The Deal of the Century?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Haggis, May 22, 2005.

1. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

A fellow called me the other day to come see a cow and calf pair he had for sale. He lives just down the road, so off I went to see this steal of a deal he had for me.

The little stunted cow, coming a 4 year old, weighed about 600 pounds (no, she's not a Dexter), and had a month old bull calf in tow. The fellow said he would take $850 for the pair, but went on to say that IF he sold them to me: 1. I would have to guarantee the cow would be rebred to a beef bull this summer, 2. I would have to sell the cow back to him in the fall for $350, 3. I could keep the bull calf.

Basically, it seems to me, I must buy an 80# spring bull calf, and fatten it myself while paying what may be a high fall price for it. Thrown into the bargain, and I must feed its mother all summer and see to it she is bred.

I have so far been able to resist this steal of a deal.

2. pygmywombat

pygmywombat Well-Known Member

Wow, that is right up there with a "deal" we were offered when we were looking for a milk cow three and a half years ago. A guy wanted to sell us a "milk" cow (who was actally about 1/8 Jersey and the rest Beef Shorthorn and Durham) with 3 fostered Jersey bull calves on her. He wanted $1000 for her and the calves, but we had to keep the calves on her for 6 months and give them back to him in the fall!

We were new to cattle, but sure weren't that stupid!

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Man, Haggis, you must've spent a lot of sleepless nights rasslin' with that one. Some people have nerve, don't they? :eek:

4. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Someone is stealing here, alright, but it sure isn't you Haggis! :haha: :no:

5. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, you passed that up? I mean it's not every day you get the chance to invest only $700-800 and a lot of work in a calf worth $150. Are you sure you really want to pass on this deal?