The egg that will tell you when it's perfectly boiled

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Gideon's War, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Gideon's War

Gideon's War Well-Known Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/07/31/negg31.xml

The egg that will tell you when it's perfectly boiled
    By Brian McGinley

(Filed: 31/07/2006)

It could be an answer to the prayers of people who, quite literally, cannot boil an egg. Or at the very least, a godsend for a new generation of students struggling with the most basic of culinary tasks.

Revolutionary "self-timing" eggs designed to overcome the perennial problem of how to avoid runny whites and overcooked yolks will appear on supermarket shelves in the coming months.

Perfect every time: an egg cooked with the new label
    The eggs are marked with logos in "thermochromic" invisible ink, which turns dark when it reaches a certain temperature.

Inks have been created to appear after three minutes to indicate a soft-boiled egg, after four minutes for medium and after seven minutes for a hard-boiled egg.

Shoppers will be able to buy the eggs of their choice in cartons marked "soft", "medium" or "hard".

The project was launched by the quality assurance scheme Lion Quality Eggs in response to thousands of people asking how to boil eggs properly.

Gilly Beaumont, of B&H Colour Change, which developed the logos, said: "We are still perfecting the technology, but we are very excited at the prospect of sorting a problem that has wound people up at breakfast time for decades."

The egg logos are the latest application of heat-sensitive technology, which is likely to transform future kitchen landscapes. Other inventions include oven gloves that not only have temperature sensors built in, but also "talk", with phrases such as "The food should be checked in 40 minutes".

Scientists have also been exploring the use of thermochromic technology on fire doors that change colour when hot, football jerseys that can tell when a player is overheating and on road signs that change colour to indicate icy road conditions.

Nestlé Rowntree has experimented with thermochromic logos on its chocolate wrappers in an attempt to cater for consumers who hate a soft KitKat bar. The label is printed directly on to the wrapper.

Once placed in the fridge, the bar cools down while a note appears indicating that the chocolate is ready to be eaten.

Such materials have already been used for some time on a range of products, such as for chill indicators on beer bottles and as safety features on baby spoons.

Meanwhile, a student has come up with a device designed to solve the morning-time conundrum of how best to soft-boil an egg.

The PerfEGG device keeps water temperature constant for 8.5 minutes without reaching boiling point, which aims to let the egg white coagulate but keep the yolk runny, regardless of egg size.

The timing of the device can also be adjusted for hard-boiled eggs.

Brunel University design student Ben Harris, 22, from Dublin, is in talks about launching his gadget.

He said: "I love soft-boiled eggs with toasted soldiers but I get so frustrated if I get the timing wrong and the egg is too hard to dip my soldiers in."

2. Gideon's War

Gideon's War Well-Known Member

I'm amazed at how lazy people are. Although with GM foods, my guess is the corn will scream when its put in the water and will get itself out when its cooked.

3. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

now i can sleep well at night :p

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Toasted soldiers - transulation please.

5. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

I think it is the small pieces of toast that you dunk into the yolk of the egg

I love toasted soldiers :p both kinds

6. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Toasted soldiers: Bread, toasted on both sides (like in an electric toaster), then buttered and cut into several (5 or 6?) thin strips.

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

8. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I don't see it catching on anytime soon. Problem is each square foot of supermarket space has to generate a profit or something else it put on it. This would essentially requiring a tripling of the egg area as you would provide S/M/L/J in S/M/H options. Thus, to expand the egg cooler something else, less profitable, has to go. My understanding is eggs are not much of a profit center for a supermarket - more of a loss leader.

Other aspect is one still has to be at the cooking pot to take the eggs off heat when the ink appears. Sometimes I remember I have eggs boiling just before all of the water disappears (and, well, OK, sometimes afterwards as well).

High tech answer to a low cost solution (simple manually set egg timer)?

Might just be a solution looking for a problem.

9. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

now now bob play nice

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Looks like it to me.

.....Alan.

11. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Dont need my food adulterated in any form,thank you very much.

booBoo

12. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    I kinda think this is a waterproof ink stamped on the outside of the eggshell. I wonder how much it adds to the cost of the eggs?

I get mine from the egg farm down the road (suburban life, can't have livestock), don't think I'd pay extra for a heat-stamped egg.

I like the ideas for road signs that change message with the weather or fire-doors with a heat display on them.

13. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

ok, can you imagine standing with your head over a pot of boiling water watching for the ink to appear?

I got better things to do. . .

Cathy

14. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

A perfectly boiled egg?

Isn't that when it can spin?

If it will not spin, drop it back in for another minute.

15. Pizza Guy

Pizza Guy Well-Known Member

Central California between Fresno & Bakersfield
    Perfectly boiled eggs are sooooo simple.

Put eggs in pan in single layer, don't overcrowd and add water to just cover. Bring to boil. Now this is the key - as soon as the water comes to a boil, cover pan and turn the heat off. On gas stove the pan can just sit on burner. On electric stove, move pan to cold burner. Let eggs sit for exactly 12 minutes. Remove eggs from pan and put them in cold water to stop the cooking.

That's it.

16. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

And to think I'm trying to go as "low tech", do-it-herself as possible.

17. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

what if they cant boil water?

18. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Ok great.
    Now if they could just invent a device that could toast a slice of bread on both sides. Think of it. Maybe with a knob that you could adjust to make it darker or lighter. And what about a way to cook coffee right in the cup. Just pipe dreams I guess.