The DIY House: Plastering The Barrel Vault

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tio Ed, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Tio Ed

Tio Ed Active Member

Hey y'all:

I've had such a wonderful outpouring of e-mail from folks on this forum since someone here mentioned our humble DIY Labor O' Love (a/k/a "The Garage Mahal") in a thread last month, I thought I'd post a quick update.

Our house, completely self-designed and almost completely self-built, uses a lot of passive elements for temperature control. A thermal chimney and convection cooling are big parts of that and are why we have a large barrel vault ceiling over the living room. Before next summer we'll have added a fountain in the central courtyard to add evaporative cooling to the equation.

To plaster the inside of the ceiling, we suspended sheets of metal lath from the underside of the roof using cable ties and then hand-troweled the plaster into the lath. I've never seen this exact method used before for ceiling work and thought it might be of interest to any other DIY Demigods contemplating the same challenges.

Photos and other incriminating evidence can be found at:

http://www.texasmusicforge.com/gimmeshelter109.html

for anyone interested in DIY construction, magnificent obsessions, bad puns or the ridiculous notion that a forty-something homesteading married couple can somehow design, build and finance their own house while staying relatively sane, solvent and happily married.

Best regards to all,

Tio Ed
    Austin, Texas
    El Rey de Sweat Equity

2. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Ed

Did you mix your own plaster? or buy readi-mix?
    What did you use to mix the plaster?
    What kind of trowell?

Thanks
    Gary

3. Tio Ed

Tio Ed Active Member

Gary:

Experimented with several mixes and finally decided they weren't enough of an improvement over your basic boxed joint compound to use. As with everything else in the house (surface bonding stucco, ferrocement laminate roof, interior plastering), it's all spread by hand wearing heavy duty rubber gloves. There has yet to be invented a tool more infinitely flexible and downright - well - handy than the human hand.

Tio Ed

4. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Hi Ed,

I looked through your site when the first link was posted (thanks for another sleepless night, LOL!) and bookmarked it. It's not only interesting as a building concept, but I really liked how you took your cues from the olden builders who figured out way back when how things work best in that climate. Methinks that some of your components will end up being incorporated in a future Northwoods abode :)

Thanks for the update link, and happy building/finishing to you both!
    Vera >^..^<