The dreaded ugly vase

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by culpeper, Dec 10, 2006.

1. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

We've all got stories to tell about the ugly vase that Great-Aunt Myrtle gave us as a wedding present. How you hate the very sight of it, how it clashes with everything else you own, how people look at it and wonder about your taste, how the wretched thing just WON'T break!

I've always congratulated myself that I've never been given something quite so ugly and horrible, that I'd be ashamed to have in my home. Pride cometh before a fall.

People, it has finally happened to me! A dear friend of mine who is going away for Christmas called over last night to give me her Christmas gift. She was bubbling with excitement, couldn't wait until I'd opened it. Horror of horrors, it is the ugliest vase on the entire planet. I won't destroy your appetite by describing it - you just have to take my word for it. It doesn't not have a single redeeming feature, and of course it doesn't go with anything in my decor! 'Do you like it? Do you like it? Huh? Huh?', she gushed. I did not like lying to my best friend, but of course I had to, didn't I?

My son, who visited today, took one look at it, and gagged. I cannot repeat the words he used, beyond 'What possessed you to buy that thing, Mum?'. I explained, and he shook his head in disbelief.

I don't think my friend would believe me if, one day, I came up with a story about having a fumble-fingered moment. But my son suggested that perhaps she might believe a story about getting a vase from HIM for Christmas, and having to display it so as not to hurt his feelings.

This lady doesn't hate me. We've been friends for years and years, and she's always buying little things for me, some nice, some - well - interesting. I have a whole collection of totally useless kitchen gadgets, tiny garden gnomes, scarves (I never wear scarves) and the like that she's given me over the years. She even asked me to try and dispose of half a dozen pairs of men's socks, size 15 (that's as long as an ocean-liner) if I could find someone to give them to. I couldn't. She's a dear, sweet, loving person who really loves to give, but.....

:help:

2. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

puleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze.....can you post a picture??

(I have a soft spot for real ugly things)

3. culpeper

Sorry, I don't have a camera.

4. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

The entire concept of vases, cut flowers, flower arrangements is so totally foreign to me. Such things are for hospital rooms and funerals, IMHO, not houses where healthy, living people reside.

I've never had a vase, nor do I ever expect to have one. I wouldn't know what to do with a beautiful one let alone something like you describe. I'm sure if you try hard enough it might meet with some tragic fate - use your imagination.

donsgal

5. shiloh

shiloh Active Member

Can you improve on it with a can of spray paint? some things can be made more palatable that way. Or fill it with really droopy flowers that hang over and hide it.

6. Cloverbud

Cloverbud Well-Known Member

LOL...droopy flowers! Great idea! :bouncy:

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I need the socks. It's hard to find anything but kids size socks in stores around here. Size 10 - 13 is about all they have, and they are lying about them fitting a size 13 foot.

8. DonnaKay

DonnaKay Well-Known Member

Maybe it will grown on you. I've got a few things that I didn't like when I first got them but now they just seem to be a part of us....I've even bought a few things that I never thought I would like...hummels & a cuckoo clock for example....really didn't like those when we first moved to Germany but now I do.....give it time.

Donna

9. culpeper

Grow on me? You mean - like a rash? I don't think so. Really ugly things stay ugly forever!

10. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

I love fresh flowers in the house m'self, clip them from my own yard in the spring n summer. Is there anything you can put in it to hide most of the ugliness?

Can you possibly see it through rose-colored glasses since she's such a good friend? (~shrug~ I tried lol)

Well...how often is she in your home? Keep it handy, filled with somethin' or other(lol) and pull it out to display when she's visiting?

Lastly, a tragic accident involving the vase vs. a cat/dog/gerbil/vacuum cleaner/child?!?

(I gotta man that has the same sock complaint as you Mister Uncle Will--n' a boy fixin' to have the same complaint shortly!)

~~

11. culpeper

No pets. No kids. And she's a frequent visitor. One who notices things.

Trying to visualise the effect of rose-coloured glasses on a fluorescent murky blue-green with black swathes and a glass red rosebud stuck on it.

Nope. Can't do it.

She's going away for a month. It will not be on display for the duration. After that - I'm stuck with it.

12. Melissa

Melissa member

Well, personally if I don't like it, it is not in my house. I am pretty picky about what I look at all the time. Life is short...

When my kids and my Mom ask me what I want for Christmas, I tell them nothing I have to display forever. They know I don't like knick-knacks.

13. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I used to own a book on how to clear your house of clutter. One phrase I will remember forever. It said, "Gifts are symbols of love. Keep the love. Get rid of the gifts." And I do.

However, if you aren't there yet, vases at some houses are always kept in the cupboard until they have fresh cut flowers to go in them. And since I can't stand cut flowers, (They remind me of funerals, and I hate watching them die) the vases I don't like never see the light of day...and eventually disappear. The ones I do like are displayed with feathers in them. :p

You can manage this. You can.
    Meg

14. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

Fill it with fresh flowers and give it to her for her birthday! Tell her you know she loves that vase and you are too afraid that it will get broke at your house and it was too pretty to just store away.

Kathie

15. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

So all these years you have been hanging on to countless things that she has given you even though you dislike many of these things?

Life is too short to keep things around that fill you with dread, annoyance or nausea! Send it to me, I'll break it for you. (but not before I take a picture. lol)
    I never understood the reasoning behind keeping things that create a negative feeling in my home.

16. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could give some thought to the likely consequences of being a tad more honest with your friend, it could have great consequences :) Which is easier to do, be honest for a moment, or living a lifetime with an ugly vase? Just teasing, I know how hard it is to hurt someones feelings when they give you a gift...it's why I tell people it's okay with me if I give them something they don't like to give it away or toss it. Heck, if they are silly enough to display it - I'll be left believing they love it and will likely give them something else just like it :)

Hugs
    marlene

17. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

Your story so reminds me of this Thanksgiving. DH's mom didn't want to host dinner, so I volunteered. She had given me (in my eyes) a really ugly ceramic pumpkin for my birthday in October. I HAD to display it on Thanksgiving to keep from hurting her feelings. She buys and tosses so many things that I can give it away now and she'll probably never remember. I wish she would save her time and just get gift certificates. This has been going on for 25 years now, with clothes especially. How many times have I told her I'm xs to small, not medium! I take things back but rarely ask her for the receipts, so I only get the lowest price refund. Such is life. I know she puts great thought into the gifts. Now, if DH or the kids gifted me an ugly anything I don't know if I could get rid of it, but they surely know better by now. Actually, I keep a basket that includes my wish list items all year, the website or store name and phone number, all different price ranges. I've done this for years, but DH has only recently figured it out.

18. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Culpepper, I think the suggestion of giving it back to her with flowers in it for her birthday is an excellent one! However, she'll probably return the 'favor' on your birthday. In the mean time, I'd just put it away, and if she asks, tell her you're trying to 'de-clutter' so you don't have to dust so often, and have put away all your things like that. Eventually, maybe it will stay gone. Good luck, we all have this problem in one form or another, I think. Have you checked to be sure it isn't an antique worth a fortune? Watch Antiques Roadshow sometime. Jan in CO

19. mwhit

mwhit Well-Known Member

Hee, hee I had a great aunt Myrtle that was very eccentric... I was given all sorts of odd/ugly things-- now that she is deceased I treasure them just because they remind me of how quirky she was :) Find a spot not that noticeable for it or keep it put up-- tell her you love it and would hate to see it broken so plan to use it when you have some special flowers! Last resort-- hide it in your bedroom-- tell her you love it so much you're keeping it on your dresser or shelf and then sit something in front of it (a lamp or big clock??) She probably doesn't go into your bedroom everytime she visits, does she? You could also just be honest, but I know I wouldn't be... I hate to hurt someones feelings like that.

20. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

We too have an UGLY vase that my wife received two years ago from a client, that we can't seem to get rid of. Regifting would be downright cruel in this case. It's bright metallic blue, shiny, and just doesn't fit in here.

But we still have it.

Omnicat, give me your address. Get ready to receive lots of cool stuff.