Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a small, rural town. The closest cities with any appreciable shopping options are about 15 miles to the south of here.

What with the snow and bad driving conditions for several weeks, I took advantage of a break in the weather yesterday to take to the road and head for the mall.

Well, folks, I learned (again) that despite my best intentions and earnest desire, my stamina just ain't what it used to be. It's true...I'm just not a kid anymore. (and someone tell me how that happened!) By the time I'd driven from one town to the other, with several stops in-between, my battery was already running down. When I finished all I wanted was to get home, have something to eat and crash!

Fact is, you just can't get all your Christmas shopping done on one day. At least I can't! :D

Stef

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
I am fully convinced that shopping is more taxing to me than cutting firewood. I went shopping with Amy yesterday and that's hard work. At least when we do it the way we do. We don't put anything in the cart without comparing as to whether it's the best value and then agonizing whether it's really needed or not.

I must admit I look at something for a long time, pick it up, put it back, pick it up, put it in the cart, then two aisles later just can't bring myself to keep it and have to put it back.

Maybe if I were wealthy I wouldn't care... but it is indeed taxing.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I agree, shopping takes more out of me than putting up wood or any other task I do around the homestead..........that is unless I do it on the internet. Now that is my kind of shopping. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm just not a kid anymore. (and someone tell me how that happened!)
Inside of every old person is a young one wondering what the hell happened. :D:D:D:D:D

P.S. An all day shopping trip is one of the most tiring and frustrating things that one can do. Hope you got it all finished.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
the problem is that Dh can shop all day - and will. I get tired of the in and out of the car - in and out of the car. But not DH - he is always ready to go to just one more store!....ARG!

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
the problem is that Dh can shop all day - and will. I get tired of the in and out of the car - in and out of the car. But not DH - he is always ready to go to just one more store!....ARG!
Does your husband have a brother who just recently moved to WA, becuase if so, I am married to him!:D I confess. I am a wife who does NOT like to shop, married to a man who does! I feel your pain!

Cindyc.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
I have a two store limit. I hate shopping and I'm old.:D I said when the kids were gone and I hit 60, I wasn't going to be on any more committes, I wasn't going to wear high heels and I wasn't going into any more than two stores a trip to town. Even that's a stretch sometimes.

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am fully convinced that shopping is more taxing to me than cutting firewood. I went shopping with Amy yesterday and that's hard work. At least when we do it the way we do. We don't put anything in the cart without comparing as to whether it's the best value and then agonizing whether it's really needed or not.

I must admit I look at something for a long time, pick it up, put it back, pick it up, put it in the cart, then two aisles later just can't bring myself to keep it and have to put it back.

It is more taxing. Just like others said, it's the getting in and out of the car. It's the walking around for hours comparing this and that!!

Odd thing is, I can remember when it used to be fun.

Stef

·
Registered
2,726 Posts

Heck - I do that in the grocery store! I had won a $5 gift certificate for a local gift-type store. I must have been in there an hour trying to figure out how to get the most bang for my buck. :D

I have a time limit for how long I can stay in town without taking a nap - & I'm talking about our "big" city of 5,000! Going all the way to Spokane exhausts me.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I have a time limit for how long I can stay in town without taking a nap - & I'm talking about our "big" city of 5,000! Going all the way to Spokane exhausts me.
Sounds just like me! I need that nap when I come home. :p

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Heck - I do that in the grocery store! I had won a $5 gift certificate for a local gift-type store. I must have been in there an hour trying to figure out how to get the most bang for my buck. :D

lol, I WAS talking about grocery shopping.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
Shopping in any store takes more patience and physical strength than I can get together. There's nothing in a store that's worth the stress to go buy it. I shop almost entirely online. Then again, DH does most of the grocery and coupon purchases, so I really don't have to worry about that.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Regular shopping I can do - groceries, bread store, etc. But clothes shopping?! And with my Mom?! She comes to town about every 2 years and wants to take me shopping, along with a few children in each trip. She can just shop me into the ground!!! Leave at 10AM and at 8PM she is still wanting to go to "one more store". I collapse when we get home, and she is ready to play Scrabble. Of course for that I will stay up until 2AM. :) I do make her give me a day off between trips. :)

By about the 3rd trip I am starting to get the hang of it and drink a caffeinated soda - that helps a lot!! :) Camille

·
Registered
303 Posts
I don't mind grocery shopping. I can zip through that very efficiently. It's carrying it into the house and putting it all away that I don't like.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
i am another gal who hates shopping. i did it today, ugh. i go in, thinking "oh goodie, i'll buy this, that, and the other i've been needing" and then i get sticker shock. are they for real, that stuff is worth THAT much? nope, we'll do without some more. i've been outta paper towel for a while--the family goes thru them lightning speed. so, i cut up some old tshirts and we use those instead. and at the prices i seen today, we'll KEEP using them! i got lots of old tshirts, and really, they make great 'paper towels'. if they are used for something too icky, toss it!

i even tried to buy a heated bucket today for goats, but the store's price was several dollars higher than online, so i asked the guy, and nope, wont' deal. so i said fine, guess online it is! they have ads on the radio here alot now, about how we're cheating our state doing online shopping--but with our local prices, i can't do it any other way! and lots of online places give cheap or no shipping, and no taxes.

rose--how do you do groceries only once a month? i do a big-buy a few times per year of stuff that is shelf stable, but like fruit, fresh veg, cheese? i'd love to know how to get away with that!

had a giggle today at walmart. i had 2 carts, full. really full. the checker boy says, oh, dont' you have any help with you? i said no, i came alone, THAT is help enough! then he says, oh, this is like vacation for you then. yup! spend too much on way too little, that's vacation! hahah!

G

·

That's a lot how I do it and it is very tiring.
Amazon is my friend. As for grocery shopping...once a month is it. 2 hrs and I'm done.

Rose :)
I wish I could get everything via amazon.

I do the big bill of groceries once a month, and then have the weekly stops for milk, produce, and deals.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts