Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fair here is still a little over a month away and I have 2 Alpine does i would like to show but i'm not sure how to go about doing it? like getting them ready etc... i want them to be as *pretty* as possible... any advice??

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well some folks will tell you about plumping up their back end, especially for meat goats. Like these attachments for the back of lawn mowers where the goat put it's front feet on, and lock their head in a head stall and they walk on the hind legs as the mower goes along.....not a fan of this, we've treated alot of injuries caused by this method. Other then the toning, and since you are primarily dairy I assume, you could add a bit of brewers yeast (a teaspon a day) to your grain to help skin and coat conditions. No harm done to milk if she is producing. Get a nice halter, or collar, start working with them on standing and leading. Trim up long hairs, make hairs even. Use a color specific shampoo about two days prior to show day, and wash each day including show the day of the event. Color specific such as hi ho silver for any white spots. Completely removes any dirt or stains from white, may take two washing but it works. I have a grey horse trust me I know, and it's safe of goats too. Use a coat conditioner after washing, dry the goat off well to keep the good sheen in her coat. Some people use horse hoof polish or shoe polish to make their hooves good a black. Honestly the judge wants to see a goat, not a show boat. Use udder balm a few days prior to the show to keep the bag looking good, no chapped areas or dry skin. Work with your goat now, as this shows in the ring. An unhappy goat does not place well, they do judge you as well. Just present a well groomed, well cared for animal, no need for pulling any frills. Use common sense, and you will do fine.

·
Registered
920 Posts
A couple of things we do when getting ready for a show.....

We always feed BOSS to help with coat condition especially before the fair! We body clip everyone about 2 weeks before the fair so everyone has a little hair growth back. Show sheen is an excellent product and inexpensive - should be applied the morning of the show. Practice standing and posing. We work with them about 2 hours per day starting about 3 weeks before the fair. Most of all - remember to have fun!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts