Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Sock puppet reinstated
28,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at pictures of before and after. Pictures of entire trailer parks gone. Boats washed onshore and between homes. Neighborhoods burning. Bridges gone.

I can't even comprehend how much work there will be to clean up and then rebuild.

·
Registered
22,059 Posts
But people will build right back in the same place just to live by the ocean. I read that 60% of the dollar damage worldwide from hurricanes is in the US. In most countries subject to these storms people have sense enough not to build on the waterfront.

·
Registered
43,395 Posts
Climate expert Mika Brzezinski told her co-hosts Thursday on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” in the aftermath of Hurricane Ian in Florida that storms are worsening because the temperature in the world’s oceans was rising partly due to human-caused climate change.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Florida is a horrible place to live and I would never live there voluntarily, but it's not like all the damage is to the multi-million-dollar houses on the beach. Flooding can go miles inland from a bad storm surge. Sucks for those average people who just live there because they were born and raised there.

I read that 60% of the dollar damage worldwide from hurricanes is in the US. In most countries subject to these storms people have sense enough not to build on the waterfront.
Nah, they build on waterfront almost everywhere. It's just that our waterfront properties are worth a lot more than most. The shacks washed away in Mexico and the islands don't add up to much dollar wise.

·
Registered
43,395 Posts
My wife says the group living in and around Palm Beach are only under warnings at this point. Several others have lost power so she hasn't heard from them yet.
You can send a couple up my way, oh wait, my wife's sister is here. They could pitch a tent

·
Administrator
19,403 Posts
But people will build right back in the same place just to live by the ocean. I read that 60% of the dollar damage worldwide from hurricanes is in the US. In most countries subject to these storms people have sense enough not to build on the waterfront.
I watched the same on a smaller scale when we had massive flooding and fires in Ft Mac. A lot of the problem lies with insurance companies in the sense that they don't give you the option of rebuilding your home in another location, they repair or rebuild your home exactly where it was and the only recourse would be to sell and move.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts