greyhoundX ain't much of a bear dog (though he did good on hog). without a dog in the hunt, well, I wouldn't feel right spearing a bear w/ other folks dogs even though they would be okay with it.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
is it legal to bait where you are? i'm near cherokee NF and it's very illegal.

just saying that because you might want to avoid posting it on a public board.

bears in the smokies are starving, due to lack of habitat. every so often a 600 pounder is killed. a bear that size has clearly been baited. the starving ones weigh around 150.

·
MacCurmudgeon
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Baiting is, as the link given above shows, permitted here, but there is a song and dance that goes with it: one cannot use raw pork fat, the state must be notified within a few hours as to where the baiting stations are, there must be a sign of yadd-yadda size and print bearing certain information near the bait station, and the list goes on, but it is legal though compliance is tedious.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Haggis said:
Baiting is, as the link given above shows, permitted here, but there is a song and dance that goes with it: one cannot use raw pork fat, the state must be notified within a few hours as to where the baiting stations are, there must be a sign of yadd-yadda size and print bearing certain information near the bait station, and the list goes on, but it is legal though compliance is tedious.
that's interesting. btw, it may be illegal here, but all the bear hunters do it anyway. some bears are fed for years before they are hunted. a neighbor of mine brought down what they said was a 600 pounder a couple years back. no way that bear was living on mast and berries.

·
GO VOLS!!!!
310 Posts
Of course they can be 600 lbs without being baited. They do have food competition with the wild hogs in the GSMNP. But I have done quite a bit of hiking there and have seen plenty of bears well over the 150 lbs you mentioned. Even did some camping with one of the hired hog killers and he even talked about the big bears in the park. I dont think a thinning of the heard would hurt the bears there tho. Even a hog hunt to reduce the numbers. He said that would never happen tho. The hog hunter I talked to said they kill 300 and some a yr I believe what he said and they are still plenty of hogs. He said they are only allowed to leave the hog laying or if it is in a trail or somehting they can move it. He said yo can come back on hour later and their will be no sign of the hog not even drag marks. But there are plenty of big bears there.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Outlaw9 said:
Of course they can be 600 lbs without being baited. They do have food competition with the wild hogs in the GSMNP. But I have done quite a bit of hiking there and have seen plenty of bears well over the 150 lbs you mentioned. Even did some camping with one of the hired hog killers and he even talked about the big bears in the park. I dont think a thinning of the heard would hurt the bears there tho. Even a hog hunt to reduce the numbers. He said that would never happen tho. The hog hunter I talked to said they kill 300 and some a yr I believe what he said and they are still plenty of hogs. He said they are only allowed to leave the hog laying or if it is in a trail or somehting they can move it. He said yo can come back on hour later and their will be no sign of the hog not even drag marks. But there are plenty of big bears there.
have you been there lately? the park is almost totally surrounded by 5 lane, high speed highways. (thanks gatlinburg and pigeon forge :rolleyes: :flame: :Bawling: ) it has gotten so bad, a few years ago a woman from my town was EATEN. the first recorded case ever of a human being killed by a black bear in gsmnp. her and her cub were starving. i've seen my fair share of bears, as they often leave the park searcing for food and end up in our back yards. i am always surprised by how small they are.

here's a link to some accurate info from the park website

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/black-bears.htm

now the wild hogs are another story.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
marvella said:
have you been there lately? the park is almost totally surrounded by 5 lane, high speed highways. (thanks gatlinburg and pigeon forge :rolleyes: :flame: :Bawling: ) i
and some people still believe that human overpopulation isn't an issue. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The new Interstate Highway 3 is proposed to run right along the southwest border of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and split that wild area from the currently adjoining wild areas of the Nantahala and Cherokee National Forests and would cost an unreal amount of money to construct thru there.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
hillsidedigger said:
The new Interstate Highway 3 is proposed to run right along the southwest border of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and split that wild area from the currently adjoining wild areas of the Nantahala and Cherockee National forests and would cost an unreal amount of money to construct thru there.
well, now that we have drifted way far away from bear hunting.... sorry haggis.

i am pretty sure that the interstate 3 issue is dead in the water. too much opposition from too many different places. thanks god.

·
MacCurmudgeon
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not to worry about a bit of a frift when it yet relates to the hunting of bears. :)

But speaking of bears and roads, earlier this summer Herself and I were riding Sultana (my Harley) on the most northern part of Route 2, a very rural area of Northeastern Minnesota, and we came up a large black bear sound asleep in the middle of the road; it was sunning itself! It sure left in a hurry when we got within about 50 yards of it.

·
GO VOLS!!!!
310 Posts
marvella said:
have you been there lately? the park is almost totally surrounded by 5 lane, high speed highways. (thanks gatlinburg and pigeon forge :rolleyes: :flame: :Bawling: ) it has gotten so bad, a few years ago a woman from my town was EATEN. the first recorded case ever of a human being killed by a black bear in gsmnp. her and her cub were starving. i've seen my fair share of bears, as they often leave the park searcing for food and end up in our back yards. i am always surprised by how small they are.

here's a link to some accurate info from the park website

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/black-bears.htm

now the wild hogs are another story.

Yep I have been there lately. Actually lived inside the park and worked a few months. So I have a pretty good Idea of the size of the bears I saw. Also you cant totally blame Pf and Gatlinburg. The park itself is the most visited in the U.S. You also have Knoxville and the Tri cities not to far away. Also you have a bunch of folk's from other areas that move there permanently and blame Pf and Gburg for stuff. Oh yeah the incident you mentioned was in 2000 I believe, that's been a few yrs. Do you really think the ones leaving the park are at the top of the waiting line for food. Nope it the bigger older bears. That just nature survival of the fittest.

Haggis here near where I live there is a place called roan mountain. A guy was riding a bicycle down it and actually hit a black bear with it. Its kinda funny to think about but had to be scary as hell. Imagine hitting a bear then being thrown off your bike and not knowing if the bear was mad.

·
MacCurmudgeon
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have at least one bear hitting my bait (donuts, sugar syrup soaked dog food, and beef suet). The varmint can eat the lot of it at a go, and I put out 25# of dog food along with 10# of beef suet; I don't weigh the donuts but there are usually 7 or 8 dozen added at each visit.

Season opens next Saturday so my fingers are crossed.

·
MacCurmudgeon
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My son and I went out to rebait my set today (in the afternoon) and a bear had torn down my long distance call bag; it's burlap bag containing a couple pounds of beef suet soaked in vanilla extract, anise oil, and liquid smoke. I tie the bag as high as I can reach a solid limb (8 feet off the ground in my case) and the bear stood on its hind legs and chewed the bottom out of the bag; its teeth and claw marks were clearly imprinted in the fabric of the bag.

Here's hoping the bear will repeat the performance the evening of the 1st.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts