The day after I pickup my pig

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by djuhnke, Mar 1, 2005.

1. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

I've never raised pigs before (I've got chickens now and slowly easing into the homesteader thing) and I'm getting a tamworht ina few weeks. After I pick up my bred gilt and she has he piglets, what is next? Do I need to innoculate them? I'm trying to be as organic/wholesome as possible (pasturing the pigs) without any antibotics. ANy words of advice? I'm alternatiing them between 2 1/2 acre plots. Any thoughts?

Dan

2. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Dang Dan, You sound EXACTLY like me. I'm a couple years more advanced though. You're a bit more ambitious too ... I bought feeders and raised them first ... didn't jump right into farrowing.

IMO, Pigs are the easiest things to raise. Just don't underestimate them when building the fence or shelter. Minimum 4' high and STURDY ... or electric. Loading them can be tricky too.

If they get out, don't worry. Just fix the area they got out at (very well) and leave the gate open. They'll return for food ... probably at night. Just have to close the door before they leave again.

Keep the protein higher for the pregnant sow and when lactating.

Stop feeding meat scraps 30 days before butcher, IMO.

What's next? find a stud service or get a boar for next round.

3. farmy

farmy Well-Known Member

I'd sure vaccinate your weaners, especially if you (like us) want to stay away from antibiotics. Appropriate vaccinations are actually required under organic standards, while antibiotics are not allowed (though you are required to treat a sick animal with them if needed, you may no longer sell that animal as organic).

I've just learned this vaccination lesson the hard way - see post on erysipelas.

-Farmy

4. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

I feel bad for your problem but it is pretty rare in a lot of areas. Dan, I'd check with your ag extension office or at least feed dealers.

Are you sure you can still call it organic if you vaccinate? I didn't think so.

5. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

We don't give them any shots. We're fairly isolated and there isn't a lot of disease concern. But check with your local ag ext to see what is in your neck of the woods.

Since we raise ours on pasture they don't need the iron or vitamin shots either.

Rotate them through smaller plots, about half an acre or so each week. Watch how fast they go through it. That is better than just having two paddocks. The ground should get about a months rest between visits.

Have fun!

-Walter
    in Vermont
    in a flurry of white