the dreaded CL

Discussion in 'Goats' started by motdaugrnds, Mar 17, 2005.

1. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

Hello,

I thought it important I post the information I just received from Dr. Lindsay Oaks, Head of the Bacteriology Section of WADDL in Washington. I had sent them a sample from Midnight's knot, receiving this assessment of it:

"Staphylococcus aureus, Arcanobacterium pyogenes, Corynebacterium sp. ... Comment: Isolate not Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis."

Wanting to be sure of what this document was saying, I wrote them for a more thorough explanation. My letter was forwarded to Dr. Oaks and the following is her reply to me.

"....that is correct, this is not CL (there are many non-CL Corynebacteriums, so we make that comment to make sure it is clear when it is or is not CL). Based on the susceptibility testing on the second page, procaine penicillin G should be effective against the S aureus. The other organisms are always sensitive to penicillin. But you should lance and drain the abscess - it is very unlikely to heal (even with antibiotics) if it is not drained (and in many cases, drainage alone may be sufficient to heal the abscess)."

If I had not sent a new sample to Washington, I would have believed all I read on the forums about this and destroyed my doe. Now I know I do not need to do so. (Please know this is not a put-down to anyone on any forum. It is simply a statement of fact intended only to remind us all to be cautious.)

2. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the negative results. I know exactly how good that feels.

3. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

Hi -

Just wondering if you sent in a serum sample too or just the isolate from the abcess?

I'm thinking of testing for the first time this year so I've been doing a lot of reading and thinking! :rolleyes:

Beth

4. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

Lucky, I only sent in a sample from the abscess.